Options

Laptop/Tablet Recommendations

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So my wife and I are having a weight loss competition that starts today, first person to hit their target weight wins, I have to lose 19 pounds and she loses 15 pounds. Each of us are putting up $500 in cash and we put the $1000 in cash and taped it on the wall in our bathroom. Whoever hits their goal wins the cash.

Now I plan on using it to buy a new laptop. I'm looking for a lightweight laptop/tablet combo, one I plan on using in while I'm sitting in living room while watching TV. Maybe do some reading on it... Already got a big gaming laptop and hate lugging the huge thing around.

What are your recommendations? I'm thinking Surface Pro 4 right now but wondering if anyone else has used any of those other 2in1s they have liked. Willing to go over $1000 but nothing too crazy.

This is all assuming I win the competition though... icon_silent.gif

edit: also, realize some people hate these 2in1s, too bad it's happening!

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, let me first congratulate your wife on winning. I hope she enjoys her Target store credit.

Now months from now, after she feels sorry for your loss and allows you to make a purchase again, I would cautiously recommend the surface line up. ;) Everyone who has one here loves the portability and all of the "real PC" features.

If you are leaning more toward a pure tablet, I would also take a look at the Ipad Pro with a keyboard attachment. Work bought my the 10 inch version. The thing is super quick loading pages, reading, and awesome for playing Hearthstone. I think the larger model would be perfect for me to read articles and blogs. I have a ssh client loaded so I can manage my network devices. It's just really awesome for consuming content.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had a Surface Pro, the new keyboard is way better than the original. I never used it as a tablet though, all the tablet apps I use regularly are iOS or Android only. When Evernote discontinued their tablet app for Windows I kinda saw the writing on the wall. OneNote is pretty good on it though, I really don't care for the tablet version of OneNote though.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I replaced my 4th gen iPad with a Surface Pro 3, and I have to say - I love the Surface. I use OneNote as my note taking app, and it's fantastic - I used OneNote on the SP3 to hand draw all of the graphs for my Economic Analysis class. I've got Office 2016 installed on it, and have no issues opening the full suite of office documents.

From a gaming perspective, I think the SP line cannot be beat - you can install Steam and play all manner of games. There are a pretty good selection of touch enable games (Civilization and Banner Saga are my two most recent played), and if you want to play something that needs a controller, the new XBone S Bluetooth controller works seamlessly.

All that being said, there are some interesting oddities... There's an official Box.com app in the MS Store that acts like the iPad/Android version (it doesn't cache or store files locally), but you can also install the desktop version, which would (thus consuming disk space, and additional battery [for the sync process]).

Anyway, I'd say the SP would be a great choice!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the replies!!! Yea, pretty sure I'll be getting a Surface if I win. My wife is talking how she wants to get a nice camera with the money... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Looks like you already got some good advice here. Just wanted to add my two cents (for what it's worth :D). I had a Surface Pro 3 for a few months, and purchased it with the exact same intent as you. I wanted something I could use to browse the web or read a book while sitting on the couch. I found that setting the Surface on my lap was not very comfortable due to the kickstand, it didn't seem very stable. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the keyboard. I type really fast, and the keyboard seemed to flex anytime I hit a key. Probably just me tho...

I have since switched to a Surface Book and am extremely happy with it. It costs a bit more, but it's totally worth it IMO. No clunky kickstand, and a much stronger keyboard.

Have fun shopping and good luck!
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging