Options

Ever had this happen? I hope not

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
So normally in our department, this is actually company wide when someone is promoted an email goes out to the immediate team and usually the whole department. If you are a who's who it will go out company wide.

***Fortune 500 Company

A few months back I was promoted, good stuff. However........ When they listed my previous achievements they mentioned a certification I have listed and that I received my bachelors from a popular state school, but...... They omitted my MBA from an on line university. ( for the sake of not rattling the hornets nest I will not disclose the University, but it's VERY populate on here).

What does this mean? Just recently we have a analyst get promoted to manager and they listed his MBA which was from a "solid" back and mortar along with his bachelors.

I just found that strange......

Thoughts? The company acknowledges the degree here so........

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Who knows? Could've just been an oversight.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I say, don't worry about it. Small potatoes, if you ask me.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    The question I ask is if I had a MBA from Stanford would they have left it off? The answer is no.

I agree not a big deal, but it is sort of telling. That they don't value the degree that much.......

Of course I am working off of an assumption.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would assume the person who sent the email out has a issue with you and you should retaliate with equal force. Seems like your back is against the wall and that is only way to proceed from my view. Best of luck, let us know how it goes down!
  • Options
    Infosec85Infosec85 Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would assume the person who sent the email out has a issue with you and you should retaliate with equal force. Seems like your back is against the wall and that is only way to proceed from my view. Best of luck, let us know how it goes down!

Haha I like this post!
  • Options
    That wasn't the conclusion I came up with. I was thinking that some of the popular on line Universities are viewed as inferior and instead of it adding value to your accomplishments/education, in their mind omitting it is better than listing it.
  • Options
    mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You didn't mention what you were doing or what your new promotion is, do you think your online mba is relevant to that? The company-wide email is in some ways a sales pitch. The people who send it out are using you as an example of how to successfully go from point A to point B. Your credentials are part of the story of how to successfully do that. It could be that they didn't think your degree work was part of that story. Or maybe in their minds, the degree doesn't carry the same reputation.

Do you think your story is very similar to the other analyst? If so, I would start to wonder. Either way, screw it you already got the promotion, congratulations, and unless you are gunning to be the CEO down the line, I doubt it really matters.
  • Options
    @ mbarrett thanks for the mature follow up, really appreciate it.

I believe the MBA ties directly to my current and previous role. Being in supply chain, sometimes certifications can be viewed as highly as bachelor degrees, such as Six Sigma and APICS. Being a powerhouse revenue generator we tend to hire very educated folks from highly competitive schools. I got in this company off of a referral. It's not uncommon for a Senior Supply Chain Analyst to have a masters from Harvard. (Fortune 20).

End game you are right, my talent and skill define me, but I just thought it was strange they left it off. Maybe there is some educational biased.

I agree it is a marketing tool for HR saying look see this guy, he is made it you can too, work hard!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    The question I ask is if I had a MBA from Stanford would they have left it off? The answer is no.

But you don't have an MBA from Stanford; I say don't worry about what you can't change.

Congrats for the promotion!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, celebrate your promotion. They obviously think you deserve it. Congratulations!
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You got a promotion, you won 80% of the battle. You know what happens when people try to win 100%? They often lose ground they have taken. You've made progress, don't incite drama over credit about a particular degree. If someone ever disses you about it, you can pull it out of your hat "What do you mean? I have a Masters in ..." Otherwise, leave it alone.
  • Options
    I wasn't going to bring it up. I view this as a safe haven to vent, that is all. I was just curious if this has happened to others.....

Consider the topic put to bed.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    It certainly is a safe space to vent. We all have these thoughts sometimes...focusing on the positive what's within our control is a great strategy IMHO
    you've done well!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    focusing on the positive what's within our control is a great strategy IMHO

Well, the solution here is to make sure to include your MBA in your email signature ;)
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Well, the solution here is to make sure to include your MBA in your email signature ;)

I was just thinking the same thing...
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    But you don't have an MBA from Stanford; I say don't worry about what you can't change.

Congrats for the promotion!

^^^
    They promoted you for a reason, but the good ol' MBA club is throwing some salt your way. I would advise don't make any waves just yet and prove your worth so to speak by the same means you got promoted in the first place, that should show any nay sayers and critics.

And strike back when the time is right....LOL j/k
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    You are all right.... I am killing it and getting paid big, so no need to piss and moan over something small..

Good call @Kaliboy, you "get it".
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is part of the reason I say to avoid an online only school if you can; there is indeed still a stigma associated with it, right, wrong, or indifferent. Also, and MBA is definitely one of those "special case" degrees. An MBA's value is almost entirely based on the reputation of the institution, more that almost any other degree... if it isn't a Top 10 or Top 25 program, you get tons of snobbery. This is why I haven't pursued an MBA yet and maybe won't ever, even though I have had it on my list for a long time. This isn't to say that you didn't work hard to attain the degree or derive personal and professional value from it... it is just the common perception.

I would say just shake it off and congrats on the promotion.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    this is such a weird thread and pov. the supposed "stigma" didn't prevent the promotion, so what's the fuss?

did you get the mba in hopes it would be sent out in a corporate email? or did you hope it increased your career prospects and advanced your career?

hypothetically lets say it was a calculated omission, I'd wager it wasn't necessarily the online stigma so much as non ivy.

super strange
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start your version of Nixon's Enemies List and add the MBA omitter(s) to it.

Congratulations on the promotion!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It's never happened to me. It's probably just an accident. You wouldn't have been promoted if it was such a dirty dirty shame to management and HR. Don't stress about it and move on.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can't let the little things go or else the person will just keep pushing you down harder to see what they can get away with. Always retaliate with equal or greater force.
    icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    With my high school graduation, they announced who got what scholarships and such. I had a $200 scholarship but they didn't announce it. At the time I was pissed. I ended up not going to that school, so it invalidated it later. I'm glad they didn't announce it, though. It was for clown school. :) It was one option out of many, I applied and got it. :)

Maybe it was an oversight, maybe they didn't feel it was significant enough to include there. But, it was significant enough, along with your work ethic and skills, to get you a promotion. I guess at most, I'd talk to the manager and say you're looking at other education options to expand your skills and ask what he would recommend. See what kind of schools he thinks are note worthy.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can't let the little things go or else the person will just keep pushing you down harder to see what they can get away with. Always retaliate with equal or greater force.
    icon_cheers.gif

I like the cut of your jib!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    This is part of the reason I say to avoid an online only school if you can; there is indeed still a stigma associated with it, right, wrong, or indifferent. Also, and MBA is definitely one of those "special case" degrees. An MBA's value is almost entirely based on the reputation of the institution, more that almost any other degree... if it isn't a Top 10 or Top 25 program, you get tons of snobbery. This is why I haven't pursued an MBA yet and maybe won't ever, even though I have had it on my list for a long time. This isn't to say that you didn't work hard to attain the degree or derive personal and professional value from it... it is just the common perception.

I would say just shake it off and congrats on the promotion.

I agree with you completely. Other on line degrees are treated differently I have seen this for myself. You are right, MBA is a different beast, it's a generalist degree where you go is more important than what you learned, or very close.
    Maybe it was an oversight, maybe they didn't feel it was significant enough to include there. But, it was significant enough, along with your work ethic and skills, to get you a promotion. I guess at most, I'd talk to the manager and say you're looking at other education options to expand your skills and ask what he would recommend. See what kind of schools he thinks are note worthy.

I agree with your significant comment, that to me makes the most sense. You don't just forget something, when you mention their bachelors and a certification. I brought it up because I found it to be an interesting topic and how these degrees are perceived in a corporate environment.

Another good point you mentioned is about getting extra education that is worthy of noting. We have a program here where if the degree or (course) is tightly aligned with your role they will pay 100%, if you are in a manager level role or higher.

Looking at some advanced stats courses, every day it's standard deviation, standard error, distribution etc.... While building these supply chain dashboards.

Anyway good feed back from most....