Options

Jobs in Austin,TX

Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am currently working in Help Desk position and I think my talents are being wasted, I would love to get my foot in the door somewhere to an actual real IT position and start growing my career. I have looked at all the job sites Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Dice, etc... all of them want 3-5 years of experience for entry level not exactly sure how I am supposed to accomplish that if I can't get my foot in the door. It appears that everybody who has gotten a start in a real IT job got it from knowing somebody who knew somebody and not job postings. I understand that job posting have value but it seems like they don't pay off until you are mid-level in your career.

I am looking for any sort of NOC or Security type of job that is Entry Level not quasi Entry Level(3-5years of exp.), I understand I will have to learn and my salary will take a hit but I am fine with that in order to grow my career. I am flexible salary and shift wise, I just want to get my hands on actual technology. If anyone knows of any jobs within their companies I would very much appreciate if you could throw it my way. I am specifically looking at Austin, TX area.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Just apply anyway. If I only applied to jobs I was 100% qualified for I would've probably never sent a resume out in my life.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just apply anyway. If I only applied to jobs I was 100% qualified for I would've probably never sent a resume out in my life.

Yup this. You never know if you might have intangibles that can be substituted for lack of experience. Besides, experience doesn't always mean that it's good experience and not all experience is equal. And other times, they are just throwing a wish list out there and you will never know unless you apply.

When I applied to the position I'm currently at they wanted the 3-5 and I only had 1-2(relevant) experience. I applied anyway and got some tough interviews as expected but in the end they gave me an offer and I accepted it.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just go for it, when it says you need to have XXX and you have X , doesn't always mean they are looking for XXX. In other words John might have the XXX but not the Y or the Z, but you Have the XY+Z .

LOL
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    As @networker050184 said - apply away! Qualifications are only part of the hiring process. Showing a desire to improve, being self motivated, and having a good attitude are the other parts.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most job listings are created for the "dream" candidate. Just apply for anything you might be remotely qualified for and do your best if you get an interview. Don't be afraid to say, "I don't know, but I will learn."

In Austin, being the state capitol, there's a lot of work in state government. City and county, too. Here's a good place to start: Welcome to Texas Workforce Commission | Texas Workforce Commission
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out Rackspace and search for TNT positions. Stands for Team New Talent, and they'll hire you and then train you fairly extensively for the first few months. A buddy got a security role that way.
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually already work for the state and I have applied for couple positions within but the hiring process in government is notoriously slow even for internal candidates. I have been applying just like everybody recommended but it's hard to find anybody who will even take a chance on you.

Rackspace is great the only problem is that virtually all the TNT positions are in San Antonio, but thanks for letting me know I had no idea they had such a program I wish more companies had something like this.
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    Also try checking user groups for Linux, security, IEEE Computing Society, etc. in the Austin area. I'm not a natural born networker (of people), but local organizations can be a good way to meet IT employers. Austin probably hosts IT conventions too, so see if you check out the companies at those too. On Day 1 of a convention check out the booths for company names and then do some research about the companies. On Day 2 chat up the people working the booths. You can also check Texas or Austin focused business magazines. Your best bet might be a small company that needs a person who can adapt to meet the company's IT needs.

Can also try working alumni connections (college or high school) in LinkedIn and CompTIA as a cert holder.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    I am currently working in Help Desk position and I think my talents are being wasted, I would love to get my foot in the door somewhere to an actual real IT position and start growing my career. I have looked at all the job sites Indeed, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Dice, etc... all of them want 3-5 years of experience for entry level not exactly sure how I am supposed to accomplish that if I can't get my foot in the door. It appears that everybody who has gotten a start in a real IT job got it from knowing somebody who knew somebody and not job postings. I understand that job posting have value but it seems like they don't pay off until you are mid-level in your career.

I am looking for any sort of NOC or Security type of job that is Entry Level not quasi Entry Level(3-5years of exp.), I understand I will have to learn and my salary will take a hit but I am fine with that in order to grow my career. I am flexible salary and shift wise, I just want to get my hands on actual technology. If anyone knows of any jobs within their companies I would very much appreciate if you could throw it my way. I am specifically looking at Austin, TX area.

You're right in the middle of tech country...lots of IT companies there, just probably LOTS of competition. I would review your resume, spice it up a bit, maybe that is why you are not getting any bites. You have some good certs and probably enough experience to get in somewhere more advanced. Just keep applying regardless, put your resume on indeed & careerbuilder too...I have always had good results there. Also, look on Craigslist, sometimes smaller IT firms use that method to get their talent. Best of luck! Cheers & HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP