Options

I am going to start studying for the C| EH

horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
I am going to mark my progress every day.
I am going to first build a lab thinking of using VirtualBox for now . Linux (Kali) on client hyper-v is acting weird.
I am going to watch the CBT Nuggets videos and follow along

I am going to buy the both C|EH v9 books
but first I am reading Hacking: The Next Generation... mainly i bought a while ago.

if anyone has awesome advice. Please share that magic wizard craziness.

Thank you in advance and have a great day.

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No awesome advice to give since I haven't knocked out the exam yet, but wishing you the best of luck.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am going to mark my progress every day.
    I am going to first build a lab thinking of using VirtualBox for now . Linux (Kali) on client hyper-v is acting weird.
    I am going to watch the CBT Nuggets videos and follow along

I am going to buy the both C|EH v9 books
    but first I am reading Hacking: The Next Generation... mainly i bought a while ago.

if anyone has awesome advice. Please share that magic wizard craziness.

Thank you in advance and have a great day.

I have thought about taking this cert lately...Is CBT Nuggets free or a subscription? Do you get access thru work? or did you buy individual access? if so, how much did you pay?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    E Double U wrote: »
    No awesome advice to give since I haven't knocked out the exam yet, but wishing you the best of luck.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    shochan wrote: »
    I have thought about taking this cert lately...Is CBT Nuggets free or a subscription? Do you get access thru work? or did you buy individual access? if so, how much did you pay?

CBT nuggets isn't free ($100). Please don't torrent it.
    if you don't have any money try to use Cybrary.it

I have access to CBT Nuggets through Work and maybe through ... StormWinds.. i am begging the big boss-man
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I'm using pluralsight (30/mo or 300/yr) and I'm liking it a lot for my C| EH study. it's reallyour nicely done, not super boring and you can branch off to other sections if you would like. I'm supplementing that with eJPT labs and slides, all-in-one Matt Walker v3, and virtual lab on my laptop just using the tools on the examples.

Really recommend eJPT if you can squeeze it in during your studies.

BTW Plurasight 3 month promo for signing up with MS Visual Studio https://learn.pluralsight.com/offers/microsoft-offer-redemption?offerCode=431-205017-7CQ9-V5DJ

Hope it helps you guys. It has for me
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    I'm using pluralsight (30/mo or 300/yr) and I'm liking it a lot for my C| EH study. it's reallyour nicely done, not super boring and you can branch off to other sections if you would like. I'm supplementing that with eJPT labs and slides, all-in-one Matt Walker v3, and virtual lab on my laptop just using the tools on the examples.

Really recommend eJPT if you can squeeze it in during your studies.

BTW Plurasight 3 month promo for signing up with MS Visual Studio https://learn.pluralsight.com/offers/microsoft-offer-redemption?offerCode=431-205017-7CQ9-V5DJ

Hope it helps you guys. It has for me

Cool I will check it out ... are you taking the eJPT exam?
  • Options
    Cool I will check it out ... are you taking the eJPT exam?

Yeah I am. it's taking longer for me to complete the self-study tasks because I work full time, go to school full time, family that require some sort of attention once in a while lol and a big time Web search company givingredients me study materials for interview preps that divert my CEH studies.
    I say I'm about 75% ready from taking the eJPT and it's a voucher included with the PTS training so might as well try. those 3 really seems to reinforce each other really well.
    I come from a zero experience pen testing environment and more on the compliance security side of things so I'm starting fresh like a lot of new IT guys trying to get into the field.

Edit: Damn my mobile auto correct lol
    Reading
  • Options
    Yeah I am. it's taking longer for me to complete the self-study tasks because I work full time, go to school full time, family that require some sort of attention once in a while lol and a big time Web search company givingredients me study materials for interview preps that divert my CEH studies.
    I say I'm about 75% ready from taking the eJPT and it's a voucher included with the PTS training so might as well try. those 3 really seems to reinforce each other really well.
    I come from a zero experience pen testing environment and more on the compliance security side of things so I'm starting fresh like a lot of new IT guys trying to get into the field.

Edit: Damn my mobile auto correct lol

At least you are in the security field .. right?
    I am poor a systems engineer .. trying to break into the field
  • Options
    At least you are in the security field .. right? I am poor a systems engineer .. trying to break into the field
    Nope, I'm a help desk jockey. Sure it pays over 50k a year (close to 60k) and I only really work 2 days a week, but it is still help desk grunt work. I did IT security in the Army as an alternate duty (IASO, Compliance, Etc) on top of whatever primary IT duties I had. BTW I started studying for the C| EH in October. Someone with more time can definitely knock it out in 2 months.
    Reading
  • Options
    Nope, I'm a help desk jockey. Sure it pays over 50k a year (close to 60k) and I only really work 2 days a week, but it is still help desk grunt work. I did IT security in the Army as an alternate duty (IASO, Compliance, Etc) on top of whatever primary IT duties I had. BTW I started studying for the C| EH in October. Someone with more time can definitely knock it out in 2 months.

I wish I made that type of money !
    I just took te Mile2 C)PEH . it was cool to have the security fundamentals refresher and learn to crack passwords.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    60k a year for only working 2 days a week, I don't think I would ever leave that job!
  • Options
    60k a year for only working 2 days a week, I don't think I would ever leave that job!

To be clear, I work 4, 10 hour shifts, 2 on weekend with 3 days off every week. The weekend shift is real chill, where I would take maybe 3-4 calls in 10 hours and most of that time is spent studying or doing homework hence that I really only work "two" days. I think they pay us close to 60k because we all have the security clearances and the baseline certs DoD requires. Besides that, we all do typical helpdesk stuff.

Back on point: Look at Matt Walker all-in-one book. Its nice to read and take around with you.
    Reading
  • Options
    almost done reading Hacking: The Next Generation
  • Options
    I did get to read ... few chapters left
  • Options
    Read all of it. it was good. I am happy. I am going pick up CompTIA Security Plus book and read that through .. just the Sybex Study guide.
  • Options
    picked up the Sybex Security plus book read up to chapter three
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work keep it up.

I work for a large company and I noticed all of our security jobs require or prefer (depending on the level of the job) the CISSP and/or CEH (again depending on the level of the role etc).

No mention of security +, although sometimes I notice the OSCP mentioned, not sure what that cert if for.

HTH, FWIW
  • Options
    Nice work keep it up.

I work for a large company and I noticed all of our security jobs require or prefer (depending on the level of the job) the CISSP and/or CEH (again depending on the level of the role etc).

No mention of security +, although sometimes I notice the OSCP mentioned, not sure what that cert if for.

HTH, FWIW

It is the ultimate pen test certification. I want it like a fat man wants pizza.

Are you interested in the C|EH?
  • Options
    R@d1shR@d1sh Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed CEH last week, highly recommend the Matt Walker book (over the Oriyano book). If you can spring for the official ec-council labs, they were excellent. Gave you your own sandbox to play in, as well as direction on what to do, where, how, and (most importantly) why. Also the BOSON practice exams do a great job of over-preparing you for the actual exam. after a couple hundred Boson practice exams, the actual exam was easy.

Also a pretty nice gem in the CBT Nuggets material is the supplemental files for the CEH videos. Overall, they are all excellent resources but one of the guides that is attached in that zip is excellent in providing the key points and info to study / memorize. I believe it's called the Hacking - CEH Review Sheet.pdf.

good luck!
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    R@d1sh wrote: »
    I just passed CEH last week, highly recommend the Matt Walker book (over the Oriyano book)... Also the BOSON practice exams do a great job of over-preparing you for the actual exam. after a couple hundred Boson practice exams, the actual exam was easy.

Good to know! I've only been using Matt Walker material for reading and Boson for practice exams.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    I'm studying for the exam as well, if aNY of you guys want to get a study session going on slack, discord or whatever people use these days, I'm down. I been "documenting C| EH studys all over LinkedIN and Twitter.
    Reading
  • Options
    I work for a massive corp so when I look for jobs they pop up and I read the descriptions. I am in big data and plan to stay in that space.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Im down for a study session. I'm working on the CEH myself. Just reading the Oriyano book and watching ITProtv
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    R@d1sh wrote: »
    I just passed CEH last week, highly recommend the Matt Walker book (over the Oriyano book). If you can spring for the official ec-council labs, they were excellent. Gave you your own sandbox to play in, as well as direction on what to do, where, how, and (most importantly) why. Also the BOSON practice exams do a great job of over-preparing you for the actual exam. after a couple hundred Boson practice exams, the actual exam was easy.

Also a pretty nice gem in the CBT Nuggets material is the supplemental files for the CEH videos. Overall, they are all excellent resources but one of the guides that is attached in that zip is excellent in providing the key points and info to study / memorize. I believe it's called the Hacking - CEH Review Sheet.pdf.

good luck!

Yup I saved all year for the iClass and the iLabs. I will get the all in one and read it . thank you for the advise.
    You should reward yourself with a beer and a slice of pizza lol
  • Options
    Im down for a study session. I'm working on the CEH myself. Just reading the Oriyano book and watching ITProtv

Are you on the East Coast or West ?
    A study buddy is always good .
  • Options
    I work for a massive corp so when I look for jobs they pop up and I read the descriptions. I am in big data and plan to stay in that space.

Big Data? What is this that? just a fancy word for data-ware-houseing? Data mining? Hardoop, right?
  • Options
    I am still reading the Security plus book. on chapter 10 social engineering ..... oh to social engineer my way in a girl's p**ts would be nice lol
  • Options
    I'm central coast so I can swing both ways
    Reading
  • Options
    I'm central coast so I can swing both ways

I see what you did there .. I am on the East coast ... dreaming of the West coast.
  • Options
    C to the E to the H