Options

Quick Question

ahold15ahold15 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
ok this is a real newbie question. in order to take the CCNA certification test. do you HAVE to take the CCNA courses? is there something you obtain from the courses you need in order to take the test?

thx for the info in advance!

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you don't have to take a "cisco mandated" course to take ccna. however, you can read the books which are available for purchase along with the gear on ebay. over all most test passers and higher level test takers will tell you that having multiple means of learning materials ( books, cbts, ect) is almost necessary.

if you go without the class and go the self study route it can cost you upwards of $150-$500 depeding on books, cbts, test sims and gear
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed my ccna 640-801 on friday. I didn't attend any cisco course infact I've never taken any networking class either. So if you're ready to spend some time and money you should be fine with just using the exam preparation materials and a real lab equipment if you can afford it, if not boson ccna/ccnp sim is good to an extent.

I used ccna self-study from cisco press $59.xx + plus tax.
    Boson ccna $149.99 + tax.

I think that should be about enough but if u need more books to read try ccna study guide 5th edition for $49.xx.

I hope that helps.
    INE v4 volume 1
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    All you have to do is study and find a test center nearest you. I'm pretty sure the Cisco website has info on that.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    ahold15ahold15 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thx for all the replies, i wasnt really sure. the reason i ask is i thought about taking a couple of the courses, but if they dont turn out to be as informative as some other resources out there(which is probably the case). i dont want to **** alot of uneccessary money into them. so if i started one and didnt finish it wouldnt affect my ability to go take the cert.