Options

Need to replace a DC

dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
So one of our branch offices requires an upgrade to their server. So my plan is to build a 2012 R2 Domain Controller, log into their 2003 sbs server (they don't use any other applications like SharePoint or Exchange) copy all the settings and then ship it out to them, to replace their old server. Seeing that its a replica, will they be able to plug and go? What about FSMO roles? There are only 4 users in this office.

Comments

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dcpromo that box...or start fresh...I was able to migrate AD from a 2003 SBS to 2012 w/o issues back over a year ago.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    I`m miles away from the branch office. So I was hoping to build from fresh in my office and just copy everything the same as the old server and ship it up to them.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    When you say copy all the settings, do you mean that you want to just go setting by setting and manually duplicate things? Users, computers, group policies, etc?

Are you all on the same domain? Or is this a standalone domain in the branch office?
  • Options
    This is a standalone domain in a branch office. I thought if I replicated the ip address, server name and domain, DNS RAS, (The old server does not have DHCP) that I could then ship it out for them to swap it over with the old one.
  • Options
    That's not going to work like you envision. You are actually creating a completely different domain doing that.

Join the new server to the old domain, and promote the new server to a DC. Move all of the roles, shares, and whatever over to the new server. Then demote the old DC and take it offline.
  • Options
    All that work for 4 employees? They will have to get a local IT guy in then. I thought I could do it at our main office and ship it to them, or at least do all the configuration for them.
  • Options
    It will be good experience to do it
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    dfranc wrote: »
    All that work for 4 employees? They will have to get a local IT guy in then. I thought I could do it at our main office and ship it to them, or at least do all the configuration for them.
    You can handle it, this is stuff you learned to get your MCSA. Dig deep! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dfranc wrote: »

Sounds like fun, not to mention you will learn something so when you have to do it when there are 1400 employees it won't be a problem.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Put a fresh image on the new server. Send it there, have someone plug it in, and then finish it remotely. I have done it lots of times.
  • Options
    Can that be done within working hours? Or out of hours?
  • Options
    MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do that within working hours. After you promote the Domain Controller, you can transfer the FSMO Roles and then demote the old one. ( If you just turn it off, it will still show up under Domain Controllers in AD)
    You will also have to change the DNS Settings on the workstations to reflect the new IP of the DC/DNS Server.. Or, if you could afford some downtime, after you turn off the old one, assign the same IP Address to the new one.

Someone correct me if I've said something dumb. I don't think so, but it's always nice to check:)
  • Options
    I believe this is correct. I will be shutting down the old server in order to use the same static address. I would also need to move the DHCP settings from the 2003 server to the 2012 server correct?
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    You should be able to do this remotely - depending on the server you are shipping out there it should have a remote management port (idrac, iLo, ect). All you would need to do is do a fresh install of server 2012 R2 (no dcpromo), configure the remote management port with the proper IP for your branch and ship the server. Walk someone through plugging in the proper ports (configured for remote management) and finish up your work after hours.

I heard you wanting to 'move files and settings' but i didn't see to what extent data is on this server. It's a branch so it probably doesn't have any FSMO roles right? Probably just a GC server to allow logins. Maybe you have files locally which you can simply just copy after everything is done.

I'm literally doing the same thing except i'm doing it on virtual machines and we have 2008 R2 in our branches - i'm replacing it with 2012 R2.

ASSUMING NO FSMO roles are installed and no local data:
    1. run dcpromo on the older server, remove it from being a DC in the domain - restart
    2. remote ADDS and DNS from the server - restart
    3. remote server from AD - restart
    4. cleanup AD - remove the disabled computer object as well as the server in Sites and Services if it's still there
    5. Change IP settings on new server to match old one
    6. Change DNS settings to match old one
    7. Promote the new server using the GUI (dcpromo doesn't work in 2012 r2)
    8. Done

The big thing here is if there are local files (let's say home directories) then after you get the new server configured you will want to add the same roles (say DFS or file services) and copy the home directory stuff.

In my environment we have the regional DC's handing out DHCP as well, i simply backed up the DHCP settings and leases - imported into the new server and i was done.
  • Options
    mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dcpromo y/n to proceed
    y
    dc promoted pls exit
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Nope mudflap, you cannot use dcpromo on a 2012 R2 server it's done through the GUI. You will get an error saying dcpromo isn't available.
  • Options
    This link might help you along: I know it says 2008, but it is similar to 2012...You might see if you can dig up the 2012 white paper for any caveats.

Migrate Server 2003 to 2008R2 Active Directory and FSMO Roles | Zwiegnet Blog

Best of luck!
  • Options
    mudflapsmudflaps Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    Nope mudflap, you cannot use dcpromo on a 2012 R2 server it's done through the GUI. You will get an error saying dcpromo isn't available.

I was only kidding, hah