Options

2nd interview and salary negotiations?

dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a 2nd interview tomorrow with a multi-state banking corporation as a Security Analyst 2. I was looking for $90-95k and told the recruiter that. She came back and said their range was $75-85k (and $85k was for the 'perfect' candidate, which I feel I am). I told her I really wanted to stick with $90k but that I would go to a 2nd interview and see how it went. I don't 'need' this job but do want to move on from my current role where I can gain more experience and learn more while making a little more than I do currently. I will be taking the CISSP next week and feel pretty confident I will pass it and think my prospects will look a little better after that. I am not looking for management opportunities yet. This position should put me in a good situation to learn the banking industry for a year or so then move into a management position.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great, you have nothing to lose. Stand your ground and don't budge off that $90k. My latest position they told me their range was one number, but when the offer came in it was higher than the range. So you never know. Just wow them in the 2nd interview and who knows maybe they will budge for an extra $5k to get you to $90k. It could be that the hiring manager that you impress may start pulling strings and forcing her to move off her number to get the guy he wants. Remember HR recruiters are there to make money and get the best candidate for the least amount of $, the hiring manager doesn't care and just wants the best candidate period.
  • Options
    winona_ryderwinona_ryder Member Posts: 42 ■□□□□□□□□□
    koz24 wrote: »
    Great, you have nothing to lose. Stand your ground and don't budge off that $90k. My latest position they told me their range was one number, but when the offer came in it was higher than the range. So you never know. Just wow them in the 2nd interview and who knows maybe they will budge for an extra $5k to get you to $90k. It could be that the hiring manager that you impress may start pulling strings and forcing her to move off her number to get the guy he wants. Remember HR recruiters are there to make money and get the best candidate for the least amount of $, the hiring manager doesn't care and just wants the best candidate period.

^This.

Recruiters play both sides. Ultimately, you are the product that they are trying to sell, so your price is your price.

There will be a budget limit, so just make sure you are gracious and polite about it if the company actually can't move. You never know - their budget or priority might change 6 months down the line and they might offer you want you want (or more) later.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I' ll play the other sides advocate and say that for 90K-95K you better impress them very very much and leave them speechless. Banking industry is very competitive, the banks operate in a tough environment right now facing big challenges and regulations. They do need people but the money might not be at 95K for those roles. I have friends that are senior network engineers that make 90-95K with years of experience. It will be tough to get to that range for level 2 Security Analyst. That 90K it is usually asked by more senior people. So you might be asking a bit too much, nothing wrong with that but you need to really wow them.

Can you post the job description so that we have an idea of what the job duties are?
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I' ll play the other sides advocate and say that for 90K-95K you better impress them very very much and leave them speechless. Banking industry is very competitive, the banks operate in a tough environment right now facing big challenges and regulations.

Yes it is! All the regulatory alphabet soup plus some of the most stringent customer requirements of any industry vertical. I dont know how much the OP expects to learn industry wise in "a year or so"... I've seen very experienced IT/Security folks be simply overwhelmed switching to the financial sector
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will try to follow up when I get back and post the job description as well.

NVM. Found it so here it is:

Position Title: Information Security Analyst 2
    Business Unit: Risk Management
    Reports To: Director of Technology Risk Management
    Position Overview: This position is primarily responsible for ensuring the protection of corporation information, following all financial regulations such as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) and keeping the information security program enforced.
    The incumbent analyzes user requirements, procedures and problems to automate or improve existing systems and review computer system capabilities, workflow and scheduling limitations. Primary Responsibilities: Assists in the containment and resolution of information security incidents as needed.
    Maintains frequent contact with retail support staff for purpose of monitoring security events. Participates in the development and maintenance of criteria and procedures to ensure the correct individuals are involved at the correct time for security incidents identified by retail support.
    Researches suspected information security policy violations. Conducts regular security audits, analysis and assessments per security policy. Regularly reviews logs and reports for accuracy and for evidence of security events. Monitors Information Technology security intelligence and keeps abreast of pertinent events, research and developments.
    Develops methodology and metrics to efficiently monitor and audit user activity. Participates in the development and maintenance of the corporate security procedures and awareness program.
    Configures and reviews user identification and other security settings on core systems. Performs other related duties and projects as assigned.
    Minimum Level of Education Required to Perform the Primary Responsibilities of this Position: High School or GED
    Basic Level BA or BS preferred. Experience in information systems.
    Knowledge of ITI processing software and security settings.
  • Options
    The title for this role is miseleading. This person will be part of Risk Management. The focus is on paperwork, meaning create or update policies,procedures and review some events. This means you will have limited access to some systems but not all. You will not be working directly with IT or Infosec, which might be in different building or area all together. Its not a hands on job working with IT or Infosec if that is what you were looking for.
  • Options
    I am actually looking for more of a policy/procedure type position but am not opposed to some hands on as I know I need a little more experience there. My current role is so 'confined' that I do one thing (and have gotten to where I do it pretty well...lol). I don't have a vast technical background so I was looking more towards Risk Management type roles.

I just got back from the interview and it looks like maybe they want somebody more hands on? He did ask quite a few technical questions but also asked about my policy writing abilities so may be a little of both. He admitted the security dept. is quite lacking there and he wants to really get things up to speed so getting in at this level would be great if it means I may be able to take over expansion projects. We will see what happens.
  • Options
    Got a response already. They aren't able to come up to my salary requirements.
  • Options
    dhay13 wrote: »
    Got a response already. They aren't able to come up to my salary requirements.

Yeah because of the position. They had the right range originally, those roles don't go at 95k.
  • Options
    Well hopefully after next week I will have passed the CISSP then after the endorsement process it can open up a few more doors for me.