Options

CDP Layer Same VLAN ?

DaughterofrnbsoulDaughterofrnbsoul Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does CDP Work even if 2 switches are interconnected with each other Via Access Port, but are on Separate VLANS ?

SW1 Fa0/1 VLan 20
SW2 Fa0/3VLAN 30

Can sw1 still get the Ip address and everything else from show CDP Neighbors Detail regardless of VLAN ?

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    with cdp version 2, which you should be running, one of the pieces of information that is exchange between interfaces is the vlan id. So, when the vlans are different you should be getting a vlan mismatch error message.
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    with cdp version 2, which you should be running, one of the pieces of information that is exchange between interfaces is the vlan id. So, when the vlans are different you should be getting a vlan mismatch error message.

I'm using packet tracer , but I have 2950 switches, but I don't see version 2
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that CDP packets are not passed through a switch, so you will only see what is directly connected.

To map out the network, use show cdp neighbor, note down directly connected neighbors, then use show
    cdp neighbors detail and note the IP addresses. You can then SSH or Telnet into the next device and run the CDP commands again to see what's again directly connected, and so on, until you've mapped out the network.

Using the example on Page 274 of the W. Odom ICND1 100-101 Book...

... if you were at PC1 (or PC2), to know about R1, you'd need to first Telnet to SW1, run the CDP commands and then Telnet from SW1 to SW2, then run the CDP commands again.

The next thing I'm going to do is to expand this topology to include VLANs so that I can see what the CDP output will look like from each device.

CDP Version-2 (CDPv2) is the most recent release of the protocol and provides more intelligent device tracking features.

A good learning question. Thank you.
    CDP.PNG 12.9K
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It at the bottom of the output.

Sw1#sh cdp neighbors detail

Device ID: Sw3
    Entry address(es):
    IP address : 10.1.30.1
    Platform: cisco 2950, Capabilities: Switch
    Interface: FastEthernet0/1, Port ID (outgoing port): FastEthernet0/3
    Holdtime: 175

Version :
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE(fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Wed 18-May-05 22:31 by jharirba

advertisement version: 2
    Duplex: full
  • Options
    yes I saw after further examination in my lab haha X_X