Options

Resume Advice

jscot002jscot002 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I have no IT experience at all, however, I've been studying for certs on my free time. I don't start WGU until February. Just checking to see what I can do different to get my name out there because I haven't been able to find a job yet and I've been looking for almost a month now. I will have the Security+ very soon so that would give me A+,N+, and S+. Not sure what I will go for after that. Any advice will be very appreciated.

Career Objective
Seeking an IT network analyst and help desk role or something similar while I am finishing up my Bachelors for Network Administrator from WGU. I am looking to find a full time job in a relevant field as soon as possible to collect experience for when I graduate.

Education
Western Governors University
Bachelor of Science Information Systems – Security, Planned Fall 2017
Major: IT Security

Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
Major: Supply Chain Management Minor: Business Analytics

Work History
01/2016 to Current
T. Parker Host Terminals – Chesapeake, VA
- SCADA Technician
- Stevedore
- Operator

01/2008 to Current
Atlantic Custom Services – Smithfield, VA
- Website Developer
- Carpenter
- Material/Inventory handler

01/2009 to 01/2010
Northrop Grumman – Newport News, VA
- Rigger
- Crane Operator
- Laborer

Certificates
CompTIA A+
CompTIA N+
Currently studying for Security+/CCNA

Awards/Achievements
Best crane crew 2009 by Northrop Grumman.
Successfully built three desktop computers from scratch.

Comments

• Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your best bet is to start with internships since you already have the A+ and N+. May not like the pay but it's better than nothing and it will give your resume some much needed experience.

By the way, I would take off the "currently studying" for Sec+ and CCNA part. A lot of hiring managers see that as a cheesy way to get certs you don't have on your resume.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your resume needs a lot of work.
    First of all, your objective needs re-writing. Remove the words that make it seem like you are desperate such as "as soon as possible" and words like "to collect experience" Managers will think you are only going to benefit yourself and not to provide value to the company.

Second, remove your degrees or certs you do not have. For your actual degree, just list your bachelors, no one really needs to know what your major was.

For work history, you need to remove anything that is not relevant to an IT job and focus on the topics that you did on your job that are releavant to IT. As an example, Remove carpenter and elaborate more on the "Web designer" part - say things like, build websites using this tool, maintain website and web server for x users. etc etc
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I hate bullets. What did you do on each job? Get rid of Awards/Achievements, that is for the interview if they ask. Get rid of 'currently studying', only put on the resume if you passed. Put education above certs...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Rename your "career objective" to something like "professional summary" or "summary of qualifications," then explain what you can offer the employer.

I concur with other posters, drop certs you don't have. If you want to mention Sec+/CCNA, you may do so in your cover letter, but I wouldn't worry about it as employers will likely want to know what you're doing to improve yourself during the interview and that will be the best time to bring up your studies.

Drop awards/achievements and consider adding a "hands-on" experience section to highlight any IT-related stuff you've done in the past (move it above your work history and below education).

For job history, provide a brief summary of what you did at each job and highlight any soft skills you have learned along the way. If you can throw some quantifiable info into a bullet point below each summary, even better.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    jscot002 wrote: »
    Successfully built three desktop computers from scratch.

Eek, nuke that part. Better yet, just get rid of the awards/achievements part.
  • Options
    jscot002jscot002 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alright, thanks for the input. I knew something had to be wrong with it icon_lol.gif. I'm about to start from scratch.