Cissp - issmp straight after cism

scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
Dear all

has anyone obtained the issmp after doing the cism? Wanted to see if it's possible to attempt straight away afterwards and pass.

best wishes
AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not everyone has the same experience so it will vary greatly. Just because someone made it, doesn't mean others will too.
  • TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    I passed the ISSMP a few weeks after I took the CISM.

Here is what I did:

I took the CISM exam in September. Of course, you don't know how you do on an ISACA for several weeks. Since I was not certain if I would pass or not, I decided that I would continue to study for the CISM since there was a December exam date. Since the ISSMP subjects areas are (per the official documentation) very similar to the CISM, I decided that I would sign up for the ISSMP exam in late October.

I continued to study the CISM materials after I took the exam in September. I felt OK about the CISM exam, and had completed it in half the allotted time. I scheduled my ISSMP exam for the week in October I would find out my results from ISACA.

I found out that I passed the CISM, so I would not need to take the December exam. I then took the ISSMP exam a few days after receiving my CISM results, and passed it as well, using about half of the allotted time.

If you really know the materials and pass the CISM, you should not have a major problem passing the ISSMP. While the exams both have a different "style" to them (if you have taken an ISC2 and ISASA exam already, you know what I mean) the subjects are similar.

So yes, I would say it is very possible.
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Many thanks Tanker for the detailed response. I know ppl have just done practice questions to prepare for the cism and have found it very reasonable, am thinking of doing the same and then attempting issmp. Have cissp already amongst others.

Do you think that could work?
    scasc wrote: »
    Many thanks Tanker for the detailed response. I know ppl have just done practice questions to prepare for the cism and have found it very reasonable, am thinking of doing the same and then attempting issmp. Have cissp already amongst others.

Do you think that could work?

Yes. I used the ISACA CISM database for almost all of my study for both exams.
    Great - many thanks for your help. Maybe I can do the ISSAP also by doing past questions too? :). Look at ***********.com
    The risk of using "past" questions is that you don't know if they will show up on the exam. And, they do know some of the questions that are out there. They measure how fast you answer them, and if your answer (if wrong) matches a known wrong answer on a brain ****. Be careful!
    Appreciate the comment, will be careful!
    I do think that the ISACA database is the way to go. And, if you know the materials, which are fairly straightforward, passing both exams is very possible.
    Will definitely look at Isaca database and take it from there. Do you know much about sans gslc? I'm looking more into it.

Also would you adopt a similar strategy for the cisa? I.e. Isaca past questions for prep?