Options

Transitioning Military Officer looking for InfoSec Mentor(s)

dpmooney04dpmooney04 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

First off, great site and community. Really great resources on here that helped me pass my CISSP. Knowledge transfer is a great thing. I appreciate you all giving back.

I am a transitioning Army Officer looking to complete my transition in the summer of next year. I am having difficulty translating my IT experiences into the InfoSec community and have numerous questions about where i best fit, expectations, and areas of technical improvements. Thankfully, i have some solid time to prepare and would love an "insider" to help guide me on a way forward.

If anyone (prior-military or not) would enjoy this sort of thing, i would love to reach out and talk.

Thanks All.

-Dave

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are lots of former military here that have transitioned to the private sector. Your best bet is to just post your questions here for the whole group and get the input from everyone.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dpmooney04 wrote: »
    Hey all,

First off, great site and community. Really great resources on here that helped me pass my CISSP. Knowledge transfer is a great thing. I appreciate you all giving back.

I am a transitioning Army Officer looking to complete my transition in the summer of next year. I am having difficulty translating my IT experiences into the InfoSec community and have numerous questions about where i best fit, expectations, and areas of technical improvements. Thankfully, i have some solid time to prepare and would love an "insider" to help guide me on a way forward.

If anyone (prior-military or not) would enjoy this sort of thing, i would love to reach out and talk.

Thanks All.

-Dave
    Thank you for your Service!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have to agree, ask away. But don't forget to indicate your preferences as well. Some people want to get as far away from the government, others want to keep their clearance, some want to do a little off each in order to make progress toward their actual goal of ... The easiest thing is if you have experience at NSA / USCYBERCOM but a lot translates in any case.
  • Options
    FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was an enlisted physical security guy (USN), tripped and fell into InfoSec through a business school internship. Been doing information assurance, specifically vendor review, in finance. You're already far ahead of me in qualifications so I believe you'll be well positioned. Feel free to contact me with specifics.

Congratulations on your transition. 1st Civ Div is a wonderful place.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed CISSP while deployed in Afghanistan and ETSed just a few months after my return stateside. I ended up transitioning into infosec policy and risk management, specifically dealing with NIST RMF and the transition away from DIACAP risk management. If you live anywhere close to a military community, there will be plenty of contracting jobs supporting DoD agencies with cybersecurity / information assurance, and each of those contracts is going to want someone with a clearance and an IAT-III certification such as CISSP. You shouldn't have any trouble securing a job.

PM me if you want to talk more!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks like you can't PM yet, but if you add me on LinkedIn we can connect there and chat. (removed link)
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Although I don't have a prior military background, I do have prior contractor and gov't time. The biggest thing I would ask you is decide what you want to do, where you live currently, and if you want to move. If you are looking to jump into gov't there's plenty in the DC/VA area. One thing I would recommend if your going through USAJobs, is to remove any/all bullet statements within your resume. Resumes are processed/filtered by a machine from what I understand, and it likes continuous sentence/paragraph. If your are looking to jump into the public sector, I have some experience there as well. Hit me up via PM once you get enough posts in.
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Retirement or getting out?
    What MOS?
    What clearances?
    Disabled vet?
    Degree?

As you can see there are a few more details needed before anyone can help.

If you are sep before retirement you can buy back your time into fed service.

You will be at an advantage if you are disabled by using the 10 points during the hiring process.

I would say post your resume (delete any classified names or titles) so that we can get a better pic of what you qualify for.

Also, there are countless programs for transitioning mil members to cross train even from non-IT jobs.