Options

Would you accept this job offer? Part 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a feeling he took it...

I agree. I'm disappointed.

You must really hate your job to do that.
  • Options
    Polymorphic28Polymorphic28 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow!! Thank you all for your replies and great advice. I ended up denying the offer. It seems like it would be better to keep my job and continue to obtain my security certs. The thought of having no benefits and potentially losing my job really is a deal breaker. I wanted to get other IT professionals opinions to ensure I was making a good decision. Obviously it would have been a bad decision and I should have asked for way more. Thanks again everyone for the feedback.
  • Options
    Polymorphic28Polymorphic28 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    As a person that is well versed in National Guard/Reserve technician positions, I am quite shocked you are even considering this. There are times I have trouble filling or keeping a person in a technician position because they find a DOD Contractor willing to pay 30-50% more than what they are making as a GS, sometimes setting in the same location.

For some of you that are not familiar with Military Technician jobs:

Paid 10 Federal Holidays
    Accrue 4 Sick hours a Pay Period
    After three years, you get 19 Days per Year of Vacation (Almost a whole month)
    Any military down days ( Family Days, Unit Holidays, etc..)
    Military Leave, you get 15 days ( Double Dip on GS and Military Pay)
    Drill Pay, one weekend a month
    Annual Cost of Living Increase
    Step Increase ( Years in Grade)
    Dual Retirements (GS and Military)

I do not know what branch of service you are in, but there are several states building their Cyber presence. Have you looked at finding a technician position that allows you to retrain in a Cyber MOS/AFSC.

Yes, I've found a few jobs similar in that role but they're asking for CEH and GCIH equivalent certs. It looks like I will have to study and obtain these certs just for them to take interest.
  • Options
    johnnxivjohnnxiv Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should have said I would like a salary match of $65k.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm a federal employee and have quite a few benefits but am currently trying to get out of the help desk role. I have a few certs and my B.S in Computer Security.

Hmmm....
    so, what certs do you have? And what is the next cert you want to shoot for?

And what is your plan to get security-related training in the meantime?
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    You need a fill a slot just let me know . Always down to move back to Texas. How are the CPT teams there? I was just slotted for a team NCO in Hawaii.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yep should have requested an amount that would have made your decision easy... something that if they came back with a positive response, you would have no issues accepting.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    This is a very common problem that majority of people have no clue about the value of their benefits package and take jobs with a little bit more money without benefits thinking they are ahead. Just to put a little bit of a perspective the average benefits package is worth about $25-30k in addition to your regular pay.

I second this. When i got laid off in 2013, I opted to pay for Cobra for me and my Wife, my monthly payment for Medical, Dental and vision was $1,200 a month, and this was the group rate the company negotiated with a medical insurer, similar plans on the open market would have cost me $3,000 a month to get the same coverage. This is what you looking at as a contractor getting good health insurance on your own. This doesn't include benefits like paid days off, paid holidays, short and long term disability, 401k match, pension, etc. And while it may cost a company 25k to 30k to pay for your benefits, these are the good rates they can negotiate with insurers by buying in bulk, you'll never get those rates as Joe Blow shopping around yourself, you'll be lucky to get the same for less than 40k.

My opinion? You be a fool to give up the benefits and job security as a federal employee, to take a job for less money, no benefits and no job security.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.