Options

New job!

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
My post count here has dropped considerably lately because I got laid off two months ago. I kinda saw the writing own the wall because I was told all sorts of things 5 years ago so I would take the job and almost none of them came true. Since they didn't hire anybody else and did not expand my role I figured when the time came for cost cutting I would be the first to go.

Which I was :) I got called to the conference room and I was already picking some stuff up because I know what happens in the conference room when a meeting you are involved in doesn't come with an invitation through Outlook before hand. So I go in HR and my manager are there "blah blah blah" I got 4 week severance which was nice, we had emergency savings and my wife works plus I have been on her benefits for health care for a while now.

I went through the "omg we are going to starve" panic but my wife said "whatever, lets go over our budget for the past year (we use You Need a Budget) and we saw we could last quite a while on emergency funds, my severance and her income)

I am so glad I got my CISA when I did, last year I decided I had to move up or move out before I get kicked out so I figured when you look for a new job while employed you are more confident.

Problem was I was out of shape and lacked confidence. So two interviews I got (while working at the then current job) pretty easy I was so out of it, I didn't feel comfortable in my suit, my shirt felt like it was choking me. I didn't get the jobs.

Anyways so I get laid off soon after, after the first couple of days of panic and depression I decided to do something positive during this time off. I started with Pokémon Go, yup walking to catch Pokémon and hatch eggs and I was doing 2-3 miles per day every day. I also started doing low impact Aerobics through apps on my Apple TV, I alternate TRX resistance workouts every other day, did the walks every day and aerobics on the TRX off days.

Two months later I dropped 26 pounds. I moved down a pants size, my watch band I moved up a hole because it got too loose and my endurance increased greatly for doing stuff like yard work.

I also created a daily workflow, last time I got laid off I sat around like a blob this time I created a daily study routine with milestones. I decided now is not the time to try and study something new, now was the time to become better at what I already can do. Nobody is going to hire me for something I have little experience with, calls were going to come from what I already know.

So I read and wrote a TON, I got all the material I had collected over the years, all my notes and I worked on making sure I knew what the heck I was talking about. With weight loss comes confidence and my confidence was pretty high. Not cocky but confident in words I used and things I spoke about.

So a couple of weeks ago I got two interviews. One was for a company that was expanding that had no security department. Security was spread out among the IT department, they were growing and hiring but wanted somebody to come in and review the company, make recommendations, implement a security plan and lead the creation and expansion of a security department.

I wanted this position so badly lol. So I whipped out my iPad, I had created a Power Point presentation just for this position and I sold the crap out of myself and what I could do for the company. The hiring manager and president of the company was impressed and said there was one other candidate and I would hear something very soon.

Two days later I had an interview with a major health care provider. I wanted a way into health care pretty badly but I lacked health care experience. Every job description said HIPPA and PCI experience required. So I studied up on HIPPA, got some PDF files I found online for PCI and took a lot of notes. I mapped similarities between what I can do with what they wanted and practiced saying it.

Well it paid off with the second interview. I interviewed in front of the Security and Audit Director. She brought up HIPPA and PCI and I went into sales presentation mode. I opened up my iPad and showed her the books I read, notes I had taken and how my experience relates to what she was looking for. I showed her my Evernote note organization and how I track my projects over the years in it. She said she was impressed, I said my technical background allows me to move among IT and HR and be a more effective security and audit analyst. She said she agreed and that was exactly what they were looking for.

So the interview lasted about 90 minutes and she introduced me to her team (which is a good thing from my experience) we talked for a while, she said afterwards she was testing my personality skills when meeting new people. I was like "crap which I didn't point out I was going to see Doctor Strange that weekend" but somebody probably liked that I did because they remembered that.

So afterwards I go home feeling good but trying not to be over confident because so much of the decision is out of my control.

A few days later I got a call from both asking to contact my references. I sent out a text to let them know and I told the company's HR person they could go ahead and call. The same day I got text messages from my references saying they got calls from both companies within the same couple of hours. Wow I thought, maybe things are looking good.

Next day, I get a call from the first company with a verbal offer. Later that day I got a call from the health care provider with a verbal offer as well. I told both of them I wanted to look over their benefits package.

I had decided I wanted to get into health care but both were very good offers. The health care provider won out though because it wasn't just money I wanted I was thinking about the future and what had more potential and health care for me was it.

I got 10 percent more than my last job (which I no longer had), health care benefits which were cheaper so I can get off my wife's benefits which means we come out over 200 dollars ahead each month with me getting my own health care. Annual performance bonuses, work from home one day per week and a bunch of other stuff. This all moved so quickly I was doubting stuff but I start next week so it must be real :)

Comments

• Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Congrats. Being laid off sucks. I know that feeling of 'being called' to the conference room...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Big Congrats!! Sounds like you made the best of the situation that was dealt to you. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations.

It's nice to see when putting the time and effort in pays off so quickly. Often when we get these certifications, it could be years before we see a pay off for our efforts.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Awesome to hear, congrats on the new job! I also agree with what you mentioned both with working out and feeling better and prepping for interviews. I prep for interviews but I'll take a lesson from you and look at taking notes, creating scenarios and doing a presentation. Also, YNAB is great software!! Good luck in your new job!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the new gig!
  • Options
    Russ5813Russ5813 Member Posts: 123 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You had an awesome mindset throughout the whole ordeal and it sounds like it's paying off, congrats!
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job!
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Attitude pays off. Good job staying sharp and upping your game even without a gig.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems like our posts today were similar, Congrats to you on the new job tpatt100
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice work to bounce back.

Stay in IT long enough you'll get called into the conference room.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great news! Thanks for sharing it with us! You're going to do very well in your new role and I'm looking forward to hearing about it.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing your journey with us!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    Started the other day, nice people and very laid back environment. After I get used to how things are done I can choose a day to work from home which is nice especially with winter approaching.

So many new acronyms.... I am taking notes like mad because they use acronyms like crazy so I need to learn the language of the natives in order to hasten my acclimation to the new environment. Starting next week I am going to be thrown into three projects they are starting, looking forward to that because it just means I get comfortable faster.
  • Options
    Love those acronyms...
  • Options
    No_NerdNo_Nerd Banned Posts: 168
    Motivational post for sure.... Good work on bouncing back
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I might need to take that health advise. My weight is starting to catch up to me.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    byron66 wrote: »
    I might need to take that health advise. My weight is starting to catch up to me.

It makes a huge (no pun intended) difference. I had developed sleep apnea and it was messing me up mentally at work, I was always tired.

I took a later shift at this new job so I can continue my morning work outs plus I can still take my son to daycare, and eat a good breakfast before work.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! Very inspirational story.

But an obvious word of advice to those who don't want to get laid off. Stay hungry, always expect a disaster and never get attached to your employer. Always be ready for this conference room talk and anticipate it any day. This isn't your company (unless you have a stake in it) and you are just another mercenary for hire.

Everything boils down to a lack of motivation like in TS case. He knew bad things are coming but wasn't able to kick himself out of a comfort zone. So at the end layoff was sort of beneficial to his well-being as he suddenly managed to find resources for advancements in both getting his body fit and getting his mind fit.

If we never felt ourselves comfortable while employed full-time all of this wouldn't have happened as we would be ready for it and never let ourselves to slack off.

Stay fit all the time, get certified, learn new stuff, always accept interviews in order to keep yourself used to it -- these are obvious things to do and still something that so many people don't find resources for. In order to keep yourself motivated we shouldn't ever trust status quo, know that it is very fragile, the market is volatile in its nature and we should always expect bad things to happen. Any day. Read the situation right by paying attention to small signs and jump the ship early and most and foremost be prepared to jump by getting fit everywhere.

If you want a bad example you can always look at folks who still work for IBM waiting for their heads to be cut in the next wave of layoffs.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the new job, lemonaide out of lemons and such, positive life changes are great!

Great tips for all from gespenstern as well. I fall into that slump with work sometimes, all is going OK, tend to relax on things, then there is a hiccup and it wakes me up again that you always need to be prepared.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats - Enjoy your hard work!
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Congrats!!! Sucks that you were laid off but major kudos for keeping yourself active mentally and physically. That type of prep/routine will do wonders for anyone. Glad to know it helped you too!

Again, congrats!!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow now that's how you interview! Great job and good luck with the new journey!
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,051 ■■■■■■■■□□
    brewboy wrote: »
    Wow now that's how you interview! Great job and good luck with the new journey!

No Kidding!
    Now i suddenly understand why i didn't get those "other" jobs.
    lol

Anybody can find a new gig... But you made a LIFE-STYLE change.
    You da Man!

This Monday,
    I need to get my @ss out of bed, and IN the GYM by 7am!!

Layoffs in the winter months can be fatal (slight hyperbole).... so maybe the Universe had a plan for you :]

Read the situation right by paying attention to small signs and jump the ship early and most and foremost be prepared to jump by getting fit everywhere.
    If you want a bad example you can always look at folks who still work for IBM waiting for their heads to be cut in the next wave of layoffs.

Or anyone working over @ VMware!
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,051 ■■■■■■■■□□
    volfkhat wrote: »
    This Monday,
    I need to get my @ss out of bed, and IN the GYM by 7am!!

I didn't make it.
    lol
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL - It's 90% diet anyways...... icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What a great story! Big congrats!!

And lessons learned for me:
    1) Don't let myself get out of shape
    2) Knock at least one cert per year
    3) Stay current
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position. Definitely is motivating
  • Options
    Well here's a little update :D

I found out last week that I was a replacement for somebody whose contract was ending. This person did not want to get hired on (they hire some people as a contractor first I got a deal where I didn't have to do this part). This contractor was supposed to bring me into her project workflow to help me get up to speed before her contract ended in March. The day after I met her she was complaining about stuff. I tried to be polite but I could tell she was having a bad day so I let it go and figured I would try again the next day.

The next day? My team gets an email from our manager that she was terminated. She had been bad mouthing the company to our third party partners and word made it's way back to higher management. She was also b.s.ing her status updates on the projects she was working on. I discovered this because my manager had a meeting with me and told me that if you get fired you know well in advance why because the company works with you first, this person wasn't just fired for one thing. I log into her project management portal and see all these past due assignments, she wasn't showing up for conference calls with third parties for the past month and there were inquiries for status updates on audit documents.

So my manager scheduled regular meetings and said she is going to have to get me up to speed. She has been giving me "homework" assignments, tasks here and there to get me comfortable with health care technology and terminology. I am doing a deep and fast dive into information privacy regulation, Medicare regulation, security audits for health care, etc.

I am taking notes like a madman and have been in meetings everyday writing down acronyms that I don't know so I can ask for translation afterwards. I also inherited the contractor's project collection and have scheduled meetings with the third parties to get up to speed on where they are on their audit projects.

Fun fun fun. :) On the bright side of things I will probably get up to speed pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Wow! Not cool to bad mouth the company. some people.. YIKES> Sounds like fun times! Good luck!