Job Offer Dilemma (Offered a lower pay than what I am currently receiving)

Blaze4GGBlaze4GG Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Everyone! So I went on an interview last week and the head of IT is offering me the job. However with some drawbacks. I am currently doing break/fix type of job.

Pros:
1. Health benefits which I currently don't have
2. Will gain lots of experience and be exposed to new technologies which I currently have ZERO at my current job.
3. They basically don't have an IT department (company has about 500 employees and 7 different locations). Interviewer said next year they should be in the market for helpdesk manager, Jr network admin, Network admin, System Admin, etc. So possibility for room for growth but no guarantee.

Cons:

1. Less pay than I am currently making.
2. Will require alot of overtime (so makes up for the less pay but working much harder). Although their is no guarantee for overtime so who knows.

Background:
I am currently working on my CCNA and expect to receive it by February 2017. Should I just pass on it and wait until i receive my CCNA to see what kind of offers I can get in the job market?
OR
Take this job and gain all the knowledge I can and experience

Comments

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on how much less, paid health is worth something if you don't get it now. But since you think you'll get your CCNA in a couple of months, I'd pass on this one.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes, depends on how much less and how much do they compensate for overtime?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So they'll take a year to make you fill the jobs of 5 people with the chance that they might hire them? I wouldn't trust that actually happening. If it's one thing I've learned it's that if most management sees the job can be done with less people they aren't going to hire more for "no reason".

My first job was really similar, even down to the 7 locations part, they never hired another person, I ran around like an idiot. You'll even end up beating your car up going between the different places, I took it because I was young and it was my first job.

I understand the idea that you feel like you might learn more, you might also get there and realize they have 7 workgroups, 50 printers and no budget, then you took a pay cut to support that, no thanks.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see a post asking for advice with
    No Job description/specifics,
    No salary specifics,
    No location/market specifics.
    lol

I would focus on the CCNA first; not sure i'd quit a job in the Middle of training/studying.
    But then again, if i knew the new job 'really' had LOTS of experience (as you put it)... then i probably would go for it.
    Experience > Money.

Just make sure you aren't takings calls, resetting passwords or doing break/fix all day...

EDIT:
    Whenever i go for a interview,
    i always ask myself "is there someone more knowledgable than me" and "are they willing to teach me new things".

In your case.... it sounds like the answer might be NO.
  • Blaze4GGBlaze4GG Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I think I am going to pass. I told him I will have an answer in the morning so I have to let him know pretty soon.
    Yes, depends on how much less and how much do they compensate for overtime?

Well I am currently making $15 an hour while this job is offering $13 an hour. I know both pay are nothing spectacular lol. So about 13% less. He said I should expect on avg 45-50 hours a week however this is no guarantee and overtime he time and a half.
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    So they'll take a year to make you fill the jobs of 5 people with the chance that they might hire them? I wouldn't trust that actually happening. If it's one thing I've learned it's that if most management sees the job can be done with less people they aren't going to hire more for "no reason".

My first job was really similar, even down to the 7 locations part, they never hired another person, I ran around like an idiot. You'll even end up beating your car up going between the different places, I took it because I was young and it was my first job.

I understand the idea that you feel like you might learn more, you might also get there and realize they have 7 workgroups, 50 printers and no budget, then you took a pay cut to support that, no thanks.

Thanks for your insight! Well the sites are in different states and would travel by air. What I dislike is that their is no guarantee. The new job openings might change from 2017 to 2018 or might not happen at all. So I am not too comfortable with that.
    Blaze4GG wrote: »
    Well I am currently making $15 an hour while this job is offering $13 an hour. I know both pay are nothing spectacular lol. So about 13% less. He said I should expect on avg 45-50 hours a week however this is no guarantee and overtime he time and a half.

Thanks for your insight! Well the sites are in different states and would travel by air. What I dislike is that their is no guarantee. The new job openings might change from 2017 to 2018 or might not happen at all. So I am not too comfortable with that.

You still haven't given any details about the actual position.
    WHAT is the job?
    Will you be working with anyone Sr?

It sounds bad... but maybe it Truly is an opportunity for more...
    volfkhat wrote: »
    I see a post asking for advice with
    No Job description/specifics,
    No salary specifics,
    No location/market specifics.
    lol

I would focus on the CCNA first; not sure i'd quit a job in the Middle of training/studying.
    But then again, if i knew the new job 'really' had LOTS of experience (as you put it)... then i probably would go for it.
    Experience > Money.

Just make sure you aren't takings calls, resetting passwords or doing break/fix all day...

EDIT:
    Whenever i go for a interview,
    i always ask myself "is there someone more knowledgable than me" and "are they willing to teach me new things".

In your case.... it sounds like the answer might be NO.
    lol sorry I should have provided more information. Was a bit cautious because he may be on here. I think my mind is already made up to turn it down since I have to give an answer within the next hour.

Job position is Help Desk Analyst. I will be with the senior IT helping setting up routers and switches as well as the usual help desk duties. I will also be helping / shadowing him while he implements Active Directory (server 2012) based on the info he gave me.
    offer is $13 an hour with time and a half for overtime (currently making $15 an hour)
    Location is Florida.

He did mention he wants to 'mentor' me.

My main gripe why I think I will be turning it down is I don't want to be earning $13 an hour in February 2017 with a CCNA, A+ and Bachelors in Computer Science (no longer interested in programming). I would be tempted to leave, don't want my resume to look like I am "job hopping".

EDIT: I will be working with essentially the only official IT person in a 500 employee organisation.
    For $13 an hour? No way.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't and here is why. You can build a homelab to get this "experience". Is it real work experience? No. Neither is starving yourself for $13/hr. Even when I did basic help desk I got paid $15/hr. Find your specialty and stick with it. People will pay more if you're in demand.

tl;dr: Get homelab, build homelab, make $$$
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Now THERE ya go!!
    lol

Wow...
    hmmmm...

If the shadowing/mentoring is legit.... i would probably TAKE it.

What you basically described is a PAID INTERNSHIP.

Yes the $13 is chumpchange.... but use that as motivation to complete your CCNA.
    (do you already have your CCENT)?

Sounds like a nice opportunity fo someone who is trying to break OUT of a rut...
    volfkhat wrote: »
    Now THERE ya go!!
    lol

Wow...
    hmmmm...

If the shadowing/mentoring is legit.... i would probably TAKE it.

What you basically described is a PAID INTERNSHIP.

Yes the $13 is chumpchange.... but use that as motivation to complete your CCNA.
    (do you already have your CCENT)?

Sounds like a nice opportunity fo someone who is trying to break OUT of a rut...
    You had to fight me for more information huh Lol

Thanks for your input. You certainly making the decision difficult. I do have my CCENT.

At this point I think I am going to stay where I am at, get my ccna then see what opportunities are out there. My current position I have lots of downtime to study so I will use that time wisely.
    Just curious, what city area do you work?
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    I wouldn't and here is why. You can build a homelab to get this "experience". Is it real work experience? No. Neither is starving yourself for $13/hr. Even when I did basic help desk I got paid $15/hr. Find your specialty and stick with it. People will pay more if you're in demand.

tl;dr: Get homelab, build homelab, make $$$

I will definitely do this. I actually put in some bids on some switches and routers on ebay last week. Lost all the bids though Lol. Thanks!
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While you are waiting to win some bids, do you have a virtual lab environment? If not, consider signing up for Cisco's free Packet Tracer 101 course. With it you will get a link to their Packet Tracer program. That might help out a bit.

Good luck.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a member clarson here that may be able to help you with equipment.
    Blaze4GG wrote: »
    I will definitely do this. I actually put in some bids on some switches and routers on ebay last week. Lost all the bids though Lol. Thanks!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    Just curious, what city area do you work?
    I'm in south Florida, specifically fortlauderdale.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    While you are waiting to win some bids, do you have a virtual lab environment? If not, consider signing up for Cisco's free Packet Tracer 101 course. With it you will get a link to their Packet Tracer program. That might help out a bit.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the tip. I already have packet tracer and I have been doing practice exams and labs. Pretty confident I can pass on the first go. For me CCNA content was much easier to grasp than expected. I did go to a class and the instructor was really good so that may be why.
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    There is a member clarson here that may be able to help you with equipment.
    Thanks! I will message him later today when I'm off work.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't take this, for what it sounds like the role is it should be in the upper teens, at least.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.