Options

ITPro.tv and CBT Nuggets quick comparison

adrianm68adrianm68 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
These two services have their own qualities, and are good in their own right, but I managed to make a direct comparison the other night. I am studying for CCNA R&S and needed to learn about GRE. I watched Don Pezet present GRE in 39 minutes.

I then flicked over to Jeremy Cioara and got exactly the same info in just over 7 minutes! In 25 minutes I was well and truly versed in both GRE and DMVPN (which seems very cool btw even if its not in the CCNA!).

So although my post is not meant to be critical nor be a recommendation, Don Pezet can just waffle on so much that he goes way, way longer than Jeremy Cioara even when Jeremy gives us a funny albeit irrelevant introduction on every nugget.
2017 Goals: Cisco: [x]Switch [ ]Route [ ]Tshoot

Cisco engineer's command to teach his dog to sit: "no stand"

Comments

• Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been considering CBT vs. ITPro.tv and I must admit I prefer the delivery of ITPro.tv over CBT. Being able to see the presenter talk is much more engaging than just staring at a whiteboard. Then again I think CBT has much more technical firepower in their team, especially since they have Jeremy being a CCIE vs. Don being a CCNP but that's neither here nor there for CCENT/CCNA or CCNP level stuff. CCIE is also not their target audience either. I think the biggest decider for me at the moment is price ... CBT is poison expensive.
  • Options
    adrianm68adrianm68 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dontstop wrote: »
    I've been considering CBT vs. ITPro.tv and I must admit I prefer the delivery of ITPro.tv over CBT. Being able to see the presenter talk is much more engaging than just staring at a whiteboard. Then again I think CBT has much more technical firepower in their team, especially since they have Jeremy being a CCIE vs. Don only being a CCNP. I think the biggest decider for me at the moment is price ... CBT is poison expensive.

Yep. I agree with you about itpro.tv. I use both and they both have their qualities. I just wish they could be meshed together: Being able to see Jeremy present AND getting THAT subscription for itpro.tv prices. Sweet!

Sometimes I think Don doesn't quite know his stuff, which is why I liked the Lammle presentations.
    2017 Goals: Cisco: [x]Switch [ ]Route [ ]Tshoot

Cisco engineer's command to teach his dog to sit: "no stand"
  • Options
    adrianm68 wrote: »
    Sometimes I think Don doesn't quite know his stuff, which is why I liked the Lammle presentations.

In saying that I believe they're doing the show live? It also seems that their basic shows are unscripted because they do need to sometimes refer online for some points. Kudos if they're doing it off the cuff but for canonical material I'd hope they'd go back and fix the mistakes. Maybe they're expecting viewers to report technical issues like Khan Academy does. But that's a little dangerous as you'd think that those watching the content are learning it for the first time.

100% agree with a fusion of CBT depth of material and their library, ITPro.tv pricing and format would be the ultimate of both worlds.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    What about INE?
  • Options
    chopsticks wrote: »
    What about INE?

They're on my list of "pay per class" options. I only discovered them yesterday after a YouTube recommendation for the RouterCast channel came up. Looking at their offering I think I'd cherry pick their content and not go with the subscription service.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't heard of itpro.tv until seeing this thread. Seems about on the level of CBT nuggets, maybe not quite as deep, however CBT isn't very deep either. IT looks like a good site to get introduced to the tech and learn a bit but I only trust INE to teach in the realm of expert level content.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would choose ITProTV over CBT Nuggets. The first three exams I got I thank ITProTV more than any other course. The only downside is that I doubt they would go beyond MCSE/VCP/CCNP level certs in terms of technical difficulty.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Can I throw Pluralsight in the ring? Can anyone compare one of them with Pluralsight?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN