Options

Office365 migration nightmare!!!

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
whew!! what a day.

so at work we have 6000 users running Office 2013 going through an Office365 migration. So they're doing these in 400 user
batches and the first 2000 users have migrated ok with no issues, then yesterday all of a sudden...chaos!!

We started getting back-to-back calls at the helpdesk. Each user reports that after they went through the migration they
are no longer able to login to Outlook. When they click on the Outlook icon on their desktop it prompts them for a password
but never accepts their username/password even though it is correct.

So how can this be? Is their an option during the migration that was overlooked? Maybe a checkmark that was carelessly
omitted or added? I find that the steps for migrating to Office365 has been fairly standardized so their has to be
a part of the migration that could typically lead to a situation like this if not done correctly.

*** hmm, there is actually a twist to this though. For the users experiencing these issues, if you have them go to microsoftonline.com
they can login perfectly. They can also install an Outlook 2016 client which opens normally with no issues !!! ***
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I did a migration to Office365, I had the same exact issue, only the clients were running Outlook 2010. The user constantly got prompted for their password. However, on my machine (which had Office 2016), they had no issue.

It turned out to be the version of Outlook 2010. If I took that machine and checked MS Updates from Microsoft's site directly, there was an Outlook 2010 patch that was missing. Once I installed that, they were good to go.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same in your case.

If you haven't already tried, have the user who can't login to Outlook 2013 try to login on the computer of a user who had no issues
  • Options
    majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats interesting, last year i helped my company migrate to office 365 only about 300 users tho. We had to break up the batches into 10 per day because of the timeframe it took back then. The users could not use their existing outlook because the exchange server changed from on-premise to the outlook.office365.com server so the profile had to be re-done. the new office 2016 might exactly configure better than the older versions because the login connects to 365 credentials. But its interesting that some of your users were fine then issue occured.
  • Options
    I did one earlier this year for 1500 users, 100 at a time. I migrated them 95% during the day and completed the rest during off hours. There were a few like majorpayne said, where we had to recreate the outlook profile.
  • Options
    I had a hunch that the various methods to migrate to 365 have already been etched out and standardized. So same way you migrate 1000 Outlook 2013 users in Florida is the exact same way you would migrate them in GhwangZou, China.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Our office is currently going through the migration to 365. I am not part of the team performing the implementation but I do know the process involves having to re-do the shortcuts on the desktop because the old ones were pointing to the previous installation of office.
    Hope that helps and good luck
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I'm interested to know after this migration, is there any impact to the network bandwidth going forward?
  • Options
    G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    Have you reconfigured the outlook profile? Its probs trying to connect to your on prem autodiscover
  • Options
    G.O.A.T wrote: »
    Have you reconfigured the outlook profile? Its probs trying to connect to your on prem autodiscover

you can reconfigure the Outlook profile till the cows come home. Ithe doesn't fix this particular issue!! ....that's why it has our entire helpdesk up in a twist.
  • Options
    G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    Have you disabled on-prem autodiscover?
  • Options
    G.O.A.T wrote: »
    Have you disabled on-prem autodiscover?

at which stage of the migration, where, and how, is that done?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you on the desk trying to help out the deployment team / infrastructure team?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a minimum patch level for Outlook 2013, as well... I believe at least SP1. The issue is really the Autodiscover changes that were introduced with Exchange 2013, so it is a similar situation as with Outlook 2010.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    There is a minimum patch level for Outlook 2013, as well... I believe at least SP1. The issue is really the Autodiscover changes that were introduced with Exchange 2013, so it is a similar situation as with Outlook 2010.

...so you saying installing this patch fixes it?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If not having the patch is the issue, yes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    You should run the analyzer and it'll tell you what the issue is. It's been a couple of days since you posted this, so hopefully (for your IT department's reputations sake) you already have the solution.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com
  • Options
    MitM wrote: »
    You should run the analyzer and it'll tell you what the issue is. It's been a couple of days since you posted this, so hopefully (for your IT department's reputations sake) you already have the solution.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com

...which test do I pick though? there are so many of them. only thing going on is that after migrating the users exchange account to Office365 then Outlook 2013 no longer accepting their password even though the password is valid.
  • Options
    click on the Office 365 tab and then start by doing both the Outlook connectivity tests
  • Options
    MitM wrote: »
    click on the Office 365 tab and then start by doing both the Outlook connectivity tests

cool. will do, we're still 3000+ users to be migrated so we're still knee deep in the situation.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let us know how it goes. I'm in the middle of a hybrid migration with Exchange 2010, and other than a few bumps along the way and one support case with Microsoft, it's been pretty smooth.