Options

Certification Goals for 2017

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I try not to set goals because more often than not, life gets in the way.

I did my CISM as a last minute thing this year. I'd like to go the CISA in 2017/2018 and potentially the CCSP.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My 2017 goals will be to finish whatever I started for 2016. Most likely CCNP:R&S and CCNP:Security.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SSCP
    CCSP
    and possibly CCFP

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    I am an overachiever. I had no plans to do any certs this year but completed the Sec+ and CISSP (awaiting endorsement) this year thanks to TE and a few co-workers getting me motivated!

just to add, no idea what i will work on for 2017. definitely some labbing. maybe CCSP? SSCP? will cross that bridge when i get to it. for now labbing and seeing what is out there that can be had with the CISSP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    2017 may be the first year in a while where I don't do a cert. So far I'm inclined to work exclusively on my DSc. If that doesn't pan out I will go for CCSP and possibly GPEN.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Knocked out CEH less than two weeks ago. My request for GCIA is pending approval and I'm thinking about CISM.

If I can get into my desired masters program at the Univ of Amsterdam in Sept 2017 then I'll put certs to the side.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm inclined to work exclusively on my DSc.

If you don't mind answering, where at?

Talks of degrees always gets me thinking of going for my Masters, couple years away from actually doing it I think though.
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @OctalDump, I agree I am studying for my VCP 550 before that expires and I am souly focused on that for the end of the year. .......will reply to this Post in a few months God Spears Life.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Capitol Tech. I've been accepted, just making 100% I want to pursue it before I commit.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If I can knock a SANS cert or two, I'll be happy.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Given that I only have a Sec+, I'll take any cert win!
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2017 Goals: eCPPT, OSCP, LFCS, CISSP-ISSAP

Time permitting, honorable mentions:
    Finish CCNP Security
    Palo Alto PCNSE
    ISC2 CCSP
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CEH
    CISSP
    GCIA
    GNFA
    Master's
    eCPPT

Who knows.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Linux+ if I don't get off my butt and finish it before the end of this year.

CCNP
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    OK, I'll bite. I'm hoping to get a couple more exams done before the end of the year.

Start a Master's in InfoSec - likely will take 2 years.

VCP-DCV renewal, possibly with VCP-NV

Finish my CCNP R+S exams (illness this year messed up this one for me)
    RHCE
    CISSP - or more likely Associate of ISC2
    Wireless something (CCNA Wireless, CWNA)
    ITIL Intermediate (or at least finish the courses)

Possibly some more Project Management. Maybe some more Cloud/Virtualisation.

Still deciding what to do with Windows. I had planned on getting a few MCSAs this year, but I don't think I'm really a Windows person. It will probably depend on the work I am doing.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    2017 Goals:

CCNP R&S
    CCNA Data Center
    CCNA Security
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Given that I only have a Sec+, I'll take any cert win!

no excuseicon_lol.gif. at the beginning of 2016 i didn't even have Sec+, only A+ and Network+. I knocked out Sec+ in March and CISSP a couple weeks ago. it can be done! i had about 8 years of IT before this and did the A+ and Net+ in 2010 when they were still lifetime. just had to get motivated again.

set a goal and stick to it. i decided in February that i was doing the Sec+. took it a couple weeks later and committed to the CISSP by the end of 2016. just had to set deadlines
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□

CCNA
    Sec+
    ?

I just want to give thanks to all those on this forum. My current IT job (my first one since my occupation change) has been soul crushing. Mainly due to my boss and they way he treats certs and his lack of any ability to train people. It's nice to come here and see helpful people who continually try and help others. So my 2017 goal is to get back on track with certs and being excited to learn new tech.

Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays to all of you here, and may 2017 bless you and your families.
  • Options
    The Absolutely Must-Know Facts on What Will Drive IT Employment Worldwide in 2017!

Download the factsheet to plan your career in 2017 & to know the trends & predictions of IT industry in 2017

73% of statistics are made up on the spot! I think you might have intended this for a different thread.
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2016 was a banner year: Linux+, GCIA, finished my BS CIS. Awaiting results of CSA+ Beta.

2017: Another SANS cert either GCIH or GNFA, CHFI for the lolz, CISSP long over due.

I'm very fortunate that my employer values certifications and training and will pay for them. Thanks to everyone on TE for sharing their valuable experience. Good luck to everyone for 2017!
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My 2016 was pretty good too, parts 2 and 3 of my Server 2012 MCSA, Mobility+ and Windows 10 697..

Next year (actually already started due to my work year being Nov-Oct) is hopefully Office 365 MCSA and the Windows 10 698 for the MCSA there as well.. After that, I dunno.. perhaps a SharePoint or Skype elective for an MCSE
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    dhay13 wrote: »
    no excuseicon_lol.gif. at the beginning of 2016 i didn't even have Sec+, only A+ and Network+. I knocked out Sec+ in March and CISSP a couple weeks ago. it can be done! i had about 8 years of IT before this and did the A+ and Net+ in 2010 when they were still lifetime. just had to get motivated again.

set a goal and stick to it. i decided in February that i was doing the Sec+. took it a couple weeks later and committed to the CISSP by the end of 2016. just had to set deadlines

Preach! I know your right. I should just schedule my C| EH now for a month out or something, that way I have no excuse. Other wise I feel I can study forever.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Preach! I know your right. I should just schedule my C| EH now for a month out or something, that way I have no excuse. Other wise I feel I can study forever.

This. This is exactly what I do. Asses my current level of knowledge. Schedule the test then get to work!
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I originally said I'd do MCSA 2012 this year but due to various personal reasons, it never happened. I'm thinking of jumping straight to MCSA 2016 for 2017 and considering CCENT although I have no Cisco experience. Is this the right one to start on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Busy year next year!

2017: OSCP,GPEN,Server+,E|CSP
    Still have 1 more cert to do before the year is over!
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    2017 Goal:

> Land my first true security role (5 years of IT experience as a generalist tech)
    > CCNA R&S
    > CCNA Security
    > SSCP
  • Options
    Strange, I got a rep comment about my cert goals. Someone remarked "no................" Dont know who or why my cert goals were so important for someone else but who ever you are, just PM if you have something to say or have any questions. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really wish I could find one that made sense in my space....... You all in security are lucky ;)
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Strange, I got a rep comment about my cert goals. Someone remarked "no................" Dont know who or why my cert goals were so important for someone else but who ever you are, just PM if you have something to say or have any questions. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think maybe they thought you were being too optimistic, maybe they misread your honourable mentions as definite goals.

FWIW, I think your 3 are achievable given what you already have.
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    I think maybe they thought you were being too optimistic, maybe they misread your honourable mentions as definite goals.

FWIW, I think your 3 are achievable given what you already have.

Yeah so many factors play into what is achievable during a year. Study habits, free time, dedication, previous experience, financing, exam difficulty, to name a few. My average has always been somewhere between 2-4 certs. 2016 was tough for me, I failed CISSP twice, passed CEH, and PASS CCNP Switch to recertify my cisco exams. I am taking my third attempt for CISSP Dec 1st. So sitting 5 exams wasn't easy for me mentally and financially.

I had other goals for 2016, but failed attempts set me back twice, and that was easily 6 months time of setback due to financial and restudying material. Oh well, it happens and you continue to move on. Anyway I just wanted to call out that person who feels like they wanted to say something to me but did it in a secret way without PMing me personally.

Thanks OctalDump and I hope you have a good year of success with your goals in 2017!