Options

Certification Goals for 2017

12346»

Comments

• Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just finished the CRISC exam, application in and waiting for final review. Promised the wife that I would take the rest of the summer off from studying certs but it's like crack. I'm on chapter 3 of my PMP prep book. Studying when she's not around... know I'm going to get busted... can't stop...
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

For 2017 my goals are:

GPEN (Studying for now and will be attempting in January. It's more for my personal interest and what I want to be my secondary skill set).
    CCSK (February)
    CSM (February/March)

CISM
    CISA
    CRISC
    (Thankfully with ISACA's new CBT and open scheduling I can knock out these back to back to back)

Non-cert Goals:
    Learn Python
    Learn Linux/Bash

Mid 2017 Update:

Knocked out CISM, CISA, and CRISC. Working on the CCSK while waiting on my PMP application to get approved, then will tackle that. Avoiding the CSM for now as I hate their model of having to pay for a course to take an easy open book exam. Seems like a cash grab. After those are knocked out I'm debating going for the TOGAF and CCSP. If not, I'll be working on pentesting stuff.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    lloris_20lloris_20 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Update:

passed the Network+

onto studying Linux commandline and then exploring Virtualization. Possibly VCP/DCV next year.
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISSP exam knocked out! Endorsement ongoing.
    Currently continuing through WGU BS:ITSec degree, planning on PMP late this year.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Finally found one that makes sense.

Teradata certified professional. That will be it this year.
  • Options
    Walchaar6Walchaar6 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would like to get the following:

Security+
    Network+

if anyone has any advice for the best way to study for the Certs i mentioned please let me know.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Walchaar6 wrote: »
    i would like to get the following:

Security+
    Network+

if anyone has any advice for the best way to study for the Certs i mentioned please let me know.

For Security+ I highly recommend reading the Darril Gibson book.
    For Network+ I read the Mike Meyers book and passed quite easily.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Goal VPC6-DCV and mastering powershell...new job.
  • Options
    bEastCoastbEastCoast Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    100k wrote: »
    Goal VPC6-DCV and mastering powershell...new job.

I too am becoming very familiar with PowerShell due to current position. Best way so far for learning it (for me) has been just to use it where ever I can and to also use online resources to get examples. Basically, learn by doing. Also using a test environment before introducing to production.
  • Options
    FreeguyFreeguy Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Freeguy wrote: »
    Currently on my wishlist for 2017:

WCNA, to learn more about the underlying protocols and get better at packet analysis.
    CWAP, to learn more about wireless analysis
    CWDP, to learn more about wireless design (and finish up the CWNP program and get the CWNE)

To be honest, that's probably all I will have time for, considering that my work will probably want me to get the PCSNE as well. If I finish the above I'll resume my CCNP studies.

More importantly, I'm resolving to get more "screen-free" time next year :)

Mid year update!

I passed the CWDP and I'm taking the CWAP tomorrow. Fingers crossed... this is the last CWNP exam for me.

I got a new job as a Solutions Architect and I find myself more focused on theory and design and less on troubleshooting, so the WCNA is probably off the table. I will likely pursue the ACDX, PCSNE, or CCNP next.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    My year have been pretty cluster Fky. Broke at the moment.
    We'll see what happens. I'm getting a bit tired of networks and kind of want to move to analysis/management or other stuff.
    meh
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Completed C|EH and GCIH in the last two weeks, which btw were 2016 goals, so now I'm going to focus on family and work before I start another discipline. Thinking of either Linux Foundation, SecurityTube Python or Azure linux. All are work related and would help, I also heard rumors that my work is sending me to GPEN, so I might just chill and focus on family.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    KoreKore Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just tested and passed the CWTS a week ago. It was a easy exam and used it as a way to gauge the way questions are written for the CWNP exams. Remaining goals for this year are the CWNA, VCP-DCV6 (2016 Goal) and Security+.
  • Options
    flyerxlflyerxl Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCSA 2012 nearly done. Just got to knock out the 412, sitting that 8/5.
  • Options
    BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed sec+ last week, started OSCE and hopefully will finish by late September.

Also finished my masters earlier this year.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    Exactly!
    I finished non of my technical certification goals for 2016 . . Hoping to at least pass ITIL Foundation by year end.

For 2017 the Plan is:

eWPT (I paid for it already, lab time expires in June).
    eCPPT (I paid for it already).
    ITIL Foundation(If I fail to pass this year).
    CobIT 5 Foundation [Maybe].
    CIA (Certified Internal Auditor .. a long long looooong shot).

Year End report.

This was an unproductive year, I finished none of them.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    wd40 wrote: »
    Year End report.

This was an unproductive year, I finished none of them.

Get a quick win for 2018! You can knock out the ITIL-F in two weeks. Get Claire Agutter’s book and read it twice.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework