Options

Home router setups

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am curious on what everyone is using on here for their home router and wifi. When I first got into Cisco networking I used an 1841 with an HP AP. This was okay to see Cisco networking in a live environment, but knew for home use it was easier to have something, well, for home use.

Currently I use an ASUS RT N66u. While it's a great model, I would like to upgrade to AC Wifi. Does anyone have any recommendations?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently using a TP-Link Archer C5 AC router. It was affordable and powerful enough for my needs. The 5ghz band is absolutely necessary for my Wi-Fi crowded neighborhood. The configuration options are good with plenty of advanced networking options for almost any need. I also like the USB ports for setting up my own local network storage and printing. I haven't had any notable issues with it.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been using the ASUS RT AC66U for awhile and haven't had any issues. Like the UI for it and has decent amount of features. Probably not a whole lot different then your current one.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I've been running a Nighthawk R7000 for 2.5 years and the thing has been super solid. I have a few Cisco switches and routers behind it powering my lab but I refrained from having my "prod" network go trough the Cisco stuff for the sake of simplicity (wife won't kill me if something gets messed up and web access goes down). I keep looking for excuses to move to a full Ubiquiti setup but can't really justify it.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite as my router. pfSense VM as my DMZ firewall. Though, once my PA-200 lab service bundle gets renewed then I'll eventually replace the pfSense VM. For whatever reason, two of our personal PA-200 devices were not renewed. For AP, I use old tech. 2 x Ruckus 7363 and WNDR3800 running as AP-mode. If I ever decide to use 802.11ac, I will most likely use Ubiquiti. Though, they are pretty pricey for home setup. This would probably mean I may need to replace the ERL to USG for controller support. We shall see.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never really looked into the ubiquiti stuff before. Without looking stuff up (I'm traveling today), can someone give me the pros and cons on it? And in comparison to a ASUS/netgear router how does it compare on uptime, memory, functionality, etc?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TP-Link running OpenWrt.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a TP-Link behind a Palo
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also run the ASUS RT-N66U. No complaints here, although the ASUS RT-AC5300 looks mighty sexy. icon_wink.gif
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My ASUS RT-N66U finally failed from overheating. I replaced it with an ASUS RT-AC68R. I added a small USB fan on the back to keep it a bit cooler, and loaded the latest stable Merlin firmware, and it's been fine.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Well since you asked what we are using at home... Cisco ASA 5510 for the firewall, Cisco 2811 router, Cisco 3560 switch, and Cisco 1142n. :P
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco ASA 5505 -> Cisco 1142N AP
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It has changed seveal times, but recently Ubiquity ERL with Unified AP. Works well and is simple to manage.