Options

Having a rough time...

Comments

• Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As i've said, my pen-testing skills have faded big time. After I did the OSCP, I was actually offered a job as a pen-tester but the managers seemed dreadful on the interview and along with a few other issues, I decided not to go for it. I had a pen-testing interview recently and got grilled about XSS and SQLi - both of which are only covered in a very, very basic section on the OSCP and i've not gone away and done lots of XSS and SQLi work - so I failed that badly.

My true passion is in desktop/server support and i'd like to do that long-term and ultimately become a manager one day. But for now, I just want a technical role that keeps me thinking. I'd also prefer to keep the travel to a minimum. I'll see how Monday goes but if it goes sour i'll definitely get in touch! Cheers!
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hope you get news from the interview, best of luck with it! icon_thumright.gif
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck si!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I did however, get told that I "almost maxed out the points awarded for the interview". So it's not my interview skills that are the problem here. I think i've just had the worst luck I could possibly get for 5 months on the trot. I'm quite shocked that i've been unemployed for so long. Prior to this, I had around 8 years IT experience. So to go from 8 years employed to 5 months unemployed is quite demoralising. Ah well, I will keep trying and when I get a job, I will post back.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    si20 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I did however, get told that I "almost maxed out the points awarded for the interview". So it's not my interview skills that are the problem here.

Did they say why they didn't hire you then?
  • Options
    Did they say why they didn't hire you then?

They didn't - and stupid me forgot to ask. I'm frustrated to be honest - i've spend a large amount of money investing in myself and i've had a lot of IT experience and I can't seem to gain employment no matter what.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I did however, get told that I "almost maxed out the points awarded for the interview". So it's not my interview skills that are the problem here. I think i've just had the worst luck I could possibly get for 5 months on the trot. I'm quite shocked that i've been unemployed for so long. Prior to this, I had around 8 years IT experience. So to go from 8 years employed to 5 months unemployed is quite demoralising. Ah well, I will keep trying and when I get a job, I will post back.
    I know the feeling.It truly sucks. They say 'Don't take it personally', but how can you not? Anyway, hang in there. You will find something!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear it's been difficult for you. There appears to be a deficiency of available positions where you are because the supply of educated workers is higher per capita than in a lot of places (most developed/developing places). I place the blame on this buzz-word "Uncertain" that is ebbing and flowing through the common vernacular world-wide in politico and economic circles. Analysts, politicians, even the FED Chair and outgoing POTUS like to hang on it. Causes a lot of caution and as though this time of year doesn't yield the usual slowdown as is with all the quarterly and annual changes that companies typically see... now we get these concerns about Current World Events making things a little... uncertain.

Hope it squares up soon, I'll be looking to jump ship to a better, faster course in the near future too.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Sorry to hear that Si20. It took me a long time to find my current job so I understand.

Honestly, at this point I think you should consider relocation if it's possible. If I were you I'd start applying to all the jobs anywhere in Europe
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    haha "just send the job to the other printer"

Yeah, that addresses the problem LOL By that alone, you should know you dont want to work there.

Good luck man.
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate, I know it sucks but try and stay positive. You have some great qualifications and experience and hopefully you get some luck soon. It seems that in the UK unless you want to work in London, Birmingham or Manchester, there aren't a great deal of decent IT roles around. I got lucky this time round in terms of role and location and hope you get something soon as well.
  • Options
    Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Dude, apply for some easy help desk position that pays like 15-20 an hour. Then kick-ass at it. Within a few months, you'll be promoted. When I was HD manager, I saw that a lot. These top tier guys taking the job out of desperation, and I recommend them to a different department because it's insulting for them to be answering calls and fixing dumb adobe problems. Plus it's easy to transfer within than it is to get in.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would buy some goats & let them fight weeds in your neighborhood. 8^D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP8m4HbyzhI
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    Hey guys, i've (finally!) got some good news..... i've been offered a position!! It has only took me 5 months *deep sigh*

I kinda took Moldygr33nb3an's advice and went for a helpdesk position. There is LOTS of room for progression and internal movement into networking, server or security teams. But initially, i'm going to be tasked with building the helpdesk from scratch, so it's going to be an interesting experience to say the least! I'm waiting to sign on the dotted line, but it all seems to be going smoothly so far.

My plan is to work there indefinitely. I've learned first hand now why you shouldn't walk out of a job. But I think sometimes, you have to experience things first hand to really understand them. If I said: "that fire is hot, don't touch it!" - you almost want to put your hands near it, just to get the experience of the heat. I got that experience and it has actually taught me a valuable lesson and i'm happy (in a weird way) I got to experience it.

Also, for anyone in future who reads this, let me give you this advice: don't, give, up. Ever. I was on the verge of giving up a few times during my 5 month search. I just couldn't figure out how I wasn't getting interviews/roles. My advice is to brush up on interview techniques. Learn the hidden meanings behind questions. If they want you to talk about yourself - they want you to talk about what skills you have that are relevant to the role. If they ask where you want to be in 18 months time, don't say you want to be managing your colleagues (even if you do).

Thanks everyone for the positivity over the past few months, it has helped a lot! Cheers
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good luck! Congrats!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man
    Knew you could do it. Take this as a learning experience to NEVER stop improving and make this your year
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Woohoo, cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!!

I know what it's like to have a difficult time finding a job. I left a dead end job to study abroad again and when I came back, I spent 8 months looking for an IT job. I applied to five places and got two interviews. At that time, the job applications wanted the current or previous managers information and the last manager did not like me at all. I was going to apply for Officer Candidate School for the US Navy while doing my MSIA at WGU but people suggested that I finish my masters first. I didn't complete the application for OCS nor the masters.

I'm glad that you were able to find something!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Congratulations!!!!

I know what it's like to have a difficult time finding a job. I left a dead end job to study abroad again and when I came back, I spent 8 months looking for an IT job. I applied to five places and got two interviews. At that time, the job applications wanted the current or previous managers information and the last manager did not like me at all. I was going to apply for Officer Candidate School for the US Navy while doing my MSIA at WGU but people suggested that I finish my masters first. I didn't complete the application for OCS nor the masters.

I'm glad that you were able to find something!

Cheers jamesleecoleman, hope you're having much better luck now! IT seems to be a rollercoaster ride of an industry!
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! I always love a happy ending to these threads icon_cheers.gif

Cheers!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Very happy for you! I had to take a step back (down) to help-desk also. It's bad, but bad enough to make you want to "try, harder." Hope to do that very soon also.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Happy for you man!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the job, best of luck with it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats Si, you deserve it man! Good on you for staying positive and not giving up. Onwards and upwards now icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, sometimes you have to take a step back to be able to assess the next moves.
  • Options
    kabooterkabooter Member Posts: 115
    Hey guys, i've (finally!) got some good news..... i've been offered a position!! It has only took me 5 months *deep sigh*

I kinda took Moldygr33nb3an's advice and went for a helpdesk position. !"

congratulations. But I have a STRONG word of caution for you.
    Helpdesk is a job, not a career.
    Dont rest too much. Party for a week, learn the tricks of trade and then restart job search for better options. Now that you are not desperate, you will get better options. Dont know why but luck is just like that.
    All the best.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the job! Glad something finally worked out for you.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've said this many times, the ones who keep going are the ones who make it.

Congrats, whats next to come is another journey in life, make sure you have plenty of coffee on hand. crash.gif