Options

Advice on MCSA: Windows Server 2012 exam route

Enigma1Enigma1 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I have working experience of Windows Server 2008 and some Windows Server 2012.
I would like to take an MCSA: Windows Server 2012 through self study,
containing modules:
70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
70-411: Administering Windows Server 2012
70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services

I plan to do the labs using Oracle Virtual Box or VMWare.
Can you please advise on were I can find some online instruction as to how this
can be set up, or how you have done this yourself?

In addition I am aware that has Windows Server 2016 just been released. Will my MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certificate (when I acheive it) automatically become redundant/ or have an expiry date
with the introduction of the new Windows Server 2016 MCSA certificate?

Will it therefor be necessary to upgrade to MCSA: Windows Server 2016 by taking module
70-743: Updgrading Your Skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016?

Thankyou in advance,
Enigma

Comments

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I certainly think 2012 will be around for a while. Just look at how long 2003 was relevant.

You can always take an upgrade exam in the future after learning the new features etc/ and some hands on.

Also, do you want to go MCSE? because if you don't, you could substitute the 74-409 exam for Hyper-V. I've heard it is much easier and this is what I am going for in January from the advice here.

VMWare Workstation is what I use. It allows for nested hypervisors (running full hyper-v within vmware).
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Yes your MCSA 2012 will still be relevant. Thankfully Microsoft doesn't have expiration dates for their associate level certs. It will be relevant as long as 2012 is used. 2008 is still very relevant and will be for another few years imo because people will still be using it.

As for study I would use virtual box or some other free form of virtualization. I've used VirtualBox, VMware and another free product (can't remember name) and all work great. You just need a solid pc to run multiple virtual servers on your desktop. Alternatively you can have a dedicated box for this but it's overkill and any money spend on another box could simply be put into your desktop.

I lab with an Athlon four core, 5gb memory desktop. It works great news only exception is WSUS, that service really needs dedicated hardware. You can get a feel for the product though.

Instructions? No, just install the OS and work through Utne you'll learn more.

Self study I how I passed my MCSA 2008 and VCP and how I'm studying for 2012.
  • Options
    alfred06alfred06 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    self study is good, because it is at your own pace. I am using vmware at work, just install couple of servers and windows 8 client and youre good. You can follow all the plural sights videos. Not much resources for 2016 maybe around end of 2017 early 2018 would be a good time to upgrade. good luck.