Options

Switch to HR? Maybe IT/HR hybrid role?

relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
Been trying to figure out a way of changing careers. I have 12+ years in IT, certifications, B.S. and make good money currently. However I am not enjoying what I do much these days, I have been looking into various types of other fields in and outside of the IT realm. I don't want to take a massive pay cut but I don't know how easy it would be to switch to something like HR without doing that.

Was thinking maybe I could do a hybrid role of IT/HR but have no idea if such a thing exists or what that would look like or pay. Again I have no idea if I would like HR but I have spent a good amount of time trying to think of something I might enjoy more and HR might be one of those things.

Comments

• Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe an HRIS role? You'd be working with things like employee information databases, benefit enrollment software, payroll software, etc.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My wife is an HR Director, all I can say is I would not want her job. Best of luck

(she does get paid more then I do though... icon_cry.gif)
  • Options
    I also enjoy finances/budgeting so if I could do that as well I think I might like that. On the IT side I enjoy policies/procedures/documentation especially on the security side of things. This might all jive well together, some kind of HRIS role would maybe be a good transition.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    What qualifications do HR need?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    HRIS, but they usually require you have access with one of the big COTS system, Peoplesoft etc.

Those roles usually like the applicant having XML, SOAP, REST some experiences with API's etc.
  • Options
    I am not good with those things listed...
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    What qualifications do HR need?

It's a bit like IT, need ≠ should have. Depending on the role in HR, postgraduate (Master's or higher, in specific things such as human resource management or industrial/organisational psychology) would be a good thing. The reality is that a lot of people in HR are not much more than generic office admin staff with not much specific training in HR. A good HR person, like a good IT person, makes you money by saving you money and mitigating risks and bringing more productivity.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Maybe you could get into corporate it training for a larger org.