Options

Should I go for the Security+ and Network+ and Computer Information Systems degree?

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
Im really interested in the Networking and Security fields of I.T... The program in which I will be attending is an authorized Comptia Academy and this what their MIS curriculum looks like:
hsnd3b.png

Would this degree along with the CompTia Security+ and Network+ help me become employable after college?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like a lot of business classes in that program.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What are you interested in most? Then go on from there..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the CompTIA triad (A+, Net+, Sec+) would compliment that degree nicely, especially given your listed interests in IT.

An understanding of business is always a plus. Long gone are the days when IT was locked in the proverbial basement. The more business sense an IT professional possesses, the better s/he can leverage his/her technical skill set.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sylice wrote: »
    Would this degree along with the CompTia Security+ and Network+ help me become employable after college?
    Probably. You usually can't go wrong with a masters and certs combo.
  • Options
    trueshrewkmctrueshrewkmc Member Posts: 107
    @PJ_Sneakers Course numbers in 300s/400s look like undergrad.

If this is a school in the United States, is it regionally accredited? If it isn't, you won't qualify for graduate school admission at most schools or for some jobs (government, large companies).
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    amcnow wrote: »
    An understanding of business is always a plus. Long gone are the days when IT was locked in the proverbial basement.

I swear I just read this exact statement in an article somewhere this week. ;) But he is working on developing his technical skill set is the only reason I question if it is the best program. Looks like a managerial program. If he wants to become a manager that is great, but I would recommend people going to college to learn skills they plan on using right when they get out. Looks like there is 2 or 3 courses in there that cover what his interests are in. (out of 21 courses)

To the OP, the program will help you land a job though. Having a degree in anything helps a person land a job and is nice checkbox to fill.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @PJ_Sneakers Course numbers in 300s/400s look like undergrad.

If this is a school in the United States, is it regionally accredited? If it isn't, you won't qualify for graduate school admission at most schools or for some jobs (government, large companies).
    Ohhhh, oops. Reading is fundamental, kids.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■

This here! ^^^
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While a solid understanding of business MIGHT be beneficial to someone in IT, knowing their specific technology/domain inside and out is far more beneficial.

Always amazes me to see people who are going for X, but instead of learning X to it's fullest, they dabble with Y and Z. Strange.......