Options

internet connection sharing problems

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
Well today I screwed the pooch royally.

I was having problems getting drivers to work with my modem and windows 2k. (bloody modem blaster). So i installed it in my wifes computer.. Works fine in xp with generic drivers. Anyway, last night worked fine. So this morning come out and log on and everything is slow. So I say.. Hmm Reset.. When i reset the comp i could not log on.. Tried and tried but it would not log on.. Then I looked at my wifes ip.. 192.168.0.1.. Aha.. Conflict between ICS sharing ip and hers. (oh yeah, it would connect if I logged on locally). So I reset computer and kept getting same ip address. So I reset server and realized that I didnt have a static ip on server. So changed that.. Finally got all computers to log on to server and request ip but my computer would not log on to net.. So i ipconfiged that and my default gateway is 192.168.0.4.. I am pretty sure it should be 192.168.0.1. So I reset and reset and cant figure out why DHCP keeps assigning this stupid ip to Default Gateway. So i set up IP address on that one manually and setup default gateway to 192.168.0.1

Dont know if this helps ya'll. but i'll give it a whirl..

pandimus

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\lynn>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lynn
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : mshome
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mshome

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) InBusiness(TM) 10/100 Netwo
rk Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-B7-5D-51-EB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.196
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.196
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 10, 2003 9:53:41 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 17, 2003 9:53:41 AM

PPP adapter Earthlink:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 209.179.53.165
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.217.126.81
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\lynn>
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK - I see differences between Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3 and PPP adapter Earthlink. What exactly is your network layout?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    umm... I think i figured out the problem. I decided to go down to my last hope. I logged both my clients off the domain. and put them both in the same workgroup. Then I tried it.. nada.. Then I used the configure home network option in winxp. I then tried connecting.. bam... worked fine.. I checked out what the home network wizard did.. all i can tell is that it turned on the firewall, and changed the computer ip address to 192.168.0.1 I was thinking that this had to be reserved for ICS itself. NOt the host computer of ICS.. Needless to say it was a learning experience.

Next week I get the rest of my satellite modem setup. (that outta be fun)

layout is this.. win2k server in closet... running up to a NETgear rp114 router.

I have 2 clients 1 winxp Pro (modem inside this one)
    1 win2k (my computer)

Thanks for the help russ..
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    icon_idea.gif Here's a tip: If you run into these kind of 'problems' try searching in the Help and Support Center in Windows XP. You will see that the results are usually just what you are looking for. The help files have improved a lot since the early versions of Windows, it is a great source for exam preparation since these practical things are just what you'll see on the newer exams and it contains the key information about these topics.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip.. I did several google searches trying to get a faq on windows xp ICS. But to no avail.. Perhaps i need to use MS's site more often..

pandimus
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done on sorting it yourself icon_cheers.gif

Thinking logically and following a set course of action is usually a good way of troubleshooting. As webmaster said - the help that comes with WinXP would have probably helped you sort this problem a little quicker.

Remember - we quite often overlook the obvious icon_exclaim.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    pandimus wrote:
    Perhaps i need to use MS's site more often..

Yes, the best place to look for information on MS is... but the great thing with the Help and Support Center is that it searches Windows built-in help as well as the MS knowledge base.