Options

Relocating to another state for a job

VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
I would like to hear from those who have moved out of state for a job, specifically regarding how you convey to potential employers. Did you do it in a CV or Resume? Did you connect with recruiters in the desired job location to spread around your resume?

Any advice from those who have experienced this situation is welcome.

Comments

• Options
    CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    Apply directly to the company you're interested in joining. If they really like your resume then you will be called even if you're out of state. I've seen it a few times where they weren't really interested in any local applicants that they started looking at people from outside the country and/or state. Though, the outside of the country were only if they were US citizen/resident or legally able to work in US without sponsoring.
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was hired out of state, former California native now living in Colorado, one of the best decisions I have made so far, but they hired me through two Skype interviews :/ Didn't fly in here just for the job, decided to move out in three weeks.
  • Options
    skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd like to get more stories on this as well. I"m planning to do something like this soon (Central FL to Raleigh/Durham NC). When I hear people I work with moved here out of state, I always try and get their process of what to do first.

Living situations
    - If they own a home do they start the process first before moving?
    - Get a place in location they want first?
    - Scout out new houses or rent for awhile til they know what area's are good?

Hiring process
    - Find a job first before moving? (Maybe this depends on financial status if they can live a bit with no income.)
    - Apply to recruiters before and start some practice interviews?
    - Do companies usually over relocation packages or can this be negotiated?
    - Whats the range of time that's expected when offered/accepting a job to be at the location?

We have three people I now worked with that moved from out of state. One was recommended internal by an employee so he was able to do interview process fairly quick. Sold his house before moving and is currently renting. Another was planning on moving to this area to be closer to family and actually did the interview on his vacation break. Dumb luck eh? He had to speed up his plans to make the next orientation. Last guy actually accepted a internal position but relocated to another facility where he originally was. His plan was to sell house and find a place before everything was said and done but... like some plans do, his fell apart. House didn't sell in time he needed and couldn't find a place to live. His last minute oh **** plan was to live in a camper in camp grounds near his work. I would not expect that to be ideal but I guess do what you gotta do.

I guess each situation is going to be unique depending on what kind of position they are going after and the company. Highly doubting a place will fly out a person / relocate package for level one help desk vs a mid/end career position. Never know though.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    @SpetsRepair: I'm in San Diego and the housing market just keeps going up. I'd imagine it will be the next San Francisco. Looking to move somewhere cheaper like Arizona or Texas so we can actually purchase a house.

@Skswitch: If I can land a position in either of the states I listed above, I have friends and family we can stay with for a short while prior to finding a short term rental, then purchasing a house. My biggest concern is getting a job, then worry about the rest. There's too much risk involved in my current situation to just move and not have a job.

Thanks everyone for your insight.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    I would start looking on the related job sites (Dice, Monster, etc) in the area you're looking to move to. I did that when I moved to the area I'm in now. Then I stayed in hotels for a few weeks while getting ready to move. Granted, since it was just a couple hundred miles away and my boss was cool, I was able to WFH a couple days a week while I did the move. I realize moving cross country is a different ball of wax.

That said, Phoenix is a pretty decent tech market right now. Lots of jobs at all levels. The pay is fairly decent and COL isn't too high, depending on what area of the metro you're in.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ive done this twice. Both times I decided where I was going to move to, and started getting the word out to recruiters, companies I was interested in, etc. Luckily I had friends in both locations, so I just crashed there.

Far as moving expensive/relocation goes, it depends on A - the company and B - what you have to offer them that they cannot find locally. If you have a highly sought after specialty, then theres a good chance.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Change your location on any job sites to be the city/state you will be moving to. This is primarily so local recruiters to the new area can find you. Update Linkedin with new location if unemployed, if still employed don't update LinkedIn unless you don't care if your current employer knows your searching. Get a local number with Google Voice. Apply for jobs where you want to move to.

When I applied I still used my current out of state address. I didn't hide the fact that I wasn't currently in state, but I didn't volunteer that information unless it came up naturally in a phone interview.

The tricky part is if they want to do an in person interview. At that point you have to inform them, so they can decide if they want to foot the bill to fly out for an interview or be ready to pay the expense of getting yourself to an interview. Be ready to move should you get offered the job and be serious about moving.
  • Options
    Icecube0045Icecube0045 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm normally just a browser however this is something that I just went through for the first time. I'm a desktop support engineer and was looking to move to the dc/md/va area so that I can go federal in a couple years once I'm done with my Masters degree. I also applied for several in Texas and turned down an offer in Austin because it was only 12k more than what I make now and I was looking for 15-20k. Only looked in Texas because I a lot of articles that I read said they are booming for IT.

Anyhow, in November I made the decision that I did not want to work down here any more, the pay is crap compared to the cost of living and I'm looking for a change of scenery. I applied for A TON of jobs in November on dice.com and Indeed. I received the most call backs from indeed however the job that I ultimately choose was from dice.com and was 20k more than what I make down here. I received more calls from recruiters than actual employers. In regards to the two job offers that I received, the reason why both employers choose me is because they did not like the local candidates. Not because I blew them away in the interview.

For the job in Austin, I had a phone interview with a recruiter, phone interview with the manager then a Skype interview and was offered the job right after.

The DC position is for a network technician. I had a phone interview with a recruiter, then a phone interview with the owner, then a technical phone interview with the manager which I thought went horribl then was called back a week later for a skype interview because the local applicants they had come in didn't do too well. Was offered the job a day later and I'm starting in January.. I did ask for relocation assistance but did not receive any. Luckily, I have friends in the area that I will be staying with until I find an apartment. Otherwise I would have had to fly up there a week before I start to find an apartment.

When they ask why you are looking to move, which they will ask you, a good answer is because you have family in the area that you would like to be closer to.

In regards to your resume, just remove your address and city if its there. If your resume has what they are looking for, regardless of your location YOU WILL get a call.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have done this a lot over the years that is until I moved to Dallas Texas and I ain't never leaving. So what I used to do is get my phone number changed to the city where I am wanting to find a job. This is a commitment on your part make sure you are definite and certain that you want to move there. Then if you own a home get it on the market and get it sold and move into temporary housing month to month apartments or a hotel by the month work good. Continue to work at your regular job not telling them that you are leaving. Next keep applying get the interviews hopefully they will fly you out or do phone or Skype. Myself I just had to do phone interviews and no Skype. Commit to a two week deadline to relocate to the new area and job. It is wicked hard I won't lie especially with kids, but I have done it. I drove or flew to the new location and in one day got housing. Then went back and since everything was in storage packed got a moving truck. The next weekend we moved to the new city. It can be done but plan
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I applied for jobs in another country, I would also email people at the company to express my desire in relocating. Sometimes a company's website would list the email address for their internal recruiter or HR. If not, I would use LinkedIn to look up people from the company that I thought might be worth reaching out to. When I was told by HR or the recruiter that they were not interested in hiring someone that isn't local, I would ask that they still forward my resume to the hiring manager.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS