Options

Passed the VCA-NV

IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
Howdy,

I spent 3 days watching the videos on this exam and ended up taking it. I actually didn't get too terribly great of a score but I think it partly had to do with me being REALLY tired when I took the exam and not bothering googling or looking through my notes as I answered. I passed with a 320 on the 6.2 exam so I'm happy with that. I know I haven't really expressed much of an interest in VMWare on other threads but it's sort of a dream of mine to get well rounded with some deeper virtualization, SDN, programming/scripting, and security skills like offensive security. Obviously not something I'm going to be tackling overnight but I am thinking of knocking out the VCA-DCV next and then probably attending the courses needed to take the VCP-DCV next year at some point. I also will probably go for the VCP-NV as well. I know a few folks who work in VMware education so I can bounce a couple questions off them. I'll probably be playing with HoL or setting up my own lab on the site to get extra hands on. I still plan on finishing my CCIE Security first and foremost before I go into VCP land but if you guys seen me knock out a VCP or two next year after my CCIE, it's not completely unplanned :)

Thanks for all the encouragement as always.
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Brain-DBrain-D Member Posts: 134
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! my first time seeing you comment.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Congrats Iris.
    Let me know if you want a study group for VCP-DCV. More than happy to join, learn and assist.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    @kj0, sure thing. It probably won't be until the end of 2017 that I get serious about it. I'm really far along with the CCIE Security right now and something tells me that I'll need to focus a little bit more on the VCPs to pass.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    According to http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/123834-vpc6-dcv-requirements.html, you may want to take VCP-NV first otherwise you need take a required training course to take your VCP-DCV.

Taking the VCP-NV first allows you to bypass the required training course for VCP-DCV.
  • Options
    I'll probably take the courses for DCV. There are plenty of schools that offer them for cheap and I'd like to dig into the learning
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, at your level, the VCA-DCV is pretty useless. I mean, it's cheap and quick to take with no prereqs, so there's no harm in doing it. But I took the one for 5.5, and it was really more of a sales pitch than an actual technical examination. It asked a lot of questions along the lines of, "What product does this?"

I'm shooting to get my VCP this year as well, if I can convince my employer to pay for the training class. Stanly isn't available to Hoosiers, so I'm out of luck on that front. I manage a relatively small 4-host cluster at work (soon to be 5 or 6, if our offsite replication plan goes through), so I think my practical knowledge would make it pretty easy to get through the material in a reasonable amount of time.