Options

Certification Advice

veroniicaveroniica Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I've been a security analyst for almost 1 year and a half, besides that I have no other experience (although I'm good with programming - C/C++, Java). I'm a computer science student.

So far I've passed CompTIA Security+ and SSCP. At the moment I have no idea what my next certification should be, so I though I should ask here. I'm also a bit pressed by time as I have to buy something until the end of 2016 (my employer pays for them).

Tried ITIL Foundations and failed, I don't want to retake it.
CEH - lots of people complain it's not worth the money. I don't have 2 years of experience so it'd be ~$1500
CCNA - hate it, tried studying for it twice (the first time for 6 months and it was my first networking read, the second time for 1 month)
Network+ - not sure how useful it is as I already have Security+
GCIH - doubt I can pass it with just 3 months of study, but I plan on trying and hopefully passing the GCIH by 09/2017

I'd love to hold GREM sometime in the future.

Was thinking of CompTIA Linux+, even if it's not related to what I do.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Veronica

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    [URL]http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/123431-security-job-requirements-degrees-certifications.html[/URL]

I did some research about a month or so ago should still be current.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The main thing missing from this post is what is your goal. That always helps shape recommendations.
  • Options
    veroniicaveroniica Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DatabaseHead - thanks!

cyberguypr - Uhm, I still don't know what I'd like to do long term. I'm inclined towards forensics and incident handling.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    C|EH, CISA, CISM and CISA all looked to be sought after for senior and security analyst positions. ~15% of all jobs postings either preferred or required those certs. If you aren't eligible for the CISSP I would consider one of those 4.

FYI - Not in security, data analytics, ETL and forecasting.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    veroniica wrote: »
    DatabaseHead - thanks!

cyberguypr - Uhm, I still don't know what I'd like to do long term. I'm inclined towards forensics and incident handling.

Can't go wrong with SANS certifications if you can afford them
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also a bit pressed by time as I have to buy something until the end of 2016 (my employer pays for them).

Go for GIAC SANS courses . If you need to do it by end 2016, go for the OnDemand courses.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm inclined towards forensics and incident handling.
    You probably will like SANS DFIR course curriculum