Options

Resume tips

SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Current resume looks like this

Professional Experience:

Network Security Engineer
June 2016- Present

• Lead Network Security Engineer on several very large customer contracts and directing teams in change management and level 3 troubleshooting.
• Data center network management and new configuration builds
• Quarterly business review for clients
• Assist client internal IT staff and vendors on multiple projects and provide guidance on properly securing networks and systems
• Configure, manage, and maintain networks in multiple management systems, centrally managed network appliance for 7000+ devices.
• Adhere to policies, procedures, and security practices to meet PCI-DSS Standards v2 and v3 in all actions
• Vulnerability management through company propriety systems, Siems, fims, AV agents on servers etc..
• Configure, manage, and maintain Fortinet firewalls/UTMs, Cisco switches, Fortinet/NetGear APs and Fortinet/Juniper VPN concentrators using command line and graphical user interfaces.
• Configure ACLs, VLANs, VDOMs, HA pair, URL/category content filters, port forwards, secondary WANs, site-to-site and site to concentrator IPSec VPNs, IPS, DLP, AV, Deep Packet Inspection, etc.

Senior Lead Security Analyst
April 2016 – June 2016

• Lead senior analyst for specific clients and main point of contact for numerous projects.
• Acting team lead for a team of 30 analysts.
• Liaison of communications between internal and external, executive and technical teams
• Responsible for the training of new employees, including creating specific configuration lab firewalls, documenting, and executing training programs for Security Analysts
• VPN administration through Whats Up Gold monitoring system
• Utilize Backbone Network Equipment such as Splunk, WhatsUpGold, Windows Servers, and IPSec VPN Concentrators
• Perform operational functions for security equipment (firewalls, IDS/IPS, DLP, and other UTM features.

Security Analyst
October 2015-April 2016

• Management and consultation for clients on network security aspects for large to small businesses
• Usage of strong TCP/IP skills to troubleshoot network security issues that encompasses routing, DNS, DHCP, NAT, and IPSec VPN
• Configure, manage, upgrade and analyze clients networks using our firewall security features
• Manage and provide solutions for our clients secure networks through our firewalls utilizing proper policies in correct zones while allowing specific access the clients need to their networks through policies and specific blocks we have in place to prevent network intrusion
• Utilize Backbone Network Equipment such as Splunk, WhatsUpGold, Windows Servers, and IPSec VPN Concentrators
• Analysis of both real time and logged traffic flow to determine root causes of issues arising from unknown factors with little information

August -September 2015
Temp data center assignment

I was a temp for xxx. Due to my Cisco knowledge base I was tasked with configuring and installing multi-vendor switches, routers and Dell server racks with numerous blades. I was tasked with performing numerous troubleshooting and inventory management tasks on Hp, Dell, Avita, Cisco, and Juniper switches, ips devices, and enterprise psu systems.

Comments

• Options
    Where can I expect to go with a background like this? I've been told it isn't as security guided as the title I hold
  • Options
    Any tips? How bad does it look?icon_study.gif
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Indicate whether or not you was a contractor. Ex: Senior Lead Security Analyst (Contractor) Or put (3 month contract) after your job title. Some HR recruiters or tech recruiters may assume that you were job hopping or fired. For jobs from the past, verbs should be used in the past tense not present.
  • Options
    Fayz wrote: »
    Indicate whether or not you was a contractor. Ex: Senior Lead Security Analyst (Contractor) Or put (3 month contract) after your job title. Some HR recruiters or tech recruiters may assume that you were job hopping or fired. For jobs from the past, verbs should be used in the past tense not present.

Same company- promoted to higher position

Tier 1 - Tier 1.5 - Tier 2
  • Options
    FayzFayz Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahh ok did not know that.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe consider adding something like the following:

Company A, Aug 2015 to present. During that time I have received promotions and redirected my talents at the request of the company with the following roles:

That said, the rest is a lot of fluff. What did you actually do? "Quarterly business review for clients" What does that mean? Look at every bullet point and ask yourself "what does that mean?" Would someone not in your business unit understand what you wrote? The only well-written piece is the one about being a temp, it describe what you did.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why do you need this resume updated? You been with the company a little over a year and while your career progress is impressive, you need a couple of years experience before you start looking for something else. I'd drop the temp assignment position as well. My recommendation is stick with your Network Security Engineer role for at least 3 years before you consider looking for something else, 5 years would be better. My next question is are these just title positions or did you get a raise every time your title changed? Honestly it looks suspicious to me, it's highly unusual to get that many promotions in such a short time period working in the same company.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    EANx wrote: »
    Maybe consider adding something like the following:

Company A, Aug 2015 to present. During that time I have received promotions and redirected my talents at the request of the company with the following roles:

That said, the rest is a lot of fluff. What did you actually do? "Quarterly business review for clients" What does that mean? Look at every bullet point and ask yourself "what does that mean?" Would someone not in your business unit understand what you wrote? The only well-written piece is the one about being a temp, it describe what you did.

QBR's are pretty much when the business/our client gets together with everyone in upper management in our company and we discuss what has been going on in their business for the last couple of months and what their goals are for the next year. This is usually upper management work, however, as a dedicated engineer specifically for this client I am asked to sit in on these meetings quarterly and we go over how their needs have been met by our SOC, what else do they have planned and if they are rolling out any new projects on their end and what can we do to help/assist. What do they want to change and how can we help with that. They might say we have 10-20 more locations proposed to open next year, that means 10-20 more network setups, more standardized config, more work for provisioning and the SOC as that increases the services we offer to company X and these meetings are every couple of months. They are also to introduce a discussion with all heads of management and the SOC engineer - Myself ofcourse of any questions or issues throughout the year.

https://www.clientsuccess.com/blog/4-steps-to-build-a-quarterly-business-review-process-for-customer-success/
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Why do you need this resume updated? You been with the company a little over a year and while your career progress is impressive, you need a couple of years experience before you start looking for something else. I'd drop the temp assignment position as well. My recommendation is stick with your Network Security Engineer role for at least 3 years before you consider looking for something else, 5 years would be better. My next question is are these just title positions or did you get a raise every time your title changed? Honestly it looks suspicious to me, it's highly unusual to get that many promotions in such a short time period working in the same company.

Salary increase each time, and access to new systems you work with and new roles you take in that position. Frankly, I'm just not that good at writing everything down what I actually do into words, so I just use bullet buttons for temp reasons, Currently I am actually thinking of leaving, sometime in 2017 due to the job itself is becoming kind of a day in day out thing, you already know how to fix something before they explain what is wrong on occasion, you already have a plan in your mind of how you will approach this and what will need to be done. Frankly, what I make at current company it is below the market rate and I look at it as a slap in the face, unpaid on call work, 8 days a week 24 hours on call. We operate SOC's in multiple countries, and your phone will be ringing when you are on call... Management says raises are coming, however, how long do you wait only to be disappointed? We lost four good engineers last year and two this year, that opened up new doors for others however, the people that left are making twice as much at other companies, and those companies pay overtime :/
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    QBR's are pretty much when the business/our client gets together with everyone in upper management in our company and we discuss what has been going on in their business for the last couple of months and what their goals are for the next year.
    It was a rhetorical question, that was an example. Your explanation was good and if more in line with what a hiring manager would want to see. That said, since you're still pretty new at the next step up and since you have limited space, I'd suggest an overall summary of skills where you can mention business communications skills and then focus on 3-4 things in each of your jobs and write a paragraph about them because when I see a resume full of bullet points, I assume the person has a LONG way to go with business communications. Tell me what you did, why you feel it was important and how it helped the firm.
  • Options
    Currently I am actually thinking of leaving, sometime in 2017 due to the job itself is becoming kind of a day in day out thing, you already know how to fix something before they explain what is wrong on occasion, you already have a plan in your mind of how you will approach this and what will need to be done. Frankly, what I make at current company it is below the market rate and I look at it as a slap in the face, unpaid on call work, 8 days a week 24 hours on call.

Honestly with only 6 months experience under your belt, it's going to be hard to get past HR to talk to a technical manager that can appreciate your skills and that you know what your talking about.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Honestly with only 6 months experience under your belt, it's going to be hard to get past HR to talk to a technical manager that can appreciate your skills and that you know what your talking about.
    I've been getting interviews, and some offers this month unfortunately, they only offered roughly 12k more and not worth leaving right now. They tried to rush me into leaving, because they needed someone with the experience I have. It looks like 7months on paper as an engineer, but the actual experience is worth more than what’s on paper, as far as leaving from reading these responses I guess I should just stick it out and keep my mouth shut about the current operational issues we face.
  • Options
    I've been getting interviews, and some offers this month unfortunately, they only offered roughly 12k more and not worth leaving right now.

12k is a nice bump, but is this a full time position or a contracting position? Don't forget about good benefits are worth more than 12k by themselves.