Options

Need Help With Finding A Job!

2»

Comments

• Options
    CptFalconCptFalcon Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Are you willing to relocate? That's always a possibility you'll have to look into. Just so you know, you might not find something for a while. I was laid-off from my last company and couldn't find anything for nearly 4 months!! For the first 2 1/2 - 3 months I didn't even get a call back from anywhere that I applied. I know that may seem harsh, but be prepared.

Now, for the pep talk (sort of). Apply, apply, apply! Even if it's for something more Jr to what you were doing - apply for it! Sometimes it's better to just be somewhere than to not go to work. After looking at your resume, I would say that you should apply for network engineer jobs. Seems as though you have experience with ASA's. If you understand how to do ACL's, object groups and such, you'll be golden.

So I got some news. No, I haven't gotten a new job yet.

1st - The company I'm fighting for UI over has not sent me anything for evidence. It's just as I thought, they have absolutely no evidence and can't quantify anything.

2nd - I had two interview today; one very close to my house (less than 10 min away) and one next to O'hare airport.

First one I believe went really well, we actually went over the 1 hr time that we had and we ended up talking about 1 hr and 45 min. This is the guy I would be reporting to, he showed me around the office and showed me the IDF they had in the building. Their setup is pretty nice; very casual and startup like. He actually said "I will be talking the recruiter about next steps for you." So that sounds really promising, but I must realistic in this idea. The one thing I have going for me in this gig is that it's 2nd shift, so it's automatically a much smaller pool of candidates. Also, the recruiter was really pushing for me to interview and being unusually nice. Again, I must be realistic and not believe what I want to believe.

Second one; Apparently I impressed the IT Director and the Systems Engineer that they had in the same room as I. I got this interview through a contracting firm and honestly thought that I had bombed it. I answered all their questions and I knew I was right. During the interview, it felt like trying to draw blood from a rock from those two. I got no confirmation or engagement, so I said "Screw it!" and just plowed right through the awkward silence. The recruiter called me back and told me that I had impressed them a lot with my examples and explanations of the different routing protocols and whatnot. I was shocked when he told me this. So I got a second interview already lined up with the Lead Network Engineer at this company on Tuesday of next week. Supposedly, the other 5 people that they have talked were all clowns and knew jack; I was the only to actually know what the protocols did and where you would use them. (IE; MPLS, TCP/UDP, IS-IS, OSPF, EIGRP, HSRP, etc...)

It looks promising, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see in the next few weeks what else comes my way. Back to studying!
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,060 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lol

The first company practically showed you where you're going to be sitting.
    The second company was already booking your follow-up interview before you got home!

Sounds like you're gonna have two offers BEFORE Xmas :]
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CptFalcon wrote: »
    So I got some news. No, I haven't gotten a new job yet.

1st - The company I'm fighting for UI over has not sent me anything for evidence. It's just as I thought, they have absolutely no evidence and can't quantify anything.

2nd - I had two interview today; one very close to my house (less than 10 min away) and one next to O'hare airport.

First one I believe went really well, we actually went over the 1 hr time that we had and we ended up talking about 1 hr and 45 min. This is the guy I would be reporting to, he showed me around the office and showed me the IDF they had in the building. Their setup is pretty nice; very casual and startup like. He actually said "I will be talking the recruiter about next steps for you." So that sounds really promising, but I must realistic in this idea. The one thing I have going for me in this gig is that it's 2nd shift, so it's automatically a much smaller pool of candidates. Also, the recruiter was really pushing for me to interview and being unusually nice. Again, I must be realistic and not believe what I want to believe.

Second one; Apparently I impressed the IT Director and the Systems Engineer that they had in the same room as I. I got this interview through a contracting firm and honestly thought that I had bombed it. I answered all their questions and I knew I was right. During the interview, it felt like trying to draw blood from a rock from those two. I got no confirmation or engagement, so I said "Screw it!" and just plowed right through the awkward silence. The recruiter called me back and told me that I had impressed them a lot with my examples and explanations of the different routing protocols and whatnot. I was shocked when he told me this. So I got a second interview already lined up with the Lead Network Engineer at this company on Tuesday of next week. Supposedly, the other 5 people that they have talked were all clowns and knew jack; I was the only to actually know what the protocols did and where you would use them. (IE; MPLS, TCP/UDP, IS-IS, OSPF, EIGRP, HSRP, etc...)

It looks promising, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll see in the next few weeks what else comes my way. Back to studying!

Dude, we should be asking you for advice! Nice going and good luck.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    lol

The first company practically showed you where you're going to be sitting.
    The second company was already booking your follow-up interview before you got home!

Sounds like you're gonna have two offers BEFORE Xmas :]

Haha! Thanks for the encouragement. But until my butt is sitting in the chair, I haven't got the job yet.

The second interview I had on Thursday, they called me today to ask me about coming into the office again on Tuesday of next week.

Got another F2F interview on Monday, then another phone interview too on Tuesday.

I'll keep you guys appraised of what will happen with these two and the others.
  • Options
    Some more news, I had my unemployment hearing today. The employer wasn't on the line so it was just me and the ALJ.

Time to see if I will get UI.

I got the second interview for the network engineer role on Tuesday. The recruiter tells me its going to be a bit technical and to see me and my sparking personality.

Finger crossed! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Got some fantastic news boys and girls!

First off; I got unemployment benefits. My employer tried to make it sound like everything was my fault. They were not on the appeal hearing telephone call and had no witnesses or evidence to present. So I got unemployment without a fuss.

Second; I got a new job! The internal recruiter called me on Tuesday (1/3/16) and informed me that I got the job and that they would like to give me $75k instead of the $70k I was asking for! And I start on the 16th of Jan.

Thanks for everything guys, hope everything works out well for everyone in the new year.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good for you!! icon_smile.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow, awesome news! What will you be doing exactly?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just love happy endings. Congrats!
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Wow, awesome news! What will you be doing exactly?

My official job title is System Engineer, so I'll be taking care of pretty much everything in the office over there.

It's a second shift gig, so the pool of candidates was automatically pretty small to begin with.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,060 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awwww yeah!!

Time to HANG out with your WANG out :]
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cpt - Gratz on the new gig, make sure to keep this one for 2+ years. Repair your resume.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats CptFalcon
    2017 already off to a good start for you
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Excellent news! Congrats!
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Sounds like you had pre-planned patching windows without a design that designated which systems needed patched, unless it was otherwise indicated all systems were due to be patched on that monthly window. Based on how your manager flipped 180 on you, it would seem the excuse for your termination was placed on the vague premise that a lack of defined processes detailed and approved by some form of management had resulted in your mis-now-fortune. Good on you.

And good on you, GirlyGirl, for editing that post.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,006 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What a great thread/story, very nice! We all love these happy endings! CHEERS & HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Nice way to start 2017.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! So did you end up with the 10 minute away one or the one by the airport?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Congrats! So did you end up with the 10 minute away one or the one by the airport?

The one that is 10 min away.