Keeping the ball rolling: My WGU:MSCIA thread

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
Previous BS:IT Security thread here.

After a fair amount of debating whether or not to continue on towards a Master's degree, or get back on the certification track (which had its own dilemma of choosing between CASP, CISSP, CEH, OSCP, CCIE:R&S, etc), I decided to just keep it going with the Master's. I'll have to renew my CCNP by mid-March, but since I'll be letting my VCP expire, that will be the only certification exam I'll have to sit outside the classroom.

This thread (which I've managed to keep myself from commenting in) is part of the reason why; working in DoD, it's hugely widespread, and really a sore point, but I'm not going to sidetrack this thread talking about that.

I've only had the initial contact with the Continuing Enrollment Counselor, but I don't foresee any problems that would cause this to be the shortest WGU thread ever.

I don't know too much what to expect on what the classes are like at this level; some threads here give me a bit of an idea, but we'll just have to see. I know there are a lot of papers (PAs) though (which are something I struggle with, and were perhaps the only thing that made me consider not continuing on). Still, I'm going to set a tentative goal of finishing this in 1 year as well.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh! Since my previous thread also discussed my wife's progress as well, I'll continue that here as well.

She changed her focus (for the second time) for her Bachelor's, after struggling a lot with the course that leads to the CCNA:Security, switching back to her Network Admin focus. She's completed all her classes, but since they "can't" do a focus-change mid-term (despite doing it for her last time), she technically can't complete her Bachelor's until they make the change on Jan 1 and that security class is no longer part of her degree requirements.

She's thinking of going on as well, into the Master's for Data Analytics. I ... have nothing to say about that :)

Got the call yesterday evening that they managed to get my admissions or whatever done in time to start on Jan 1 (cutoff was yesterday & I got the call at 4:55PM mountain time; there were entire minutes to spare!)

Apparently I may be eligible for a tuition discount too, from my employer. It's not much (the continuation enrollment counselor said it's usually 5%), but that's still $300 per year. I wonder why this wasn't brought up when I went through inprocessing for the undergraduate program...

From what I've heard, unlike with the Bachelor's program, I won't actually have my classes available until Jan 1, which is kindof a bummer. No chance to get a small head-start by starting a week or so early this time.

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, you will probably start with the cyberwarfare class in your first term.

You can look up Cyberwarfare: Information Operations in a Connected World by Mike Chapple and David Seidl on Skillport and get a head start on reading that book. It's basically the entire course. The first task for that class is also all about ICS, so you can also start looking up some SCADA stuff.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome looking forward to seeing your progress!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cyberwarfare was a pain but its really easy.

Let us know what classes you pick out :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    Thanks for the info PJ. Having no idea what SCADA is or what it does, I've done some preliminary searches for it. This clip about sums it up though.

LOL, it's not too bad. Basically, it's a bunch of insecurable technologies that control the majority of our world's infrastructure. NBD.
    So yeah; I expect this to be updated a bit less often than the undergraduate thread. But I just got Task 1 for C688 submitted, and am starting preliminary work for Task 2. This one looks like a doozy though.

I went through all 10 classes this morning, counting the number of papers due. 16. Not a terrible number, and yet also terrible.

128 in queue and counting...

bermovick wrote: »
    16. Not a terrible number, and yet also terrible.
    LOL! Yes I know the feeling. I'm down to two classes and the capstone going into my second term. The assignments are not that bad... just. I just don't want to do them right now. LOL icon_lol.gif
    Didn't update this for Task 2; it took 2 tries to pass. Task 3 passed on the first attempt over the weekend, so that finishes 1 of 10 classes, and 3 of 16 papers.

The CM for Risk Assessment sent a '10 day challenge' some people have used for that course. Hopefully if I follow it I can make up some of the time I've lost, but since I also have to renew my CCNP sometime this month (scheduled for the 13th), I won't be able to hit it 100% until after that.

• TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good job, just keep it going! I'm right behind you, I started on March 1 and am working on C688 right now.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep it up! I just started my MSCSIA on March 1st and am about to submit Task 1. Will definitely be watching your thread.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
    Retook the TSHOOT today. I was a bit worried since I've done minimal networking for over a year. I did look up the TSHOOT topology from cisco's website, which people have said hadn't changed from the previous version for most of the questions (I can verify this is accurate), so I spent a day building the topology in a lab to flex those muscles again. Passed with a pretty decent score. Since I'm not going to renew my VCP, I can get back to focusing on this.

I have to say though... it's pretty rough. I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the Risk Management material. The entire book feels like a term paper written by someone really trying to pad the page count: wordy enough that the topic the material is trying to convey loses a lot of its focus (at least in my head; by the time I've slogged through the sentence, the beginning of it is starting to fade in my mind).

I agree with the sentiments about the book. I did the 10-day guide and found it to be sufficient for the assignment.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good job! I'm having a hard time getting into Cyberwarfare for some reason... not sure why though.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    PJ: Thanks! I have the 10-day guide; I just haven't done much more than skim through it so far.

TLeTourneau: Yeah, so far I've found these courses a fair amount harder; I think just because the information (concepts?) is/are more ... I'm not quite sure what the appropriate term would be. Nebulous, perhaps?

I'll be so glad when I move on from Risk Management (JIT2). That's all I have to say for now. I'm down to 8 sections/subsections left on it's assessment before I submit so hopefully I'll have a happy followup within the week.

I just hope the courses get better after this......

Good news everyone!

Saturday I really worked on the paper for Risk Management, hoping to get it finished and submitted this weekend. I was pretty sure it was going to get kicked back, since I felt like I was just BS'ing my way through so much of it. I did get it submitted Saturday evening and did a quick look-through of the first task of Cyberlaw's' 4. 4!!!

Sunday morning I kinda felt like I might be able to get a decent chunk of task 1 knocked out since it looked to be pretty basic & short, so worked on that. Took about twice as long as I thought it would, but submitted it early afternoon. It was about 60 behind the other in queue.

Amazingly, both went through on the first try, so time to update my sig!

Cyberlaw paper 2 just got accepted. I wasn't sure it would be; in my haste to submit it, I failed to add my references. I cancelled the submission, added them and resubmitted, then about 12 hours later realized I hadn't formatted them (hanging indent). Fortunately it didn't matter.

I've been reading the materials on SLA, since it's a bit interesting, and I think I'd have trouble with task 3, which involves editing one. I've heard that's the one that causes people the most trouble, so ... why not.

• mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm working on TFT2 Task 3 tonight, coincidentally (while waiting on the evaluation of Task 2). It's definitely much more ambiguous than either Task 1 or Task 2. And the "Tips to Success" document isn't much help.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
    Task 3 accepted. 1 more and I'll have my OTP for the term, with 2 months to spare; hopefully enough to get another course or two taken care of.

Updating signature.

And Task 4 accepted. That meets my OTP with 2.5 months to spare. Whew.

While waiting for Taskstream I took the preassessment for C700 (Secure Network Design) and scored a 77%. Since it's cutoff is 51%, that should be an easy one to knock out.

Starting some preliminary work on VLT2 (Security Policies and Standards - Best Practice). Grapevine suggests it's possibly the worst class of the degree.

Updating signature. Half of the papers are done!

I'm beginning to regret taking VLT2 immediately on the heels of TFT2, which further leads me to some regret on pursuing this at all (or at least on the quality of the materials vs the task expectations or quality of the degree itself) icon_sad.gif

Task 1 of VLT submitted yesterday but I really don't think it'll pass cause I might not even have written the 12 pages on what they were wanting the task to be written on/about. Trying to work on Task 2 but I can't even think what I'm supposed to write for Section A1 even.

Take a deep breath. The tasks are overwhelming if you overthink them. Trust me, I was asking people about this class on the chat, in emails, and on TE, lol.

Task 1 of VLT2 is the most confusing of them. Just don't overthink it, go with the threat vectors you can find in the text and the RA.

The remaining tasks are straight up research of frameworks to match the rubric.

This class gets criticized for being out-of-date because of the NT servers and Access database, etc. But to be honest with you, it is NOT uncommon to find a business that is still using legacy technology like that. Also, the tasks do not have a damn thing to do with the functionality of the fictional environment.
    Task 1 completely rewritten yesterday and resubmitted after being sent back. I'm hoping this one does better.

(edit: Yup; it did. 9 of 16 papers down now)

Task 2 I'm pretty much completely stalled on the 'processes' that keep getting talked about. I emailed the CM and the reply was that it's assumed I understand business processes (with a link to bpm.com). Really? This isn't a Business degree.

Whew. Task 2 accepted this morning (I still have no idea what the "business processes" are, exactly, but what I came up with was apparently good enough).

Worked on Task 3 the last couple days. I actually raged yesterday regarding some of the expectations. I may have to take a day or two off to calm down...

Whew. Task 3 passed. Only one paper remaining before I get a break from them for 4 classes.

• canito487canito487 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @bermovick

I too am working on VLT2 at the moment. I just passed task 1 on the first try. I might send you a PM and pick your brain for the next two. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what's expected.
    Forgot to update yesterday, since it's been so long. Task 4 of VLT2 submitted yesterday, graded, and accepted. That's 12 papers down, and now I get a break for the next 4 classes. Although C700 is Secure Network Design, which should be a 1-day class with my background, and my initial pre-assessment for C706 (Secure Software Design) showed only one weak area, the break may end up being rather short.

Update:

Worst. Test. Ever. Had a ton of connectivity issues, to the point where a 41-minute test took almost 90 minutes :D

But I passed, which is all that matters. On to 706.

Great job! Keep it up! VLT2 was dry, but definitely ended up being not too awful. I mean c'mon, it's a class about NIST and ISO lol.

700 and 706 should both go smoothly for you, given your credentials!