Options

how about this degree??

JoeNvidioJoeNvidio Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
i was thinking about trying to get into buff state soon and get into their CIS major.

is this a good choice?? anyone know what its like? im not really sure what i want to do in the computer field yet, but they say CIS gives you lots of options.

thanks,

Comments

• Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Seeing as how you are not sure what you want to do yet in the industry, CIS would probably be a decent choice for you.
    B.S.I.T is also another choice that will give you lots of exposure to the main focus of IT in the workplace.
    MIS provides both business admin and IT within a major. These majors prepare you for more of the administrator roles within IT with the exception of MIS which is focused more on management within IT.
    If you're interested in development, CS and CE might be a better option for you.
    If you are thinking about PC repair or desktop support, you could choose an A.A.S microcomputer program at your community college. Finally, if you want to do customer support or helpdesk, a few certifications should have you well prepared for that role.
  • Options
    Thanks! im thinkin that is my career path...

get my mcdst, so then i'll have a+, network+ and mcdst...then get a job as a pc tech or helpdesk guy somewhere..then i think maybe take some summer courses at a community college(maybe), then try to get into buff state to get my CIS degree. i hope i got what it takes. :p
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at the classes that are required for the program itself and see if they interest you and meet your needs. don't just base your selection off of the program title.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    gregeegregee Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    there are lot more schools in ny then buff state.

you should look at all of the different computer majors and pick the one that you like.

i go to morrisville state college in morrisville, ny.
    i am in the 4 year BT in network administration. i like how you have the one on one and the teachers know your name.

greg
  • Options
    Thanks, your right. i will look around at other schools. :)
  • Options
    PurdueTomPurdueTom Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd recommend maybe looking at a school in New York that falls under the NSA Centers of Academic Excellence.

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academia/caemap.cfm?MenuID=10.1.1.2#ny

This is what I found:

Pace University
    Polytechnic University
    State University of New York, Buffalo
    State University of New York, Stony Brook
    Syracuse University
    U.S. Military Academy, West Point

Of course I don't know how expensive these schools are, but they would be good starting points. These are schools that have programs in Information Assurance that have been accredited by the NSA.