Options

New to IT--Salary Ideas

sarahfeldmansarahfeldman Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am currently studying to pass my Network + cert, and I already have my A+ cert. I plan on getting my CCNA next as well. By the time I complete these 2 certs I will have roughly 1 years experience with IT. I have roughly 7 years management experience in Healthcare Administration. I am changing fields due to all of the changes in healthcare. MY question is; would my past experience in a professional setting help me with gaining better positions in IT? Also I know it would be very general but would someone be able to provide some general hourly ranges? (just so I have an idea of what I should be asking for, etc. ) I would be looking in the Chicago area.

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Of course your previous experience could help, it would only be hindered by your creativity and effort.

Healthcare is it's own space now and with your previous healthcare knowledge you could leverage that into a IT centric role with a healthcare spin. Such as supporting healthcare applications or infrastructure. Knowledge of data standards or HIPAA or other governances could most certainly give you a leg up.

However it doesn't stop there, you could be a good fit for service management, or other lead type roles where leadership and previous management is a must have, and the IT component is a nice have. Note these roles can pay extremely well, 100,000+ starting off. This would be constrained by how well you negotiate.

IMO You are in a good place. As far as the pay I would hit glassdoor or indeed.