Options

How to reset cisco switch password in packet tracer?

txn41655txn41655 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi, I forgot my switch password could anyone tell me how to reset cisco switch password in packet tracer? Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    You could try...

From the 'Config' tab... Startup config... Export...

then edit the file. If it's a 'enable' password, you'll be able to see it. If it's a 'enable' secret, then replace the line with 'enable password yourpassword'. Save the file, load it back onto the switch from the same tab as above. Power cycle the switch so that it loads the startup config, and you should be good to go.

You may want to save a backup copy of the file before you alter it.

edit to add... In fact you can simply remove the 'enable' line altogether; I've just tried it icon_wink.gif
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if this would work in packet tracer, but in the real world you need to enter the break sequence while booting, and in rommon enter congreg 0x2142 (this is the case for a router, I think with a switch you may be able to hold the mode button and get this done, but I forget). You'll boot to a blank config, and you can copy startup config to running config and remove the old password and add a new one, or decrypt if it is just a type 7 encryption.
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    txn41655 wrote: »
    hi, I forgot my switch password could anyone tell me how to reset cisco switch password in packet tracer? Thanks. :)

Open up the device and click on the "config" tab and click an interface. Then jump over to the CLI tab and then just change the console and user passwords. Its kinda dumb but works everytime.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln