Options

Just passed CCNA

mg910mg910 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just Passed the CCNA about 2 hours ago. It was tough but I managed to score a 925.

Wish I had renewed my CCNP last year so that I didn't have to start all over again, lol.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats!

Please share a bit about how you prepared for the exam so others can learn from your experience and this post.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mg910 wrote:
    Wish I had renewed my CCNP last year so that I didn't have to start all over again, lol.
    Congratulations!

Hopefully the CCNP will be easier the 2nd time around.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    mg910 wrote:
    I just Passed the CCNA about 2 hours ago. It was tough but I managed to score a 925.

Your familiarity helped a bit I must say.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    mg910mg910 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks fellows :)

I used the Boson Sims plus I was a bit familiar with quite a bit of the info. I have worked in the field for over 5 years now so that definitely helped.
  • Options
    David_HXDavid_HX Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hope this dosn't compromise any NDA, but if it does,, Web-Master can modify//delete......

Tips for -801:

KNOW: (Know it like your life depended on it)

1) VLAN's // Trunking configs. and all possible "#show xxx" screens
    (KNOW 'em in your sleep for Gawdz Sake!)

2) FULLY understand STP processes and how to find a root bridge, and root and designated ports w/ the #show spanning-tree vlan 1 command in a multi-switch environment. (you can forget the #show cdp neighbor detail and #telnet xxx command,, it wont help you this time........) icon_sad.gif

3) Fully understand the relationships of MAC and IP addresses and how they (MAC's) change during a packet's transistion from network end-to-end interfaces (this is fundamental)

4) KNOW how to read and 101% comprehend the OSPF (single area) and EIGRP and RIP v.2 #show ip route output (Routing Tables) and EIGRP topography, and ""#show ip ospf interface"" command output tables and displays

5) Skip ISDN config. details,, just the basics

6) Fully understand ALL aspects of ACL's and be ready to interpret them and write standard // extended ACL's~~~ Know your major TCP and UDP Port #'s and what protocols move through them.

7) Understand the fundamentals of NAT/PAT configuration and interpretation of them in the #show running-configuration command display

Be ready to subnet alot class B addreesses, have your chart and major sub-net ranges written up before starting exam.

9) Know how to interpret the private IP address ranges given in 32 bit base 2 (DAMN!!) dotted decimal notation.

10) Know a moderate level of WAN technolgies and encapsulation protocols, not too deep, but solid knowledge is required.

11) Know your cables and what cables and ports to used to connect different devices. (fundamental)

12) Know everything else about everything else (j/k) icon_lol.gif

13) Did I mention to know your VLAN and Routing techologies ? icon_cool.gif

>>>> Know just about every major "#show" command and be able to interpret their output for troubleshooting Q's.
    This is mandatory for success !

>>>> I'll think of more................. but for now, you have a full plate.

David~~out
    989/1000
  • Options
    duncnzduncnz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks David_HX, that looks like a really good sumary and I will be following it closely in the lead up to my exam, Thursday next week...