Options

Failed 12/12/2016

mkamalmohamedcisspmkamalmohamedcissp Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone ,

Unfortunately I failed in my exam on 12/12/2016 , my score was 595 !! , I used Sybex Practice test , CCCure and Cybrary . , I have 15 years experience in Telecom and Infrastructure , I felt that the exam was totally different than any preparation practice I used before. Please I need a honest advice at this stage , considering I already booked my next trial in March 2017 .

Thanks in Advance .

Comments

• Options
    80hr80hr Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How many books did you read?

at Sub 600 it is a bit concerning .... What did your score report say? Do you feel with an honest assessment that you are proficient in the areas which are listed on your score report.
    Have: CISSP,CASP,MBA,ITILV3F,CSM,CEH

2017- NEED PMP
  • Options
    I am a visual learner , So I used to watch Cybrary to more than 5 times , something for the CBT nuggets , Regarding the report , no actually
    I dont thing it is reflecting the situation , for instance , the major strength in Telecom and Networking domain , my weakest domain is the software .
    Although the report says that the software is higher than the Telecom , I dont know how !!!
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which exam, specifically? How long did you study for (weeks? months?)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    CISSP exam , it took me 3 months , I know it might need some more time , but if you can advice regarding the optimum way to prepare again
  • Options
    OfftopicOfftopic Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. DID you not read any book? If yes than be assured no one can pass this exam w/o books.
    2. You say exam seemed very different - in what sense? You saw questions about topics not covered in videos or practice tests? Or were they too deep as compared to practice questions?
  • Options
    Yes watching Videos and Listening to Audio , I am a visual learner ( This not the first exam with this way of learning ) , I used to practice on CISSP official Practice Test and CCCure exams , although Real exam questions were away different from both of them .
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cybrary videos do not cover everything. Kelly covers the key topics and she does a great job explaining the hard concepts you may have not understood in the books. It is a SUPPLEMENTAL source.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Got you , If so , So can I relay on Sybex 7 edition .
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    like others have said, get books, and you may want to drop the cissp from your user name since you have not passed the exam and completed the endorsement process... (ISC)2 frowns on that type of stuff
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    thanks for the username issue , Do you think Sybex is enough book reference ?
  • Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyone has different learning methodologies and what works for you may not work well for others. Kelly (Cybrary) does an excellent job delivering to you what may possibly be on the exam but I would compare that video course to reading the 11th hour CISSP. They both expect that you have foundational knowledge and that you have been working experience in at least some areas of the CBKs.

As far as the Sybex book is concerned.....It is the most recent study material available right now and many people have passed from reading that book (myself included). It really doesn't matter what book you choose really. The Shon Harris books are great as well as the Eric Conrad books. Notice I make no mention of the book available from ISC2 as that thing is terribly written.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kelly does a great job of 'interpreting' topics but does not go in depth on any topic. I thing it is a great source and should be used but is NOT a primary study source. I liked the Sybex 7th. I think a minimum requirement is Sybex and Kellys videos, along with tons of practice test questions. If you have time and access to additional materials then take advantage of that. This all 'assumes' you have a solid foundation in security as well.

My study sources I used were (in order of value):
    Sybex 7th Ed.
    Cybrary.it (Kelly)
    Skillsoft
    McGraw Hill practice questions (https://www.mhprofessionalresources.com//sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl)
    FedVTE

I probably did close to 2000 practice questions in total. This helps mentally prepare you for the types of questions, as well as enduing a 6 hour test.

Good luck on your next shot!
  • Options
    Hi Just to let you know , there is no way on this web site to modify your username , also I could not find a way to unsubscribe and subscribe again . let me know if you have any recommendations .
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lol, seriously don't worry about your username. Best of luck with your next attempt at the test!
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lol, seriously don't worry about your username.

+1

Like if ISC2 is hunting for internet personas claiming to be CISSP.....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    PureCoffeePureCoffee Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello. Sorry to hear about your road block with the CISSP exam. Here is what I did to prepare. It took me just under two months.
    1) ISC2 Official Study Guide 7th Edition
    2) Eric Conrad's 3rd Edition CISSP Study Guide
    3) Shon Harris All In One Study Guide 7th Edition
    4) Cybrary.it- Kelly Handerhand video course

So,
    1) I read the Sybex (ISC)2 Study guide twice. Cover to cover. Answered ALL chapter quizzes and used the online practice tests. ALL of them. You do not have to do the full blown tests in one sitting but before the exam one should do a few to know what it feels like to sit through 250 questions 4 inches deep and a mile long.

2) Eric Conrad's Book - I read that book cover to cover and did the practice tests in the book and the ones online. Easy read, cuts out all the fluff and added value to my over all experience.

3) Shon Harris All In One - I read some of the book, used the CD that came with it and it really helps gauge what Domains are your weaker ones. You cannot go wrong with this book. I also reviewed ALL chapter/Domain review pages at the end of each Domain.

4) Cybrary.it - GREAT source and whilst I did not listen to ALL of it, I did a lot of listening while I was commuting, cooking, etc. Just having Kelly in the background going through the material is good. Remember our brains are actually picking up and storing information even if we think we are not listening. I remind my wife all the timeicon_lol.gif.

5) OTHER
    a. I made flash cards of concepts, theories, terms. Even the basic ones. I used almost two complete decks of heavy Duty Index Cards.
    b. I spent a minimum of two hours (many times more hours) in the library. Somewhere quiet is ideal. For me, the Library was great. Starbucks or other run of the mill coffee shops have too much noise (for me).
    c. I came up with a study plan and committed to meeting it. Regardless of how tired I was, what else was going on, work schedule etc. I did a minimum of 50 practice questions per day. I was careful not to memorize the questions but the why, how, concepts etc. I built in some fluff days into the schedule so I knew I would be through 5 days before the exam. Note: it doesn't mean you stop reviewing or studying 5 days before. I was actually studying the day of the exam in a cafeteria (quiet one) where the testing center was. Right up until test time.

6) Remember
    a. You CAN do this. It is a road block not a death sentence that you didn't make it the first time.
    b. Never, never give up. (Read Winston Churchill's speech regarding this)
    c. It will not be handed to you on a silver platter. Figure out your weak points and tackle those.
    d. Do NOT waste your money looking for Brain ****. They either don't exist or are outdated and you would be better off spending your money on Monster Energy Drink or another recommended book to read.

7) As a life time learner and a Certified Technical Trainer +, reach out to Subject Matter Experts in the Domains if you know any. Reach out to me if you would like. If it is in my power to help I will. If not, I will tell you I do not know the answer.

Best Wishes on the Retake. You can do it!!
    Steve a.k.a PureCoffee
  • Options
  • Options
    malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PureCoffee wrote: »
    Hello. Sorry to hear about your road block with the CISSP exam. Here is what I did to prepare. It took me just under two months.
    1) ISC2 Official Study Guide 7th Edition
    2) Eric Conrad's 3rd Edition CISSP Study Guide
    3) Shon Harris All In One Study Guide 7th Edition
    4) Cybrary.it- Kelly Handerhand video course

So,
    1) I read the Sybex (ISC)2 Study guide twice. Cover to cover. Answered ALL chapter quizzes and used the online practice tests. ALL of them. You do not have to do the full blown tests in one sitting but before the exam one should do a few to know what it feels like to sit through 250 questions 4 inches deep and a mile long.

2) Eric Conrad's Book - I read that book cover to cover and did the practice tests in the book and the ones online. Easy read, cuts out all the fluff and added value to my over all experience.

3) Shon Harris All In One - I read some of the book, used the CD that came with it and it really helps gauge what Domains are your weaker ones. You cannot go wrong with this book. I also reviewed ALL chapter/Domain review pages at the end of each Domain.

4) Cybrary.it - GREAT source and whilst I did not listen to ALL of it, I did a lot of listening while I was commuting, cooking, etc. Just having Kelly in the background going through the material is good. Remember our brains are actually picking up and storing information even if we think we are not listening. I remind my wife all the timeicon_lol.gif.

5) OTHER
    a. I made flash cards of concepts, theories, terms. Even the basic ones. I used almost two complete decks of heavy Duty Index Cards.
    b. I spent a minimum of two hours (many times more hours) in the library. Somewhere quiet is ideal. For me, the Library was great. Starbucks or other run of the mill coffee shops have too much noise (for me).
    c. I came up with a study plan and committed to meeting it. Regardless of how tired I was, what else was going on, work schedule etc. I did a minimum of 50 practice questions per day. I was careful not to memorize the questions but the why, how, concepts etc. I built in some fluff days into the schedule so I knew I would be through 5 days before the exam. Note: it doesn't mean you stop reviewing or studying 5 days before. I was actually studying the day of the exam in a cafeteria (quiet one) where the testing center was. Right up until test time.

6) Remember
    a. You CAN do this. It is a road block not a death sentence that you didn't make it the first time.
    b. Never, never give up. (Read Winston Churchill's speech regarding this)
    c. It will not be handed to you on a silver platter. Figure out your weak points and tackle those.
    d. Do NOT waste your money looking for Brain ****. They either don't exist or are outdated and you would be better off spending your money on Monster Energy Drink or another recommended book to read.

7) As a life time learner and a Certified Technical Trainer +, reach out to Subject Matter Experts in the Domains if you know any. Reach out to me if you would like. If it is in my power to help I will. If not, I will tell you I do not know the answer.

Best Wishes on the Retake. You can do it!!
    Steve a.k.a PureCoffee

The best advice some one can give...