Options

Early Christmas -- Promoted!

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I just walked out of a meeting with the big VP. It turns out I am been promoted to Sr. Security Engineer. I've been with my employer for 2 years and have been doing some serious work along the lines of incident response, security analytics, automation, inside threat and others. We have a very mature security program but I was able to identify some areas for improvement and deliver solutions. I want to think I am awesome but I attribute a good part of my success to management. I have one of those wonderful managers that listens to ideas, understands them, and works with you to make sure they are properly executed with the right resources assigned.

The new role includes a bit more decision making power, higher visibility projects, as well as some quasi-management tasks. It came along with a totally unexpected bonus as well as a double digit raise so there's one very happy camper on this side on the line.

If anyone wants to send me congratulatory beer or distilled spirits, let me know via PM icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations, but shouldn't you be buying us the beer with the big raise you got? Maybe you could buy each of us an exam voucher for Christmas, I've been good this year. (Sort of)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree TechGromit...PMing my address as well! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah, congrats! That has to be a great feeling.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Burp! Belch! Cheers!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's awesome, congratulations! I'm sure it's well deserved.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Always nice when hard work pays off.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    If anyone wants to send me congratulatory beer or distilled spirits, let me know via PM icon_smile.gif

Aren't you the one that just got the unexpected bonus and raise? Send some our way!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Hey, Congrats! You definitely deserve it! Way to go!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I just walked out of a meeting with the big VP. It turns out I am been promoted to Sr. Security Engineer. I've been with my employer for 2 years and have been doing some serious work along the lines of incident response, security analytics, automation, inside threat and others. We have a very mature security program but I was able to identify some areas for improvement and deliver solutions. I want to think I am awesome but I attribute a good part of my success to management. I have one of those wonderful managers that listens to ideas, understands them, and works with you to make sure they are properly executed with the right resources assigned.

The new role includes a bit more decision making power, higher visibility projects, as well as some quasi-management tasks. It came along with a totally unexpected bonus as well as a double digit raise so there's one very happy camper on this side on the line.

Congrats man!
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fantastic. It is great when employers show their appreciation for hard work.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats cyberguy!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats sir!! icon_cheers.gif Not the worst Christmas present I've heard of...

all about that karma icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations, great news and a wonderful surprise!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Bah Humbug!
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    80hr80hr Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is killer news . I have to say I am envious for sure. Hell of a way to start the new year. Do you have a team? What are their thoughts if you do.

CONGRATS!!
    Have: CISSP,CASP,MBA,ITILV3F,CSM,CEH

2017- NEED PMP
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    lilblizzylilblizzy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Thanks to all. I'm also lucky to be part of a great team where everyone carries their own weight and then some more. Flexible enough where I can get exposed to everything I want. Pretty well balanced between red and blue Teamers. There's only one guy that has seniority over me but he's a slacker so that bodes well for me.

P.S. Still no PMs about the alcohol.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice man congratulations! That's awesome news. Let us know when those jobs open up lol I'm sure we'd love to work where you at.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Great way to wrap up the year!
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad to see other people's success - congrats!
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! excellent Christmas present if you ask me.!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Woot! Congrats! Keep up the good work. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, though!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Salute icon_thumright.gif
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SAAAAWEEEET! congrats on the promo! these stories definitely motivate all of to continue working hard. icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    congrats, I like to see the TE oldtimers doing well
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark