Options

Advice Needed

smguthriesmguthrie Member Posts: 28 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking to get some advice and/or confirmation of my overall plan.

My position at work will be transitioning over the next couple years and I really need to become more familiar with some general knowledge and Microsoft OS material. I have enrolled in the local community college for their Networking occupational certificate program. I'm not really looking to get deep into networking material right away, but this program touches on a lot of the topics I'm needing.
My Spring 2017 courses will be Windows Administration, Computer Hardware Infrastructure, and Windows Server Administration.
Fall 2017 will be Network Fundamentals, Help Desk Concepts, Network Infrastructure Administration.
The final three courses in Spring 2018 will be Directory Service Administration, Advanced Security Topics, and Messaging Infrastructure Administration.

Here are the certs I'm looking at over the next couple years along with how I feel they line up with the courses I'll be taking.
Besides the classroom courses, I'll also be doing some self-study whenever possible.

Spring 2017
Windows Administration
MTA 98-349, Windows OS Fundamentals
MCSA 70-680, Windows 7, Configuring
MCSA 70-685, Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
Computer Hardware
CompTIA 220-901, A+
CompTIA 220-902, A+
Windows Server Administration
MTA 98-365, Windows Server Admin Fundamentals
CompTIA SK0-004, Server+

Fall 2017
Network Fundamentals
MTA 98-366, Networking Fundamentals
CompTIA N10-006, Network+
Help Desk Concepts
Network Infrastructure Administration
CSCO 100-105 ICND, CISCO Certified Entry Network Technician

Spring 2018
Directory Service Administration
Advanced Security
Messaging Infrastructure Admininstration

Comments

• Options
    ming746ming746 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For one cancel then college course asap. If possible. Youndont want to go thousands in debt for something you can do on your own . get women comps and set up a lab at home and study. Yiundont need to go in debt for what you are wanting

Anyone who tells you differently doesn't know the IT world
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Yeah I agree with Ming. No need to go to college for this, you can get online courses for cheaper and learn at your own pace. I also stand by the "You learn by doing" so lab up and just go at it.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    I should have mentioned the courses are "recommended" and paid for by my employer. I'm mostly looking for advice on the timing/order of the certs.
    Also, these courses will allow me to get some hands-on experience with the hardware. I am also planning on doing my own self-study whenever possible.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I guess if it's on your employers dime it's ok, but you should be able to pass most of those courses without your employer spending thousands of dollars, I passed my A+ and Network+ certifications by studying two Exam Cram books and took all three tests within a month. While you might say who cares, my employer is paying for it. I would say you can utilize your employers training budget more wisely by spending those dollars in training you can't easily self study for. I find it difficult to believe your employer has a limitless training budget.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I guess if it's on your employers dime it's ok, but you should be able to pass most of those courses without your employer spending thousands of dollars, I passed my A+ and Network+ certifications by studying two Exam Cram books and took all three tests within a month. While you might say who cares, my employer is paying for it. I would say you can utilize your employers training budget more wisely by spending those dollars in training you can't easily self study for. I find it difficult to believe your employer has a limitless training budget.

I understand what you're saying, but the school courses don't have anything to do with our training budget. The Education Assistance Program is completely separate from any departmental budgets.