Options

Declined job offer

SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Declined job offer a few weeks ago, they tried calling me back this week. Haven't spoken to them, but I kind of don't want to work there. Any downsides to working at an ISP at a security engineer role it might be a step up and an increase in salary but I keep hearing I should stay in my current role for another year + before moving. icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    skswitchskswitch Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, is there any of reason you don't want to work for them? Did the environment seem out of place or you didn't get a good feeling about them during interview? Go with your gut on that.

Is your career path Security base? If so maybe it could be a milestone position on your way up. What is your current role and who is saying to stay?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Go with your gut, it knows.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with going with your gut, I mean employers do it all the time with candidates. What were some of the reasons you turned it down? or was it just a gut feeling? Always keep in mind, you as a candidate have the power to walk away from job offer if at any point you feel harassed/threatened end the communication right away.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't disagree with going with your gut, it's usually a good guideline. However to keep with the season and for a bit of levity... "It may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato." - paraphrased a tad. :)
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would still hear them out. What if they up the pay by 10k..... or 30k. Or give a signing bonus, or let you work from home twice a week, etc. ALl that stuff is negotiable. If they really want you, hear them out, see how far they are willing to go.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go with your gut, it knows.

This. This right here. I've had to learn this the hard way many times. If it doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Years ago I turned down a job with the City because my current job gave me a raise and moved me a step up. They called back a day later and offered me more than my then current pay, the health care benefits were better and the job ended up being a system administrator job the job title was misleading though.

My gut reaction when I turned it down was that I was comfortable where I was at and change sometimes scares me. Once they called me back and I spoke with them again my gut said "go for it" which I did and was very happy I did take the job.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    maybe your gut is confused from eating taco bell....

i say go with the ISP Security Engineer role. That is probably a good title, an ISP offers a pretty unique perspective and future employers will probably look favorably upon it.

As long as it is a good salary and role increase, I would be all about it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark