Security+ Failed Study Help

mizterkewlmizterkewl MemberAgrabahMember Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been studying since the summer and recently took the test and completely bombed it. I think it was because I really wasn't prepared for the simulation/performance based questions. I've read Darril's book and watched Professor Messer's videos. I've read online that Darril's performance based questions helped. I just wanted to make sure it's his practice questions I should be purchasing...

btw...I don't know how people study and pass in two weeks.

Comments

• _netmon_netmon Level 99 Wizard Mod Posts: 878 Mod
    This is how I passed my Sec+:

- Watch all of Professor Messers videos and make notes where I can - Professor Messer's CompTIA SY0-401 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses
    - Thoroughly study the notes and go over each one.
    - Use the CompTIA Sec+ objectives and mark each section as a checklist so I knew every point that could come up in the exam (this really helped): https://certification.comptia.org/do...ty-sy0-401.pdf
    - Go over Darril Gibsons book if you can.
    - Use practice tests to test your knowledge (I recommend MeasureUp over ExamCompass but paid for):
    IT Certification Practice Tests and Exams | Online Courses | MeasureUp (Paid for but excellent)
    CompTIA Security+ Practice Test Questions (Free but not as detailed or structured)

Advice for the exam:
    - SKIP the simulation questions until last. They may pop up at the very start and catch you offguard. They take the most time to complete so leave them until later (there's usually only 2 or 3).
    - Go through all multiple choice questions and answer the ones you are 100% or near confident in. Don't spend too long on a single question. If you don't know one, flag it and come back later.
    - Stick with your first answer. Usually your gut instinct choice is right first time, and when I changed my mind I got it wrong.

You are timed so you need to progress quickly, but don't rush. Take your time and follow what I did and you are bound to pass.

Good luck!
    2020 goals: Server 2016 MCSA/MCSE (70-740, 70-741, 70-742, 70-744), Powershell training
    2021 goals: RHCSA/RHCE, AWS, Python training

Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    Great advice. And also look for online programs that have stimulations. I think that furthers the understanding of any certification.
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Senior Member Member Posts: 314 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    I have been studying since the summer and recently took the test and completely bombed it. I think it was because I really wasn't prepared for the simulation/performance based questions. I've read Darril's book and watched Professor Messer's videos. I've read online that Darril's performance based questions helped. I just wanted to make sure it's his practice questions I should be purchasing...

btw...I don't know how people study and pass in two weeks.

I agree. I don't see how anyone could study and pass in 2 weeks, unless of course they are just reviewing. I'm right there with you though. I've been studying for 4 months now and just now feel ready to test. (I'm studying n+ not s+.) Anyway, I'm taking skyliinez's suggestions too. I've used Transcender for my practices tests and they are pretty good. Not sure what they're like for s+. Someone else may comment?? Anyway, the other thing I've found helpful is trying to verbalize what I learned to someone (anyone who will listen). I think I know something really well until I try to explain it. Not saying that's you or that you don't understand, I've just found it helpful for me as I study.
  • p@r0tuXus[email protected] Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Linking your other post here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/124272-failed-security-study-help.html
    to help those reviewing this post looking for help, suggestions.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc CISSP, CHFI, CEH, MCSA Server 2008, Project+, Security+ce, Server+, Network+, A+ King City, CAMember Posts: 641 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had to pass this exam as a conditional work requirement upon hire. I was given a two-week deadline for studying. The ONLY reason I passed was from previous studying through my Master's degree. This is a tough exam with a lot of technical questions and VERY difficult simulations, NOT to be taken lightly.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College