Options

Plan B - which test if not successful

OfftopicOfftopic Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Cissp TEST requires one hell of dedication time and effort.
In case I am not successful, I would hate to let all this knowledge go waste.
So which test is best suited for using cissp prep material? Sec+ or SSCP?
Or any other?

Comments

• Options
    mhyrulemhyrule Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From what I heard from my supervisors (and after taking the test), I felt I was able to apply some of my Sec+ knowledge towards the CISSP test. I haven't passed the CISSP yet, but just basing off my first attempt that Sec+ did help!

Sec+ covers a few of the domains of CBK while CISSP covers the 8. I am not sure about SSCP though, apologies for that.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The best exam for your question would be SSCP since those domains are covered by the CISSP and is meant to be the stepping stone within ISC2. Since they are both made by the same association you will see consistency, however the SSCP will focus more on the technical domains of InfoSec.
  • Options
    TankerTTankerT Member Posts: 132
    Frankly, I would suggest to just study and retake the CISSP.

My opinion as a hiring manager.

In the end, the CISSP is probably the most in-demand and universally accepted certification.

I have never hired anyone with a SEC+, and would never really look at that as a real plus. I'm not sure what the SSCP really gets you.

Associate of (ISC)2 by passing the CISSP sets you up for the certification, and will likely be more beneficial to you. I would also look at that most favorably in job candidates.

It really depends on where you want to go. I had someone I interviewed that had the SSCP. When I asked them about it, they said that they had missed the CISSP, so then took the SSCP. I asked them where they were in their CISSP journey. They indicated the CISSP was a bit to hard for them at the time, and didn't have immediate plans to retest. To me, that told me that they encountered something hard, and took an easy way out and had no real plans to face the challenge again.

So, what happens when they run into a challenge at work? Will they take the easy path, that isn't the best choice?

The easy path is not always the best path. If you don't pass the first time, give it another shot. It's a challenge that is worth it.
  • Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could always take the CASP, which is a little easier and the DOD deems it equivalent to the CISSP (laughable).
    I would say that you shouldn't give up. Everyone learns at a different pace and you'll eventually achieve that certification. No one in your world is going to know how long it took you to study or how many attempts you needed to pass unless you tell them.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have the required experience? If so then I thing a few months of serious study will get you a passing score. If you are far from passing then maybe think about something else in the meantime, but don't quit on the CISSP! Keep at it. I only had A+ and Network+ from 2010 and never attempted any other certs after that until earlier this year. I had plans of doing Sec+ in 2011 but my employer put no value in certs and felt they were a waste of time so I screwed up and backed off. Moved to a new employer and a co-worker started pushing and prodding for me to get back at it so I started studying in Feb. and passed the Sec+ in March. My plan was to go to CASP next so I started studying for that. After a couple months of that I was convinced to skip that and go straight to the CISSP so about July or August I started focusing on CISSP. Took the test early Nov and passed and I am so glad 1) I was pushed back into certs 2) I was convinced to go straight to CISSP.

The reason for my backstory is motivational. I have an A.A.S. in Computer Forensics & Security and several years of IT but still lacked the confidence to pass the test. I set a date for my test and stuck to it. At one point I almost pushed it back because I didn't think I was ready and at another point I almost moved it up because I was tired of studying. In the end I stuck to my plan and passed. When I hit the submit button I wasn't sure if I had passed or not but looking back, I am confident that I could pass it again and again if I had to. I think it was more of a mental thing than anything.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @=TankerT;

THIS!!!! +100

I firmly believe my signature which is my mantra as I am working on certs/my degree/work/life :D
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    I am truly thankful to all of you for words of encouragement and letting me know some other alternatives.
    I am focused on passing this exam for sure but this one hell of an exam. On one hand the material to study and absorb is almost never ending. On other side I see some questions bring more than 500 feet deep. I would try and try till I succeed but meanwhile if I get sidetracked by this thing called life (girlfriend/baby/job chAnge etc) I would hate to see all this study and knowledge go waste.
    I wish they offered a lower cert which could act as a stepping stone to full cissp
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    removed unnecessary quote from reply

they do ... its called the sscp ... but if you are close to the experience requirements for the cissp, why not push on towards the big dog? you can do it, dont get discouraged, lots of people fail the cissp the 1st time around, nothing to be ashamed of!! regroup, focus and slay the beast :D
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    How about CISA? Is it 50 percent similar?
  • Options
    removed unnecessary quote from reply

CISA has similar overlap, but is different. CISA is geared towards audit and risk, with some technical components. (Not to be confused with the level of risk management that CRISC has...)

I would not suggest preparing for the CISA with the CISSP materials. There is too much of a difference. I used CISA specific materials for the CISA.

They also have different purposes. If you want to be an IT auditor, the CISA is appropriate.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plan B is always double down and hit it again
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Yup.

In the end, you really need to decide what you want to do. But, if you look for security jobs, the CISSP is the most common barrier to getting through the screening. There is a reason for that.

By picking something else, you are not doing yourself a career favor. (In most cases.)

I.E. it does depend what you want to do for your career. If it is in Security, CISSP is often the way to go.

If you want to do IT Audit, the sure, try the CISA. But, the CISA isn't going to get you an interview for most security jobs. But, the CISSP isn't normally going to get you an IT Audit job.

So, what do you want to do? If it is Security, your time is best spent on the CISSP, and reattempting that. It is not an easy exam by any means. But, it is not I think after you have that, then picking up other certs that are appropriate for your direction
  • Options
    mhyrulemhyrule Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello~

I would suggest giving it another go. My main motivation for taking the test again even though I lack the experience is just how TankerT stated it. Certifications can make a difference in my opinion and if I backed out and ran from this certification, it would show I lack the dedication that companies would want in their potential employees.

Don't give up! You got support from the forumers here (thanks to the forumers I can continue with a growing motivation).
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Plan B for the CISSP is always to restudy your 2-3 worst domains and retake the exam within 2-3 weeks. Delay any longer and you will loose momentum and forget the material. The pass rate for most cert exams on the 2nd try is very high.
  • Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Perseverance.
    You've probably heard the "If at first you don't succeed" speech before.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    I LOVE and appreciate your replies, special the encouraging part.
    I agree that quitters don't win and believe me I will fight tooth and nail. But I feel dis hearted when I see the questions in cccure sybex and other sites. Some are way too tricky Some appear to very deep some too technical. Books have different steps listed for some key methedologies. I don't which exam bank is closest to actual exam questions.
    for other exams generally one book is enough. I don't which one book read and understood completely and which one exam bank will give me a true representation of exam and my preparation.