Options

SSCP Question

GHOSTRIDER2016GHOSTRIDER2016 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I appreciate I might be getting ahead of myself :D . Once I completed my network + exam. the plan is to look at security.

However I was curious about the SSCP which has been described as the entry level for information security certification. SSCP
and its very much technically orientated from the sounds of it.

Does this cover windows security ? or does it cover security over a whole spectrum of operating sytems ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It covers a breadth of more practically oriented security, which includes Windows but also Linux, networking, cryptography and non-technical security (policy, physical security, risk assessment etc).

Security+ is a good prequel, but not entirely necessary. I'd suggest getting a couple of years experience before jumping into the SSCP, since its breadth does take a while to learn.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The SSCP Gibson book (2nd edition) is really all you need regarding the exam. Plus it has a testing engine that comes with the book. The exam covers a wide variety of stuff from different areas including N+ and Sec+. It's not OS specific either, but if I were you I'd order the book and use that for your studies.
  • Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A natural progression from Net+ should be Sec+ but if you really want to take the SSCP, they really do stress that you have at least 1 yr of experience and it shows in the quality of their questions. They try to be vendor neutral but you could be presented with a screenshot of what looks like a Wireshark pcap traffic capture or some firewall log.
    I don't know how employers view the SSCP because it is not as popular as the Sec+, but when they see ISC2, they see CISSP.

As already mentioned the Darril Gibson book was excellent.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+