Options

Negotiation Advice

greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey guys I currently work in an I.T. support role. I make about 30,000 a year (not actual figure). I was on a one year Contract after a year of working hoping that they would offer me a permanent position. Instead they offered me another one year contract. I knew I needed leverage in order for them to make me permanent because I like the job and the environment. The company is expanding and have hired almost 80 full time employees since I started and plan to increase their count to about 200 full time employees.

I got a job offer from another company its full time for about 9,000 raise annualy @39,000 (not actual figure) I would have to move to a different island but i'm ok with the location and along with salary increase ,free living accommodations are included.I now have the leverage to march into Hr and asked to be made a full time employee with regular benefits and and the works.

If I have to leave I wont mind but I like the company and Would like to Stay there as a full time employee if possible rather to have them keep extending me every year.

How do I go about using this job offer to make my current company Hire me full time?
:
Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.

Comments

• Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_silent.gif Uhh. Ehhhh. I don't know.
    It seems like the new job would offer you more money and pay for living expenses as well as offer benefits. Even if you *just* tried to get a 9k annual raise, then you still wouldn't necessarily be breaking even. I'd say trying to extort a raise & full-time position out of your employer when they're on a hiring spree is asking to get cut. o__O
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take the new job, they are willing to pay the salary you want.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What would your responsibilities be at the new job?
  • Options
    brewboy wrote: »
    What would your responsibilities be at the new job?

It would be a kind of jack of all trades environment which I like the most as I feel you get to touch alot of different technologies and equipment. win 7, 8, xp, server 2012, printers copier, cisco equipment, inventory. but don't forget I Will leave if I have to but I'm trying to find a way to stay with my current employer if possible. Its a very good work environment that i'm currently in minus the bogus contract situation.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Simple direct and to the point.

I have an offer with another firm. I would be interested in staying with this firm under the following conditions. I am made a full time employee and expect a salary of (ask for about 5% more than it will take to keep you. Sounds like they will try to low ball you). Tell them you need an answer by a certain day and time. Then thank them for the opportunity they have given you to work there and how much you have enjoyed it. Depending on the situation it is probably best to let your supervisor know first and keep it quiet to everyone else. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Russell77 wrote: »
    Simple direct and to the point.

I have an offer with another firm. I would be interested in staying with this firm under the following conditions. I am made a full time employee and expect a salary of (ask for about 5% more than it will take to keep you. Sounds like they will try to low ball you). Tell them you need an answer by a certain day and time. Then thank them for the opportunity they have given you to work there and how much you have enjoyed it. Depending on the situation it is probably best to let your supervisor know first and keep it quiet to everyone else. Best of luck.

@ Russell 77 .....that sounds like a good idea
    :

• Options
    Well guys I spoke to my supervisor and told him that I had another Job offer and that I appreciate everything he thought me and that I enjoyed my time there. I told hr tha same and gave the offer to stay if they would make me a permanent employee. I am now officially on the clock......Now time to see how they are going to respond.
    :

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bold move. BTW when do you have to respond to the company you have the offer from?
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just curious, how did they take the news?
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    greg9891 wrote: »
    Hey guys I currently work in an I.T. support role. I make about 30,000 a year (not actual figure). I was on a one year Contract after a year of working hoping that they would offer me a permanent position. Instead they offered me another one year contract. I knew I needed leverage in order for them to make me permanent because I like the job and the environment. The company is expanding and have hired almost 80 full time employees since I started and plan to increase their count to about 200 full time employees.

I got a job offer from another company its full time for about 9,000 raise annualy @39,000 (not actual figure) I would have to move to a different island but i'm ok with the location and along with salary increase ,free living accommodations are included.I now have the leverage to march into Hr and asked to be made a full time employee with regular benefits and and the works.

If I have to leave I wont mind but I like the company and Would like to Stay there as a full time employee if possible rather to have them keep extending me every year.

How do I go about using this job offer to make my current company Hire me full time?

Given all of the items I bolded....you should be able to see that this new company definitely values your skill-set more than your current employer and you'd be making a sizable increase in pay.
    greg9891 wrote: »
    Well guys I spoke to my supervisor and told him that I had another Job offer and that I appreciate everything he thought me and that I enjoyed my time there. I told hr tha same and gave the offer to stay if they would make me a permanent employee. I am now officially on the clock......Now time to see how they are going to respond.

Two things about counter offers (yes, I have seen both occur):

1. If the company that offered you a position finds out you are using them to get a pay raise with your current company, then that bridge is burned.

2. If the company that you're currently employed with says OK to your demands, its possible that they'll hold that over your head any chance they can which means your work life will suck.
  • Options
    Well guys I told my supervisor and then informed HR of my decision. To cut a long story short they low balled me badly basically offering to make permanent for 2200 more than I currently make annually. I told them it's be fun and thanks for the experience.
    �� so there you have it folks I've got myself new job.
    :

• Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good to hear! You are much better off!
  • Options
    brewboy wrote: »
    Good to hear! You are much better off!

@brewboy ........I think so too man. if that's all they want to offer me now I will have a hell of a time trying to get a raise out of them latter.
    :

• Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    The good thing here is that they made the choice for you. It gets tough when they make a marginal offer where you have a hard time deciding which way to go.