Options

should i add this to my resume?

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to get some opinions on whether or not i should add this to my resume. Recently my current company paid for a 1 week training course though global knowledge (course was office 365), is this something I should add to my resume under my education section?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sure, just be prepared to prove you learned something. Whenever I see interviewees have some training on their resume, I pick their brains to see how much they learned/retained/took away.

If it's very little then I discount that training and honestly think less of the person - they're representing some level of training/knowledge on their resume but don't actually have it - what else were they inflating?

If they did get takeaways and learned from the training - bonus points! Most people at my work look at training sessions as a reason to get out of work for a few days and don't work at retaining that knowledge for any longer than needed for the cert test (if there even is one).
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No, not unless there was a certificate involved. Just add that you have knowledge of it or say something at an interview.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    thank you guys. really good explination 636.

Scaredoftests - by certificate do you mean a MS certification or just a certificate of completion?
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I put courses on my resume mostly to show ongoing professional development. For most courses, I also have a corresponding certification, though.

Will you be doing an Office 365 certification exam?
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Hi Octal,

I did get a lot out of it and learned a couple things but, unfortunately i don't think i am going to go for it. I'm kinda leaning more toward the cisco (ccna) track at the moment.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    MS certification.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you have a skill section you could list the technology there.

Personally I wouldn't list it as a stand alone.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed, list as a skill... don't list the course. You may consider further clarifying by identifying your skill level as "developing" or "beginner"; it could lead to discussion on the topic where you can mention your methods of preparation, including sitting in a formal training course.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    80hr80hr Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't list courses or training. I do however bring it up that I have had training a specific area if the area is relevant to the position I am applying for.

I know lots of people who will put " attending CISSP training , Attending MCSE training ..." those people eventually end up getting asked " so did you pass the test" ?

Even if the course does not offer a certification at the end , I would not list it .... just bring it up and use the course as a talking point.
    Have: CISSP,CASP,MBA,ITILV3F,CSM,CEH

2017- NEED PMP
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I wouldn't put it on the resume, but if the job description asks for that technology, I'd mention it in a cover letter.

As an IT professional, I'd really expect people to be continuously training and learning new technologies. Even if it's just updating your current skills to a newer version of the software/hardware. I've interviewed some that would only take training "if the job required it". 15 years of help desk, and I think I know why.

I've taken a lot of courses over the years. If I don't get a certification out of it (I usually do), I make sure I get more hands on at work with that technology or in a home lab. I'm going to be a beginner at that technology, but I won't be blind to it.