Options

Beginning the Certs adventure.

CodeRed101CodeRed101 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if people necessarily do introductions here but why not. Just quick lowdown, recently received an Associates in Cyber Security and now beginning the path of certs (bachelors/masters is in the future). Admittedly, I didn't realize the weight of certifications had at the beginning of my IT education/career. However, still glad to have received the degree nonetheless. I've geared up and have been preparing for the Security+ exam for this coming Friday, figured that would be a good start considering what my degree was in. Other than that, trying to navigate the various certifications, various vendors and training's have become a slightly daunting task, yet exciting. It was a huge relief coming across this site and the resources and people it has to offer. Appears to be some very intelligent people and people that actually care enough about others to help them out. Something I haven't seen all too much. I very much look forward to having the ability to learn and be proactive here. Thank you!

2017 Cert Goals: Sec+, figuring out what should come next, lol.

2017 Career Goals: Earning a position that performs Security in some capacity.

2017 Education Goals: Look into Bachelors/Masters programs at various schools.

As you can see, I have some idea of what this year should be about. Still a lot to pick up on but this is a start.

Comments

• Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE, CodeRed101!

I think Security+ will complement your degree nicely. I would concentrate on finding a job quickly so you start gaining experience in a real world environment. Landing a security role will be very difficult with just a degree. I would suggest you look for a NOC position near Herndon/Ashburn/Dulles area (there are tons) to start out.

Ask any questions you may have and share your experiences and thoughts with the community. Good luck.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome! Congrats on your recent degree, and best of luck with the Security+ and getting your start into Cybersecurity. As ypark just said, finding a position that gives you the practical experience as soon as you can will give you a head-up against the rest. Never stop learning, and find the support here whenever you need!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College