Options

Icnd 101-105

VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
The time has come to obtain my CCENT, the certification I set out to obtain when I first joined the forums a little over 3 years ago (I failed the exam by 29 points). Anyways, I'm back for revenge and have a free subscription to Safari Books so I'm looking at these two study materials:

CCENT ICND1 Study Guide, 3rd Edition by Todd Lamle

CCENT ICND1 100-105 video course by Kevin Wallace

I'm hoping I can achieve the first certification no later than 2 months from now. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Buy the voucher now, it's easy to put off the test if you haven't spent the money. Packet tracer is available to everyone now, you just need to sign up for an account. Get your subnetting down cold. Get some hands on experience whether it's real gear, simulator, etc.
  • Options
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Buy the voucher now, it's easy to put off the test if you haven't spent the money. Packet tracer is available to everyone now, you just need to sign up for an account. Get your subnetting down cold. Get some hands on experience whether it's real gear, simulator, etc.

Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    As usual, I've been distracted by other technologies (HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, and jQuery), all of which I did need to build up for supporting web apps and making some money on the side. However, I've gotten back into studying CCENT material and I'm almost done with the Kevin Wallace videos for 101-105.

For hands on experience, I started with PT, but have since moved on to Pearson's Network Simulator for the 200-125 exam (includes both ICND1 and ICND2 coverage). There's currently a sale on it, so its not that bad; totaled out to like $119 for the digital download. I'm planning on taking the 101-105 exam soon perhaps in the next month-ish but it depends on how comfortable I am with all of the topics.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Good luck Verities. I definitely understand getting distracted by other technologies (damn you AWS!).
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Good luck Verities. I definitely understand getting distracted by other technologies (damn you AWS!).

Haha, thanks! I'm completely understand; I'm going for the AWS CSA once I'm done with the CCNA....so much to learn, so little time!
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I scheduled my test on my birthday in May. So it will be a really good day, or a semi good day.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    ....so much to learn, so little time!
    ^^^ So, so true.
    byron66 wrote: »
    I scheduled my test on my birthday in May. So it will be a really good day, or a semi good day.
    If you pass, you ought to buy a lottery ticket. LoL
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    So I've been using the Pearson Vue Network Simulator 200-105 for a few days now and I've found it to be very helpful in getting hands on without having to purchase lab equipment (500 labs crafted by Odom). Everything appears to act just like IOS should and I haven't found any bugs yet:

CCNA Routing and Switching 200-125 Network Simulator, Download Version | Pearson IT Certification

Also, the Kevin Wallace ICND1 videos are a good intro to the topics covered and now I'm pushing through Odom's ICND1 book (Lammle's book was too light on some topics). Anyways, all of these items are available on Safari Books Online, so its low cost to switch between them or download them (ePub format..yuck!).

Anyways, back to studying....icon_study.gif
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sounds like fun.........go get your revenge man you got this!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would also evaluate Odom's book too.
  • Options
    alexkurbanalexkurban Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all, anyone have tested the Lammle app for iOS? i am thinking to buy it but first i need any opinions to know if it is a good or bad idea
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    alexkurban wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone have tested the Lammle app for iOS? i am thinking to buy it but first i need any opinions to know if it is a good or bad idea

I haven't tested the Lammle one; I use the packet tracer app for iOS. While updates are slightly behind the desktop version, it's free.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the Lammle app for Android and it's basically the Exam Essentials at the end of each chapter, the Review Questions for each chapter, an Assessment test, and Practice Tests every five chapters or so. Worth picking up to have to review and quiz yourself if you're on the go.
  • Options
    Scheduling the exam for two weeks from today. After finishing up Kevin Wallace's videos and feeling a little underwhelmed, I remembered I bought Chris Bryant's CCNA stuff a few years back when it was a one time purchase for $10 (that gives access for life). So he's updating his 200-125 videos and the ICND1 videos appear to be already up. He does a much better job covering the topics in my opinion and I would recommend the Chris Bryant's videos over Kevin Wallace's videos. I'm also reading the Network Warrior, 2nd Edition to get some additional insight on general theory of ICND1 topics.