Options

Part time IT jobs....

Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I'm interested in doing some part time IT work outside of my full time position. I am an IP Network Controller. I would think the normal response would be to get a job doing something in the help desk range. I am interested in hearing what the experienced techies have done for part time IT work. Anything creative that can help boost my resume and or put money in my pocket that may be outside of the normal thought.

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My preference for part-time IT work was teaching. I taught IT classes in college for a total of 4 years, and it was very rewarding. I quit due to taking a job in a different area. I might go back to teaching after I finish my MBA.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    My preference for part-time IT work was teaching. I taught IT classes in college for a total of 4 years, and it was very rewarding. I quit due to taking a job in a different area. I might go back to teaching after I finish my MBA.

I've heard of a few people who have done teaching and have been very successful with it. I hear it's good money also a good resume booster. I think I am a little aways from teaching though.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually pick up any side gigs on Craigslist or wherever I get contacted for short-term projects by staffing firms.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The money is good as supplemental, but unless you're at a university, there really isn't money in teaching. I was around $20/hr both schools I taught. It's great for developing leadership skills, but I mainly did it to give back my knowledge to my community. My area has a huge problem with education (Stockton, CA), so I was trying to do my part. Totally worth it.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College