Synchronise laptop and desktop

Hi im looking to fully synch files between a laptop and desktop. Any files that are created or changed on the desktop should be created or changed on the laptop and vice-versa. Laptop is using XP media center 2005 and desktop has XP Pro. IS the simplest method jus to use the synchronise options in XP or should i download a third-party tool??

Comments

• Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    Here is the setup i have:

1 Desktop running XP Pro (No wireless adapter)
    1 Laptop running XP Media Center 2005 (Wireless adapter installed)
    Both are part of the same workgroup
    Both IP's are on the same subnet
    1 Linksys wireless router
    Laptop can ping desktop but desktop cant ping laptop

Have mapped a network drive on the laptop to the relevant folder on the desktop.
    In my computer on the laptop i enabled offline files (sync when logging on and off)
    Have enabled the mapped network drive to be available offline

Problem: When both l/top and d/top are both on, creating a folder on one also creates it on the other as required. However if the laptop is off and i add a new file in the folder on the desktop it does not synchronise with the laptop when i turn it on. If i go to tools and select synchronise on the laptop it picks up the new folder but it disappears when the laptop is turned off.
    Any ideas on what i am doing wrong??
    Sorry if i not made much sense here icon_wink.gif
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have "Enable Offline Files" selected on the laptop?
    Yes i have enable offline files selected on the laptop. It synchs fine it both the laptop and desktop are switched on. The only issue is when the laptop is off and i create a file etc in the folder on the desktop. It wont appear in the mapped network drive on the laptop unless i go to tools and synchronise, and even at that i must do that everytime i turn laptop on.
    Should i simply buy a wireless adpater for the desktop and use the XP wizard to create a small home wirless network?
    Thanks for your reply :D
    I see you said that you have synchronise when logging on and off enabled.....can you see if the sychronisation is actually taking place when you log on? I guess what I am asking is, is it going through the process but not actually updating or just not going through the process even though you have the selection made?

If it updates with a manual synch then it should update when you log on. I don't see where you buying a wireless card for the desktop will change anything here.....sounds like you already have network communication.
    Il try and type this so you can understand, had a long day configuring server monitoring software for our customers so am slightly braindead.

If i work offline with the laptop and create a new file, it adds the new file on the desktop as well only after i go to tools - synchronise on the laptop.

If i work on the desktop with the laptop offline and create a new file, i must go to tools - synchronise on the laptop for it to be available. Plus this new file that i created will not be there on the laptop if i log off, i must synchronise from the laptop again.
    When logging on or off i dont appear to get the synchronisation box that shows details etc something is not right
    Both l/top and desktop are in the same workgroup, same subnet but the desktop cant ping the laptop?? The files within the mapped drive have the appropriate blue arrows to suggest synch tho
    Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated :)
    something is not right

Agreed
    same subnet but the desktop cant ping the laptop??

Check your Windows Firewall Advanced Settings to see if ICMP Settings is set to Allow incoming echo requests.

As far as the synchronization goes...... Try going to Start > Accessories > Synchronize to run the Synchronization Manager. Click on Setup and verify that your Wireless connection has been setup for synchronization. You can setup all of your connections for the synch if you want but since that is the one you are using, let's make sure that it is set there.
    Again, thankyou for the reply. I will be going to my brothers tomorrow probably to get this sorted. If i remember correctly the issue may well be related to ICMP echo's not being permitted but i will check. Il post in the next few days with details of what the problem was (if i fix it that is lol!!).
    Many thanks :)