Options

Need a network experts help! Very strange home network problems

TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
Puzzling home network problem, need help!
Hello,
This is an issue with a computer upstairs in my bedroom. The Modem/Router is downstairs so I am using wifi. The issue is that the wifi is very very very slow and the weird thing is, I went out and bought a 50ft cat5e and its still the same issue! Very slow internet and anything I download it seems like it stops a few seconds after it starts. Another weird thing is that the computer downstairs that is directly plugged into the router has great speeds and works perfectly.

I went into resource manager and I see the network graph hovering around 1Kbps 100Kbps and 1Mbps. I have never seen anything higher. My TP-Link 450 wifi adapter is updated also and full signal strength.

I was think it would be the adapter but since I bought a cat5e and plugged directly into my modem.router im puzzled on what it could be.

I have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz set to N mode only too with non overlapping channels.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is driving me insane!

Running Windows 7 home for my OS and have a 300Mbps plan with my ISP. On speedtest.net my upload is about 10Mbps and download is around 50Mbps.

I also went to device manager->network adapters->Properites on my wifi adapter->advanced and it shows 802.11b preamble. Does this mean the wifi adapter is running on 802.11b? If so I dont see another option to change this to G or N

Other things I tried.

I have tried going into msconfig and hiding all MS services and then disabling everything else, same with startup. This did nothing also. I also booted in safe mode with networking and same issue. I tested these by downloading random things, JRE 8, google chrome etc. They all freeze downloading after the first second or two. Same with trying to update steam games or overwatch, they take forever.

has anyone had this problem before? If i run wireshark and start to download anything i get a TON of bad tcp packets. I can post a screenshot if anyone needs.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Given the info and previous troubleshooting steps taken, I would suspect a software/OS issue on your bedroom computer. We can rule out the router since a computer downstairs has no issues and we can rule out wifi interference/strength issue since you experience the same thing with cat5e.

Do you experience same/similar issues on your phone/tablet/laptop when you access the internet through wifi in your bedroom? If not, it is most likely a software issue on your bedroom computer. If you can't pin point it, backup and do a fresh install of OS and see if things are better.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you tried resetting the winsock on the laptop?
    netsh winsock reset - Resetting Winsock Catalog and Solving Network Problem

Can you download Malware bytes on you desktop computer, place the program on a USB drive, and run it on your laptop?
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/

From your laptop can you ping the desktop computer?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Its a desktop, i have another desktop and laptop and they are fine. Fresh install of win7 home also
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you run a ping from wifi to your router, what time in ms are you seeing?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are turning this into a big issue man. Are you experiencing the issue with all browsers? Or specific one? Uninstall all your browsers and re install. Or restore to a previous backup. If all fails use your windows cd and run a repair on Windows. If that fails too, backup your data and re-install your OS.
  • Options
    ]Reinstalled the OS and same thing. Funny thing is if I go to a free proxy site and lets say go to virtualbox to download it, it downloads fine. Not using the proxy it says it will take 7 hours.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Reset your router. Maybe you changed something?