Options

Passed 1/7/2017 [third attempt]

518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
First Attempt: 4/2015
Prep Time: 1 month (achieved CCNP the month before)
FAIL 673: lack of preparation
Source: CBT Nuggets, CCCure

Second Attempt: 12/2016
Prep Time: 4 months
FAIL 658: too much focus on CCCure practice questions and ended up having my brain conditioned to expect the same verbage on the exam. I was scoring 90% on all domains consistently leading up to the day of exam.
Sources: ISC Official Study Guide (Chapple, Gibson, Stewart). CCCure, Eric Conrad 2nd Ed

Third Attempt: 1/2017
Prep Time: 6 months (with 15 month and 1 month old babies)
PASS: dedicated an average of hour a day of reading ISC Official Guide and then Eric Conrad 3rd Ed., and Cybrary on MP3 during my drive an hour each way. A month before the exam, I purchased the ISC Official practice exam. I only took the practice exam on each domain ONCE. After finding out where my weaknesses are, I purchased the Eleventh Hour and read the 3 domains I know I am weak on.

Day of Exam:
- 48-oz coffee on my thermos
- Taking break every 50-questions, four 5mins breaks
- Finished in 5 hrs and 15-mins (84 questions marked for review but ended up only changing 3 questions)
- During the exam, I keep telling myself that "I am an auditor/risk analyst, I will not make any changes to the system. I will obtain management's approval. Human Life is the most important, and legal compliance is a MUST. And yes, my hands were animated too...lol

My background: 16 years IT experience, with the last 11 years mainly working on network, systems, crypto, cyber readiness inspections and accreditations. Currently a risk analyst for a defense company with heavy emphasis on compliance using RMF.

I am not much of a reader, so the MP3 helped a lot. I even fall asleep much faster than my child when reading a nighttime story, lol. I am not good in test taking as well.

What's next? CCNP renewal and C|EH. Will study and attempt C|EH as my pre-requisite to attempt OSCP.

It has been 6 years when I first signed up on this forum. I remember starting with just the basic Sec+, Net+, and A+ under my belt.

Thank you to TE members for the guidance and information.

Comments

• Options
    uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Way to keep at it!
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's some dedication and overcoming here. Respect!
  • Options
    malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass..

How would you rate ISC Official practice exam ?
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DocRoyDocRoy Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats and thanks for exam day tips
  • Options
    malindak wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass..

How would you rate ISC Official practice exam ?

As far as helping me identify my weaknesses? It was very helpful and I would rate it 10. There is a practice exam for each domain and two full 250 questions practice exam. I didnt even do the 250 questions. If one is expecting a practice exam questions and hoping that it 'closely' mimics the actual exam, they are mistaken.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    TXCISSPTXCISSP Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, on the pass! Way to stay with it and be persistent!!
  • Options
    22hrs after the exam, ISC2 has sent me an email stating that I can now begin the endorsement process.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sounds about right. I finished my exam about 1:00PM and received my email the next afternoon.
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats that you finally slayed the beast :D
  • Options
    sameoj wrote: »
    Congrats that you finally slayed the beast icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

I think one of the most positive outcome of achieving my CISSP was that I have influenced a few of my colleagues to finally start studying for CISSP. They have all said one thing, "Im very glad you passed it, you gave me a glimmer of hope" lol. Two of them actually purchased the books I have recommended. Sadly, I'm leaving the company next month.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass! I am a fellow 3rd timer as well! I feel every bit of pain you had and every bit of joy you experienced. icon_lol.gif

Focus on re-certifying your Cisco exams. CEH can wait.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! I am a fellow 3rd timer as well! I feel every bit of pain you had and every bit of joy you experienced. icon_lol.gif

Focus on re-certifying your Cisco exams. CEH can wait.

Thanks! And you are correct, I started reviewing my switch exam notes to renew Cisco. I need quick path to Cisco renewal, because my CCIE buddy and I are looking at OSCP exam.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lol thats funny because I was in the same boat as you last year. I had to renew my Cisco certs and of course I ended up taking the SWITCH exam icon_lol.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX