Options

Requesting Certifications Advice

S7NasirS7Nasir Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I'm currently a student at George Mason University (Virginia) majoring in IT - and graduating May 2017. I've started working as a NOC Support technician almost two months ago and am looking to pursue a position that isn't as passive and involves more work during the work-hours. I would prefer going down the IT Management position but am not sure if there are any certifications ideal for someone with little experience or entry/junior-level.

Can anyone suggest some management-related certifications that could be of use to me in getting a solid job post-graduation?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ITIL is a service management certification, a lot of companies require or prefer their managers have. Might be something to look into.

I think you would best be served reading books on soft skills and presentations. Those skills reign supreme in the management world.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CISM and CISA are geared towards managers but you will need experience for those. Start with ITIL as mentioned already.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Before you jump ahead of yourself with the IT mgmt stuff, start thinking about what you like first. Develop a core background in IT, whether it be as a network admin, sys admin, or something else. Do you like the networking side, or maybe want to start within Windows administration? Looks like your degree path wasn't focused in a specific area, but more a broad one...which is ok. You may want to look at getting into a Tech Support spot if you are really bored at your current job.

Once you get that established, then you can start to broaden your skill set into other areas. Remember you need to have that core experience before anyone would really consider you IT mgmt. A lot of those certs mentioned above require a number of years experience in the field anyways. Some of the best certs that you can start with are CompTIA A+, Net+ and Sec+, and go from there.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ITIL, PMP, PRINCE, scrum, etc
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman